England Squad

398 posts
Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England Squad

by Royalclapper » 07 Apr 2014 13:40

Sanguine
Royalclapper Henderson isn't anything special and there'll be little difference if him or Carrick play.

Kepp telling yourself that.

Henderson set to spend a career being under-rated.

You Liverpool & Man Utd self important entitled fans make me laugh. So caught up in your own clubs worlds that following England is seen as an extension of your own childish little oneupmanship wars.

Henderson or Carrick are equally as good as each other for England IMO, sure Henderson is playing reasonably in a blossoming side but equally Carrick has spent a few years at a club winning everything. Very little between them internationally IMO and I've no problem with either playing.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Apr 2014 13:44

Royalclapper You Liverpool & Man Utd self important entitled fans make me laugh. So caught up in your own clubs worlds that following England is seen as an extension of your own childish little oneupmanship wars.

Yeah I knew that was coming. Maybe you have a big club inferiority complex?

The fact that we are talking about a future and World Cup England squad, should remind you that the England performances you talk of are all essentially in the distant past.

Henderson has been excellent (reasonable, lol) in a very good Liverpool side. Carrick has been ponderous in a poor United side. Worth considering that they aren't just part of those teams, but contributors to them.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 07 Apr 2014 14:19

Sanguine
Royalclapper You Liverpool & Man Utd self important entitled fans make me laugh. So caught up in your own clubs worlds that following England is seen as an extension of your own childish little oneupmanship wars.

Yeah I knew that was coming. Maybe you have a big club inferiority complex?

The fact that we are talking about a future and World Cup England squad, should remind you that the England performances you talk of are all essentially in the distant past.

Henderson has been excellent (reasonable, lol) in a very good Liverpool side. Carrick has been ponderous in a poor United side. Worth considering that they aren't just part of those teams, but contributors to them.

I rest my case.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Apr 2014 14:24

Terrific depth of argument. I'll take your agreement with my other points.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2014 18:37

Agree with Hoop except on Carroll. I'd take Lambert over him in a shot, but then I detest the great lump so I'm not exactly unbiased. And I'd possibly take Caulker over Lescott and Walker over Jones. Oh and I thought Wilshere was out injured again? Not sure on A Johnson.

Other than that identical. :?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Apr 2014 12:56

The Ox >> Sterling

Anybody >> Carroll

Carrick = Henderson

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Apr 2014 15:38

Sterling is certainly the form runner and looking better by the week I think.

Room for him and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the squad of course but Sterling would get the nod for an attacking role now surely?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2014 16:04

But isn't Andros Townsend the new saviour of English football - or was that Lallana

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Apr 2014 21:06

With the much maligned lack of strength at centre half, and Jagielka yet to return to the Everton side, what odds on John Stones getting a late call up to the squad?

I've not seen a lot of him but he must be doing alright during Evertons run of form.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 21 Apr 2014 12:34

Chris Smalling is a very good CB and should be in the squad (shite RB though). Carrick has been invisible at United this year, haven't seen
much of Henderson this year so can't really comment. Not sure what Henderson style of play is

A fit Carroll > Lambert (going on past performances)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Apr 2014 13:03

I expect a front four of Sturridge up top, Rooney in behind and Sterling and Lallana on the wings.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Apr 2014 14:38

genome I expect a front four of Sturridge up top, Rooney in behind and Sterling and Lallana on the wings.

This, hopefully anyway...

Wrt Hoop's point about Stones, imo he is playing as well as any English CB right now but I'd be surprised if Roy takes another inexperienced guy to Brazil.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Apr 2014 14:52

You could make a decent team heavily biased towards Merseyside and to me it doesn't seem like a horrific idea, with both sides bang in form...

----------------Sturridge---------------

Sterling--------Rooney--------Lallana

---------Gerrard----Henderson-------

Baines----Cahill----Jagielka---Johnson

-------------------Hart-------------------

Maybe even include Barry and Barkley in there?

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 21 Apr 2014 15:03

With no limitations on match fitness, injury, "retirement" etc my perfect England team would be

In the 4-3-3 with 2 CM and an AM

GK- Hart

RB- Johnson
CB- Terry
CB- Cahill
LB- Cole

CM- Gerrard
CM- Oxlade-Chamberlain

RW- Townsend/Lallana
CAM- Rooney
LW- Sterling ( on current form )

ST- Sturridge

Would take Carroll over Lambert any day.

Really don't want to see Walker playing, he is a shocking excuse of a defender also don't particularly rate Henderson, he will be good back up though.

Also don't want to see the likes of Young and Cleverly on the plane

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 22 Apr 2014 10:22

Not sure how anyone can justify playing Cole now.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2014 10:22

Yeah Baines for Cole and I wouldn't be unhappy with that team. Quite what Townsend is supposedly doing to warrant selection I don't know though.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 22 Apr 2014 10:25

Sterling and Lallana need to switch wings from Jeff's team there too.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Apr 2014 13:57

winchester_royal Wrt Hoop's point about Stones, imo he is playing as well as any English CB right now but I'd be surprised if Roy takes another inexperienced guy to Brazil.

Think I agree with that. It would be a gamble to take him but if Jagielka doesn't prove his fitness then who partners Cahill and who goes as backup?

I'd have been building towards Lescott and Cahill for Brazil myself but with Lescott not playing for City and Hodgson not including him in the last expanded squad it's got to be unlikely he'll come into the side. By my reckoning that leaves Smalling or Jones as Cahill's partner.

It's one to watch I think.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 22 Apr 2014 14:04

don't see the issue with taking inexperienced players. This world cup is dead, no one expects anything from it, and these players have to get tournament experience at some point. Why not blood Stones Flanagan, Shaw, Sterling etc with no expections on their shoulders.

I would also have thought that if Luiz gets the nod at right back tonight, instead of moving Azcpilaceuta to right back and Cole into left back it shows how far Cole has dropped down the pecking order

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 22 Apr 2014 14:33

Sanguine Yeah Baines for Cole and I wouldn't be unhappy with that team. Quite what Townsend is supposedly doing to warrant selection I don't know though.

If you're playing that style though, Ox wont offer you anything defensively. Personally i would play Barry and Gerrard in CM

gazzer, loyal royal don't see the issue with taking inexperienced players. This world cup is dead, no one expects anything from it, and these players have to get tournament experience at some point. Why not blood Stones Flanagan, Shaw, Sterling etc with no expections on their shoulders.

Problem is the media and fans will put expectation on their shoulders and then all it'll do is dent their confidence....

398 posts