The Plight of Ex Pros

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
One8Seven1

The Plight of Ex Pros

by One8Seven1 » 04 Aug 2013 15:01

Former Arsenal and England star, and Sky Pundit Kenny Samson has apparently been sleeping rough.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/foot ... 35400.html

Sansom, 54, fell on hard times after retiring, with alcohol and gambling filling the free hours in the day.

After quitting playing professionally at the age of 36, he has played non-league and Masters football while carving out a career doing punditry for several TV channels.

Despite having been described by former Gunners boss George Graham as a "model professional" during his playing days, the former left-back told The Sun:
"I've been living homeless for 10 days. That's because I've got no money, I'm a drunk, I'm feeling not very well and I'm a gambler. "I've been living on the street. It's not good living on the bench."

According to The Sun, Sansom – who is England’s second-most capped full-back after Ashley Cole – was taken in by his sister but disappeared again after a few days.
Londoner Sansom had a long and illustrious playing career, coming through the ranks at Crystal Palace before joining Arsenal in 1980.

He became an ever-present for England, playing in two World Cups and two European Championships, spending eight years at Arsenal and later turning out for Newcastle United, QPR, Coventry City, Everton, Brentford and Watford.

Toon Toon Blue army

Re: The Plight of Ex Pros

by Toon Toon Blue army » 04 Aug 2013 15:06

No sympathy at all for any ex pros who fall on hard times. If you knew how much they get offered for free on a plate; coaching qualifications, educational courses, business courses, vocational skills etc etc. There is no one to blame other than themselves. The PFA literally give money away.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2013 15:07

Was never the same after Jerry Williams skinned him time and again at Elm Park!

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 04 Aug 2013 16:08

He was never a model pro though, he had a shocking gambling addiction whilst as a player, no surprise to see George Graham showing indifference to a player's off-field problems.

Sansom needs to consider his former team-mate Paul Vaessen, as he (Sansom) still has a chance to sort his issues out.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 08 Aug 2013 15:38

Saw John Hartson chuffing up a hill on a mountain bike at Center Parcs in Longleat last week.

His villa wasn't as nice as mine. He's clearly fallen on hard times too.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Aug 2013 15:51

Didn't Paul Merson have to move back in with his Mum?

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 08 Aug 2013 16:02

^ Yes. And John Terry was so 'hard up', that he was forced to move in with Wayne Bridge's missus (albeit temporarily, and via the back door etc)

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 08 Aug 2013 16:09

Toon Toon Blue army No sympathy at all for any ex pros who fall on hard times. If you knew how much they get offered for free on a plate; coaching qualifications, educational courses, business courses, vocational skills etc etc. There is no one to blame other than themselves. The PFA literally give money away.

I have some sympathy for him as any sentient human being should

but on the flipside, footballers are very rarely heroes, they're basically chavs who get 15 years at earning serious money

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Aug 2013 17:58

Wax Jacket
Toon Toon Blue army No sympathy at all for any ex pros who fall on hard times. If you knew how much they get offered for free on a plate; coaching qualifications, educational courses, business courses, vocational skills etc etc. There is no one to blame other than themselves. The PFA literally give money away.

I have some sympathy for him as any sentient human being should

yep, could happen to any of us

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 08 Aug 2013 18:35

BraisingsteakRoyal Saw John Hartson chuffing up a hill on a mountain bike at Center Parcs in Longleat last week.

I doubt he cares much about his standard of villa, and cares more for staying free of cancer.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Aug 2013 19:21

One8Seven1
BraisingsteakRoyal Saw John Hartson chuffing up a hill on a mountain bike at Center Parcs in Longleat last week.

I doubt he cares much about his standard of villa, and cares more for staying free of cancer.

I'm pretty sure that when it was initially announced that he had cancer, it was stated that he had secondary cancer in his lymphatic system which is just about as serious as it gets. To be honest, if I'd seen him chuffing up a hill on a mountain bike in Centre Parcs, I'd have given him a oxf*rd great pat on the back at the top.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Aug 2013 19:35

We were there at the same time!! My stepson saw someone in a Reading shirt and shouted URZZZZ and got a look of derision for his efforts! :wink:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Aug 2013 20:19

9 bottles of wine a day - he'd already had three when teh sun interviewed him in the morning...

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 09 Aug 2013 09:12

From Despair To Where?
One8Seven1

I'm pretty sure that when it was initially announced that he had cancer, it was stated that he had secondary cancer in his lymphatic system which is just about as serious as it gets. To be honest, if I'd seen him chuffing up a hill on a mountain bike in Centre Parcs, I'd have given him a oxf*rd great pat on the back at the top.

Massive whoosh to both of you.

I'm sure he would have appreciated your patronising pat on the back though.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Aug 2013 09:44

LOL

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1