Hob Nob Legend

Re: England Squad

by Wax Jacket » 04 Feb 2014 10:48

Cahill should be captain afterwards

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2014 11:18

With Steven Caulker next to him, I hope.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 Feb 2014 11:28

winchester_royal Hart

Walker
Jags
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Wilshere/Henderson

Sturridge
Barkley
Lallana

Rooney

Personally, I would take a squad of 23, not 11/12, but that's just me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 11:36

Sanguine With Steven Caulker next to him, I hope.

At 22 I think Caulker is at a good stage of his career to kick on claim a place in the side after the World Cup, especially with Jones and Smalling seemingly struggling at United and the other options all being late 20's and early 30's.

There aren't a lot of other young centre backs coming through from what I've seen, certainly not ball playing ones. Only one I can think of at the moment is Andre Wisdom (not ball playing). I still think Rodwell would do well back there as I don't think he's dynamic enough for the centre of the park.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2014 11:46

I expect Wisdom to become the player that Micah Richards should have been, fully expect he will be the regular England right-back for a number of years.

Agreed re centre-backs – when Smalling and Jones came through we seemed to have an embarrassment of riches at CB, but the cupboard now looks a little bare. Not to say Jagielka, Lescott and Cahill aren’t adequate, but nor are they of Terry or Ferdinand’s class (at their best), or indeed of the class of any regular England centre-back I can think of. Martin Kelly has had horrendous injuries, and at 22, I think, probably also at the point where he nows needs to establish himself in the Liverpool first team and prove himself worthy of the England squad.

Wisdom Caulker Smalling Shaw

should be the future, but as we've seen with Smalling, Jones and Richards, you never really know how players will develop.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 04 Feb 2014 12:02

Sanguine I expect Wisdom to become the player that Micah Richards should have been, fully expect he will be the regular England right-back for a number of years.

Agreed re centre-backs – when Smalling and Jones came through we seemed to have an embarrassment of riches at CB, but the cupboard now looks a little bare. Not to say Jagielka, Lescott and Cahill aren’t adequate, but nor are they of Terry or Ferdinand’s class (at their best), or indeed of the class of any regular England centre-back I can think of. Martin Kelly has had horrendous injuries, and at 22, I think, probably also at the point where he nows needs to establish himself in the Liverpool first team and prove himself worthy of the England squad.

Wisdom Caulker Smalling Shaw

should be the future, but as we've seen with Smalling, Jones and Richards, you never really know how players will develop.

Find it interesting you would go with Smalling over Jones.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2014 12:04

I think Smalling has all the attributes to be a beast of a defender, it's his head needs working on. With a bit less indecision and better positioning, he'd be pushing for a starting place.

Jones needs a season at centre-back for United behind him.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Feb 2014 12:10

Sanguine I think Smalling has all the attributes to be a beast of a defender, it's his head needs working on. With a bit less indecision and better positioning, he'd be pushing for a starting place.

So basically the main attributes of a defender :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 12:14

Smalling and Jones have the potential to be a really good partnership, but its probably unlikely they'll get a chance to build that at United as they'll be partnered with a more established player rather than together. I've no idea how many games Jones has played centre half for United, but I'd hazard a guess that it's less than 10% of his starts.

He can't become the centre half he could be if he doesn't play there week in week out.

I'd be surprised if Cahill isn't the cornerstone of the back four for the next 2-4 years.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2014 12:25

TBM
Sanguine I think Smalling has all the attributes to be a beast of a defender, it's his head needs working on. With a bit less indecision and better positioning, he'd be pushing for a starting place.

Well I've got good positioning, but I'd be a shit central defender. Smalling is strong, quick, a good tackler and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Feb 2014 12:37

Sanguine
TBM

Well I've got good positioning, but I'd be a shit central defender. Smalling is strong, quick, a good tackler and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

So a better full back then....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 12:44

Smalling is physically a perfect centre half. I don't think he's naturally a good fit for a modern full back.

He's only 24, and he's only played 70 odd professional games, and a number of those at fullback too. He's a lot to learn about defending and centre half is probably the position with the most to be gained from real experience.

He and Jones probably took the big move too early and United arguably only had room for one of them in their squad as an up and coming centre half to slot in alongside Rio and Vidic (when fit).

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Feb 2014 12:54

From the Daily Mail

'Why doesn't anyone talk about Jack Colback for England? Is it because he's ginger? "

ENDLESS :|

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 04 Feb 2014 13:54

If I had to pick a team to go right now, I would pick:

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Cole, Baines, Walker, Clyne, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling.

Gerrard, Lampard, Barkley, Lallana, Milner, Townsend, Ox.
Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert, Defoe.

Lescott isnt playing enough to be included, Milner included for versatility. Wilshre, Barry and Carrick unlucky to miss out.
Would hope Johnson will be back fit by the big event itself, and Caroll might force his way in. If Adam Johnson keeps it up he might grab a spot, as might Rodriguez. All in my humblest of opinions.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 14:11

Not miles away from my view of the squad, but you rule out Lescott for not playing enough but include Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe and Milner (and even Lampard).

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 04 Feb 2014 14:17

Cole also falling into that catergory at the moment. He needs to play otherwise I'd have Baines as leftback and Shaw there as backup and to get him some tournament experience.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 04 Feb 2014 14:19

Hoop Blah Not miles away from my view of the squad, but you rule out Lescott for not playing enough but include Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe and Milner (and even Lampard).

Lescott: 18 games this year
Townsend: 23 games
Milner: 36 games
Lampard: 34 games
Defoe: 22 games
Oxlade-Chamberlain: 7 games

Ox is the obvious one there, having had a major injury, but I think he will play a lot, and we also dont have many other options for the wide areas. Your argument about Milner and Lampard is clearly invalid. Townsend surprises me how few games he has played, but IIRC he has had a few injuries. Defoe is the most vulnerable on the list, but he has experience.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 14:25

6ft Kerplunk Cole also falling into that catergory at the moment. He needs to play otherwise I'd have Baines as leftback and Shaw there as backup and to get him some tournament experience.

It's a real danger for Cole, but I'd still have him first choice at the moment, but only just. If he hardly plays between now and the summer though I could see that scenario happening.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 04 Feb 2014 14:27

Hoop Blah
6ft Kerplunk Cole also falling into that catergory at the moment. He needs to play otherwise I'd have Baines as leftback and Shaw there as backup and to get him some tournament experience.

It's a real danger for Cole, but I'd still have him first choice at the moment, but only just. If he hardly plays between now and the summer though I could see that scenario happening.

I think it was MOTD that highlighted why Cole isnt playing. Basically his bombing down the wing, pretty much his trademark for his whole career, is the thing that has seen him dropped. Mourinho now likes his back four to stay back within their own half as much as possible, and Azpilcueta is much better at this.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 04 Feb 2014 14:31

Can see the likes of Cole (and R Ferdinand) going off to the U.S to see out there days in the sun

398 posts