Goal-line technology and reviews

190 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Goal-line technology and reviews

by Royal Rother » 03 Oct 2012 11:03

Barry the bird boggler Well I think the game should be stopped after every ref's decision and that decision analysed to be sure it was correct. For example if he gets the award of a throw in wrong and then someone scores later in the game perhaps that wouldn't have happened if the ref had got the award right in the first place.

Then if a player mis-times a challenge or pass then I think play should be brought back until the players gets it right after all that mistimed challenge/pass could lead to a goal being scored but if the mistake hadn't have been made somethinmg else might have happened.

Finally every team sheet should be analysed for mistakes after all if a manager picks a player who is subconciously feeling unwell then that it could well be mistake to play him in the first place so they should analyse that players movements and if found by medical experts to be in anyway not as expected the game should be replayed.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Oct 2012 11:11

Alexander Litvinenko
Royal Rother Technology in sport (as in everything in life) will be so advanced in 30 years time that it is inconceivable that humans will still be ruling on potentially billion dollar game / season / life changing decisions without the aid of technology.

Can you not see that? :shock:

(I wasn't actually talking about the number of kids playing the game, rather the number of young men and women who would be prepared to pay thousands of pounds a season to watch a game where the outcome would ultimately be almost totally in the hands of fallible human beings... when it wouldn't need to be. They just would not accept it because for that generation it would be seen as a total farce.)

You're missing not only one of the key reasons that football is so popular across the globe but also a major part of human nature. People love to feel outraged/cheated/vindicated and to have something to argue about after the game - and this is a critical part of the game's appeal.

After every match, the major talking points - some of which live on for year and years - are 99% referee related. Take those out and the game is a whole lot less attractive to spectators and the media, and a whole lot less memorable. In terms of accuracy the game isn't perfect - and that is one of its appeals.

I personally can't conceive of a game of football where the post-match discussions are "Oh, Yes, every decision was correct" - take out the "We woz robbed" factor and you have a less attractive spectacle.

Look, I'm not missing that - I'm simply pointing out that there is no way that, whilst all other aspects of life get more and more controlled by technology, particularly (in the context of this discussion) decisions in other sports, there is no way that football will be allowed to lag behind. The younger generation just wouldn't tolerate it.

Think where we've come in the last 10 years (let alone 30 years). I'm not even saying I like it but I do have a mind that is open to where the world is heading and it is simply inconceivable to me that technology will not be, at the very least, assisting in most key decisions affecting top-level professional football matches in the year 2042.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 03 Oct 2012 12:35

I h8 to say it, bit I don't think my interpret8ion of what the younger gener8ion will toler8 matches yours. I think you're making a gr8 big generalis8ion there.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 03 Oct 2012 12:38

Alexander Litvinenko
Royal Rother Technology in sport (as in everything in life) will be so advanced in 30 years time that it is inconceivable that humans will still be ruling on potentially billion dollar game / season / life changing decisions without the aid of technology.

Can you not see that? :shock:

(I wasn't actually talking about the number of kids playing the game, rather the number of young men and women who would be prepared to pay thousands of pounds a season to watch a game where the outcome would ultimately be almost totally in the hands of fallible human beings... when it wouldn't need to be. They just would not accept it because for that generation it would be seen as a total farce.)

You're missing not only one of the key reasons that football is so popular across the globe but also a major part of human nature. People love to feel outraged/cheated/vindicated and to have something to argue about after the game - and this is a critical part of the game's appeal.

I can't remember ever walking out a game and wishing there had been more controversial incidents and refereeing mistakes.

If controversy is what makes the game exciting for you, maybe we should take referees from the sunday leagues and have them in the premiership, as their officiating will make the games really exciting.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 03 Oct 2012 13:01

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I can't remember ever walking out a game and wishing there had been more controversial incidents and refereeing mistakes.

If controversy is what makes the game exciting for you, maybe we should take referees from the sunday leagues and have them in the premiership, as their officiating will make the games really exciting.

You're massively overstating the case - it's a part of the game. It's not the whole game.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 03 Oct 2012 13:14

I'd rather watch a sport where every refereeing decision was correct and the match outcome was decided solely on who was the better sportsman/woman/team on the day. I can't believe I would be alone in that.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Oct 2012 15:43

sheshnu I'd rather watch a sport where every refereeing decision was correct and the match outcome was decided solely on who was the better sportsman/woman/team on the day. I can't believe I would be alone in that.

All very nice, but do you really not see how many subjective variables there are in a game of football?

For example, what constitutes a foul?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 03 Oct 2012 16:01

Alexander Litvinenko
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I can't remember ever walking out a game and wishing there had been more controversial incidents and refereeing mistakes.

You're massively overstating the case - it's a part of the game. It's not the whole game.

Bad decisions are part of the game, just like diving, lazy players, players demanding pay rises, biased pundits, dirty players, spoiling tactics, timewasting etc, but I don't exactly see any of them as sacrosanct either.

I can't fathom how anyone could think that getting decisions wrong is beneficial to the game.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 03 Oct 2012 16:22

cmonurz All very nice, but do you really not see how many subjective variables there are in a game of football?

For example, what constitutes a foul?

Fouls are reasonably straightforward for a competent ref to get right, a lot of the confusion comes from listening to clueless ex-pros after a match telling us that 'they're trying to take tackling out of the game altogether'. Of course there will still be contentious issues here and there but let's cut them down as much as we can, eh?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Oct 2012 17:46

You've never taken part in a 'was/wasn't a foul' debate?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 03 Oct 2012 18:14

It's not something I spend a huge chunk of time worrying about, no. Probably have been caught up in such a discussion when I've been in the pub or whatever, but ultimately what they boil down to is an argument where one side doesn't know what they're talking about - which is a complete waste of everybody's time.

Really, everybody knows what a foul is and the problem is people listening to Jamie chuffing Redknapp on a Sunday afternoon, arguing for argument's sake. Mostly.

I suppose they pass the time on here when we're all supposed to be doing something less pointless :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2012 22:05

sheshnu I'd rather watch a sport where every refereeing decision was correct and the match outcome was decided solely on who was the better sportsman/woman/team on the day. I can't believe I would be alone in that.

You're not. And removing glaring errors from games wouldn't mean 50/50 or 60/40 decisions wouldn't still be controversial and debateable. Dirk's making rubbish strawman arguments again. Although in fairness, Rother's talking out of his arse as well, assuming he knows what young generations of 30 years in the future will want or think. LOL to that big stylee.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2012 22:06

cmonurz You've never taken part in a 'was/wasn't a foul' debate?

We (in the main) aren't trained, qualified and experienced referees.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Oct 2012 22:14

Ian Royal
cmonurz You've never taken part in a 'was/wasn't a foul' debate?

We (in the main) aren't trained, qualified and experienced referees.

You only have to watch games in different countries, or even in different leagues, to see how experienced referees interpret the game differently.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2012 22:59

TBH I don't care if refs in different competitions do things differently.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Oct 2012 12:56

Ian Royal Rother's talking out of his arse as well, assuming he knows what young generations of 30 years in the future will want or think. LOL to that big stylee.

Only a tiny bit of imagination required to see how obvious it is, but no, I do appreciate that's not exactly your forte.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Oct 2012 13:24

To be fair you might've said the same thing 100 years ago and it's only now that we might end up with goal line technology answering a factual.

The last 100 years haven't seen many advancements in technology have they?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Oct 2012 14:13

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2012 17:04

Royal Rother
Ian Royal Rother's talking out of his arse as well, assuming he knows what young generations of 30 years in the future will want or think. LOL to that big stylee.

Only a tiny bit of imagination required to see how obvious it is, but no, I do appreciate that's not exactly your forte.

It takes arrogance of a collosal nature to think you know what future younger generations will think about football when the chances are you are already out of touch with the current younger generation.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Oct 2012 17:17

Royal Rother

Not sure what the man scratching head red cross is all about, but I assume you're questioning the point of my post.

It's too difficult to understand RR. The world and it's technology has come on leaps and bounds over the last 100 years, as you predict it will over the next 30, but there has only been a strong call for changes in the way the sport uses technology for the last 5 years or so.

I bet if the internet existed 100 years ago there'd have been someone predicting all sorts of changes to the game on it before the end of the century!

190 posts