Oxford United

marcusopp

Oxford United

by marcusopp » 26 Jul 2013 13:29

When i started going to Reading games in the late 80's/ early 90's Oxford were the bigger club, and local, so we hated them. Most of of the songs sung in the south bank were about Oxford, which is why we always had a great atmosphere. We could all relate to it, we all hated Oxford!
Now, the new fans must hear a few mutterings about Oxford and wonder what it's all about. It's difficult to hate them when they're so sh1t. I laughed my head off when they were relagated to the conference and couldn't finish their new ground.
To cut a long story short, we need to assign a new nemasis. I suggest QPR, any other suggestions?
If we can find someone good and really hate them, we might bring some atmos to the mad stad!

Absent Dad

Re: Oxford United

by Absent Dad » 26 Jul 2013 14:27

I hear you Marcus.

I think London clubs are out though really, you're never going to generate much hatred in return as they've all got their own rivals already.

The Brighton and Bournemouth rivalries amuse me and could possibly be developed.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Jul 2013 15:36

Watford is probably an obvious one as well.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 26 Jul 2013 21:48

Barry the bird boggler Watford is probably an obvious one as well.

I think it's unlikely we'll get any 0-0's against them this season too. Should be two cracking games with both clubs looking for promotion, and local ish as well gives it another edge.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Jul 2013 22:04

You can't just invent a local rival. The whole idea is daft.

And as it happens I love it that Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot are all crap, having to look up at us, knowing that kids from their areas are growing up as Reading supporters, and knowing that barring a seismic shift, they won't be at our level consistently ever again.

Yes, it might be fun if there was some other local team on more or less the same level, but we can't just decide we hate Watford because, let's face it, we don't hate Watford. We don't give them a second thought, and nor do they give a toss about us.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 26 Jul 2013 22:10

A lot of fans hate Chelsea, but just as many also support Chelsea.

Plus, like they would ever give a toss about us.

Bournemouth this season could be interesting though...

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 26 Jul 2013 23:07

It is funny because we're looking for a rival in the football league now Luton seem to be doing their very best to stay in non-league football.

Probably end up being MK Dons...or at the moment if our forum Is anything to go by Palace.

Just don't be "bitter" about our current set up and you'll be ok...

Of course we do play in Oxford yellow...

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 27 Jul 2013 00:38

Super_horns It is funny because we're looking for a rival in the football league now Luton seem to be doing their very best to stay in non-league football.

Probably end up being MK Dons...or at the moment if our forum Is anything to go by Palace.

Just don't be "bitter" about our current set up and you'll be ok...

Of course we do play in Oxford yellow...

What would it take to create a rivalry. Could a few keyboard warriors manufacture it with tall tales about what pcunts the rival fans have been (violence against elderly/disabled fans etc). With that in mind....

...why don't you fcuk off back to your own site you pikey Watford pcunt

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 27 Jul 2013 01:23

I don't like West Ham and QPR

just some bloke

by just some bloke » 27 Jul 2013 06:11

Rivalries don't necessarily need to be local. Wycombe and Colchester have had a cracking rivalry going back to the mid-80s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A57256914

One of the rivalry's best moments in 1991. I was at that game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqOEJ-tnY0

Maybe Reading could manufacture an obscure rivalry against someone like Leicester or Ipswich?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 27 Jul 2013 08:05

We got name checked in the Guardian for "our rivalry" with West Ham according to them all stemming from the Pardew affair.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 27 Jul 2013 09:32

Rev Algenon Stickleback H You can't just invent a local rival. The whole idea is daft.

And as it happens I love it that Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot are all crap, having to look up at us, knowing that kids from their areas are growing up as Reading supporters, and knowing that barring a seismic shift, they won't be at our level consistently ever again.

Yes, it might be fun if there was some other local team on more or less the same level, but we can't just decide we hate Watford because, let's face it, we don't hate Watford. We don't give them a second thought, and nor do they give a toss about us.

i do not know a single person from frimley that supports reading.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Jul 2013 10:19

Well that's definitive. :|

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 27 Jul 2013 11:04

Platypuss Well that's definitive. :|

no,it was observational.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Jul 2013 16:19

We probably need another decade at the level we're at to eradicate the common memory of us being small-time and shit. QPR seems to be simmering nicely. Give it time.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Jul 2013 18:03

just some bloke Rivalries don't necessarily need to be local. Wycombe and Colchester have had a cracking rivalry going back to the mid-80s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A57256914

One of the rivalry's best moments in 1991. I was at that game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqOEJ-tnY0

Maybe Reading could manufacture an obscure rivalry against someone like Leicester or Ipswich?

Similarly Gillingham and Swindon have a rivalry. Unless it is an across town or city rivalry it just seems a bit pants to me.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 28 Jul 2013 08:47

frimmers3
Rev Algenon Stickleback H You can't just invent a local rival. The whole idea is daft.

Just how many people from a population of c12K would a reclusive keyboard warrior know anyway?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 28 Jul 2013 09:07

Cmonurz lives in Frimley I think.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 28 Jul 2013 09:43

bobby m's syrup
frimmers3

Just how many people from a population of c12K would a reclusive keyboard warrior know anyway?

after living in the village for more than fifty years,quite a few.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Jul 2013 12:58

Platypuss Well that's definitive. :|

:lol: