FA Cup Final thread

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FA Cup Final thread

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2013 10:06

Silver Fox That's the issue, as much as Wigan deserved it on balance they only had one shot on target in the game. Had Man City won the same game 1-0 with a goal in the 55th minute nobody would be remembering the game at all this morning

Yup. Completely forgettable apart from the last couple of minutes.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 May 2013 10:23

Silver Fox That's the issue, as much as Wigan deserved it on balance they only had one shot on target in the game. Had Man City won the same game 1-0 with a goal in the 55th minute nobody would be remembering the game at all this morning

Well yeah, but the perception of a football game will always depend on the narrative. If the exact game had been played between Liverpool and Chelsea, it would have been pretty tedious. But because Wigan were significant underdogs it was more interesting and enjoyable to see them growing in confidence and gradually beginning to dominate the game, even if the game as a whole was lacking in goalmouth action and great football.

I enjoyed it a lot. The context is all.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 13 May 2013 10:42

paultheroyal £100 to win £33 - your call

I know this is after-timing but I don't post here much these days. Had £10 on Wigan at 9-1.

I didn't think they'd win, but 9-1 in a match between two Premier League teams in a one-off game is ridiculous.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 May 2013 10:44

Agreed. Especially as Wigan are alright on their day and Man City have shown little fight this season.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 May 2013 11:15

Royal With Cheese
parky Also, I do believe Budweiser and ESPN are doing well trying to bring back the magic of the FA Cup. We had the best ever season of the Premier League last year this year has been the best ever season for cup competitions.

Really?

The best? Ever?

That's a bold statement.

Upsets, crazy scorelines, tense games, last minute winners, a fairy tale story and two teams nobody would have backed to win either competition. Find me a more entertaining and enjoyable year for both cup competitions?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2013 11:31

parky
Royal With Cheese
parky Also, I do believe Budweiser and ESPN are doing well trying to bring back the magic of the FA Cup. We had the best ever season of the Premier League last year this year has been the best ever season for cup competitions.

Really?

The best? Ever?

That's a bold statement.

Upsets, crazy scorelines, tense games, last minute winners, a fairy tale story and two teams nobody would have backed to win either competition. Find me a more entertaining and enjoyable year for both cup competitions?

I could point to West Ham in 1980, Coventry in 1987 or Wimbledon in 1988 being the better years for the FA Cup. I also thought the Liverpool West Ham final was pretty special in 2005 and had plenty of upsets along the way.
I found neither final particularly interesting this season. The League Cup final was the most one sided I've seen in a long time and the FA Cup final was as dull as ditch water until the 93rd Minute.

As for the league - I'll take Arsenal's win over Liverpool at Anfield 2-0 to clinch the title in 1989 as the greatest end to a season in the League.

But that's my opinion - rather than present that as a fact which is what you tried to do.

It saddens me to think you actually think this has been the best set of cup campaigns ever. To have the cup final on the same day as other games is a national disgrace and the importance of such a game has long since diminished in the national psyche.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 13 May 2013 11:40

Didn't bother watching it as was out building a Ray Mears type shelter with the kids. Agree that getting leathered and watching it
is prolly a good way to go. Like a film it's only there to provide 90 mins entertainment. Its not really gonna change you're life

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 May 2013 12:02

Royal With Cheese
parky
Royal With Cheese Really?

The best? Ever?

That's a bold statement.

I could point to West Ham in 1980, Coventry in 1987 or Wimbledon in 1988 being the better years for the FA Cup. I also thought the Liverpool West Ham final was pretty special in 2005 and had plenty of upsets along the way.
I found neither final particularly interesting this season. The League Cup final was the most one sided I've seen in a long time and the FA Cup final was as dull as ditch water until the 93rd Minute.

As for the league - I'll take Arsenal's win over Liverpool at Anfield 2-0 to clinch the title in 1989 as the greatest end to a season in the League.

But that's my opinion - rather than present that as a fact which is what you tried to do.

It saddens me to think you actually think this has been the best set of cup campaigns ever. To have the cup final on the same day as other games is a national disgrace and the importance of such a game has long since diminished in the national psyche.

I didn't say that they were the best ever finals but more that, the overall campaign was fantastic because of the reasons I gave. The same goes for the league season over the course of the season last year had everything but notice I said Premier League season not 'best end to a season.'

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 13 May 2013 12:11

Actually, last years title finale was closer and, for me, more entertaining.

The FA Cup this year was as good as the crazy gang vintage - save for the goal coming in the last minute.....

The game was dull as dish water up until that point? Please, I guess the Dons game was equally dull then?

The league cup was completely one sided, to its detriment. However, the refreshing chage as to who won the cups this year does make it a year to stand out.

In terms of campaigns re the cups, there were clearly similar levels of upsets and good end to end games, like most years. The league this year wasn't vintage due to the failure of a challenger(s) to United.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 13 May 2013 12:15

Last year was extremely good, but not as good as '89. I could add "FACT" to make my point, but surely its superfluous.

89 was also a very good cup final year. Merseyside derby, Hillsborough adding an extra frisson and Stuart Mcall's fantastic, but doomed, attempt to prevent a Liverpool victory, and an appropri8 farewell to the 80s with Liverpool's all-tache attack.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 May 2013 12:22

Bandini Last year was extremely good, but not as good as '89. I could add "FACT" to make my point, but surely its superfluous.

89 was also a very good cup final year. Merseyside derby, Hillsborough adding an extra frisson and Stuart Mcall's fantastic, but doomed, attempt to prevent a Liverpool victory, and an appropri8 farewell to the 80s with Liverpool's all-tache attack.

I didn't add fact to my point at all. Nor was I treating it as a fact.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 May 2013 12:22

Tails Actually, last years title finale was closer and, for me, more entertaining.

The FA Cup this year was as good as the crazy gang vintage - save for the goal coming in the last minute.....

The game was dull as dish water up until that point? Please, I guess the Dons game was equally dull then?

Very similar deciding goal, too.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2013 13:30

parky I didn't say that they were the best ever finals but more that, the overall campaign was fantastic because of the reasons I gave. The same goes for the league season over the course of the season last year had everything but notice I said Premier League season not 'best end to a season.'

You said the FA Cup and League Cup this year were the best ever. I'm merely suggesting that my interpretation is slightly different and the reasons for that.

Your assertation that having a beer sponsor also involved makes it better repulses me greatly.

Fcuk me - football existed before the Premier League and sponsorship so to narrow it down to 21 years out of a competition that's been going since 1888 sums up everything I hate about football at the moment.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2013 13:48

Sorry. That could have been phrased slightly less harsh.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 May 2013 14:01

I honestly can't remember who even won the league cup this season, and I can't be arsed to Google it either.

Either I am getting too old now or it wasn't very memorable at all...

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 May 2013 14:08

Royal With Cheese I also thought the Liverpool West Ham final was pretty special in 2005 and had plenty of upsets along the way.

H8 to be a pedantic kant but it was 2006, m8.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2013 14:14

Big Foot
Royal With Cheese I also thought the Liverpool West Ham final was pretty special in 2005 and had plenty of upsets along the way.

H8 to be a pedantic kant but it was 2006, m8.

Typo.

Shit happens etc....

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 13 May 2013 14:50

dizzynewheights Wouldn't put it on twitter coz I don't want the attention but according to my pal who was at the game today Chamakh was ther with, presumably, his boyfriend, snogging the face off him in public and all that :| :?

Sorry, but I'm calling horsesh!t. With so much stigma around gay footballers, I highly doubt he would do it in such a public way.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 May 2013 15:14

FA Cup finals are almost always poor games. Going back over the last 25 years from memory I would say the following were good games:

More often than not they're dour affairs and the losing side doesn't trouble the scorers.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 May 2013 15:18

I remember 1991 quite fondly. Possibly just nostalgia.