World Cup Coverage

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

World Cup Coverage

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jul 2013 18:07

Despite FIFA and UEFA's best efforts

The World Cup will remain free-to-watch-for-all on terrestrial TV

They lost their appeal to maximi$e their assets by selling it off.

Just...as it should always be....it'll make sense to you all one day

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: World Cup Coverage

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Jul 2013 22:07

Have to say I'm very surprised and very chuffed that the Euro courts back this tbh

Fook you Blatter & Fook you Platini

RedRum

by RedRum » 19 Jul 2013 00:15

Could you imagine the outrage if everyone had to pay for sky sports to watch England? :shock:

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 19 Jul 2013 09:04

A positive decisions in our favour by the EU for once some might say..

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Jul 2013 09:10

RedRum Could you imagine the outrage if everyone had to pay for sky sports to watch England? :shock:

we already do for the Ashes.

Plus I'd rather pay Sky than watch anything on ITV

#contrarylux

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jul 2013 10:14

^ 'greed Lux. Imagine how terrible it would be if we actually got some knowledgeable indepth analysis at a World Cup.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 19 Jul 2013 10:27

LUX
RedRum Could you imagine the outrage if everyone had to pay for sky sports to watch England? :shock:

#contrarylux

Can’t really expect a terrestrial channel to dedicate 25 days from 10 till 7 for the Ashes though. It’s the main reason to have Sky in the first place.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jul 2013 10:43

You can. BBC have BBC3 and BBC4 sat there doing nothing during the day.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 19 Jul 2013 11:17

6ft Kerplunk You can. BBC have BBC3 and BBC4 sat there doing nothing during the day.

Of course. Sorry I'd forgotten we've all gone digital. Sort it out BBC, so I don't have to pay for Sky.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Jul 2013 11:33

If that England football team were on sky I'd cancel my subscription

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Jul 2013 12:02

Magic Hat
LUX

#contrarylux

Can’t really expect a terrestrial channel to dedicate 25 days from 10 till 7 for the Ashes though. It’s the main reason to have Sky in the first place.

I thought C4 used to do it and I'm fairly sure I was off school and watching the Ashes in the early 90s on BBC2 (I actually think I saw that famous first Warne wicket 'live')

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 19 Jul 2013 12:45

6ft Kerplunk ^ 'greed Lux. Imagine how terrible it would be if we actually got some knowledgeable indepth analysis at a World Cup.

Actually think that both BBC and ITV's pundit choice at the last World Cup / Euros did lead to some better analysis. Just a pity they don't use them domestically.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 19 Jul 2013 13:31

Whore Jackie
6ft Kerplunk ^ quote]

Actually think that both BBC and ITV's pundit choice at the last World Cup / Euros did lead to some better analysis. Just a pity they don't use them domestically.

The overseas based ones mainly...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Jul 2013 18:34

stealthpapes
Magic Hat

I thought C4 used to do it and I'm fairly sure I was off school and watching the Ashes in the early 90s on BBC2 (I actually think I saw that famous first Warne wicket 'live')

Yes, the ashes used to be live, every ball, on BBC2, certainly as far back as the mid 80s. In fact ever summer series was covered in full, along with the one-day internationals. They'd show a fair bit of live county cricket too - mainly the Sunday league, but also cup cricket.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2013 16:13

stealthpapes
Magic Hat
LUX

#contrarylux

Yep, used to love lazing infront of the Ashes of a summer

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 Jul 2013 17:36

stealthpapes
Magic Hat

Yes, the ashes used to be live, every ball, on BBC2, certainly as far back as the mid 80s. In fact ever summer series was covered in full, along with the one-day internationals. They'd show a fair bit of live county cricket too - mainly the Sunday league, but also cup cricket.

Except it wasn't "every ball" - you'd lose some for the news at lunchtime, and if play over-ran they'd cut it off unless it was really dramatic.

There isn't a free-to-air broadcaster who's prepared to dedicate the time needed without a break - and guarantee that coverage.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 20 Jul 2013 21:42

Plus they (BBC2) were prone to cutting away from important passages of play to cover the 2.45 from Newton Abbot

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jul 2013 23:06

bobbybottler Plus they (BBC2) were prone to cutting away from important passages of play to cover the 2.45 from Newton Abbot

A small price to pay to not give money to that tax dodging Aussie scumbag.

Fond memories of Test Cricket on BBC2 in the 80's, the unbeatable Windies, the 81 and 85 Ashes Series, India 9 down, Kapil Dev smacking Eddie Hemmings for 4 consecutive 6's to save the follow on with the No11 promptly going 1st ball of the next over.

And who can forget the 2005 Ashes on Channel 4.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 21 Jul 2013 09:33

Alexander Litvinenko
Except it wasn't "every ball" - you'd lose some for the news at lunchtime, and if play over-ran they'd cut it off unless it was really dramatic.

There isn't a free-to-air broadcaster who's prepared to dedicate the time needed without a break - and guarantee that coverage.

I think cutting off for the news etc was more about broadcasting rules (over being contractually obliged to show the news) rather than an unwillingness to show the full play.

If a station is prepared to clear the decks for a full day of broadcast, it makes little sense to suggest that seven hours of coverage is unacceptable, but they'd be fine with 6 hours and 45 minutes if they broke off for the news.

Either way, the implication that before sky came along test match coverage was limited is way off the mark.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 21 Jul 2013 17:50

Alexander Litvinenko

I think cutting off for the news etc was more about broadcasting rules (over being contractually obliged to show the news) rather than an unwillingness to show the full play.

If a station is prepared to clear the decks for a full day of broadcast, it makes little sense to suggest that seven hours of coverage is unacceptable, but they'd be fine with 6 hours and 45 minutes if they broke off for the news.

Either way, the implication that before sky came along test match coverage was limited is way off the mark.

I'm not saying it was limited - but it certainly had some restrictions, and it certainly wasn't "every ball".

And a free-to-air just isn't prepared to clear the decks for a full day of broadcast cricket - that's a simple fact. It doesn't suit them or their audience profiles.