Sunday League Football Clichés

No Fixed Abode

Re: Sunday League Football Clichés

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Nov 2013 11:25

Worst thing about Sunday football are the blokes who think they're local celebrities - have all the gear, play for poor standard senior division side and give it the big un.

If you were that good m8, you wouldn't be playing Sunday League football.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Nov 2013 11:28

'greed with that actually Kes, especially when you see them in Mix Bar or somewhere like that thinking they're pro ballers.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Nov 2013 11:49

No Fixed Abode Worst thing about Sunday football are the blokes who think they're local celebrities - have all the gear, play for poor standard senior division side and give it the big un.

tbf some players in the senior do play a high standard on a Saturday

Beavan used to play for Abbey
Marcus Richardson for Dee Road
Shane Small for Dee Road
Phillip John for Dee Road
Simeon Howell for Dee Road
Shaun Dyke for Dee Road/Bulmershe
Jamie Leacock for Dee Road
Raymond Spence for Whitley
Danny Seaward for Whitley
etc
etc

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Nov 2013 11:59

TBM
No Fixed Abode Worst thing about Sunday football are the blokes who think they're local celebrities - have all the gear, play for poor standard senior division side and give it the big un.

tbf some players in the senior do play a high standard on a Saturday

Beavan used to play for Abbey
Marcus Richardson for Dee Road
Shane Small for Dee Road
Phillip John for Dee Road
Simeon Howell for Dee Road
Shaun Dyke for Dee Road/Bulmershe
Jamie Leacock for Dee Road
Raymond Spence for Whitley
Danny Seaward for Whitley
etc
etc

Ya know what I mean though m8! Those listed above, not saying they're not/weren't good players, but most aren't household names are they? Having played football with both Beavon's, I can confirm neither of them were billy big bollox.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Nov 2013 12:06

Yeah i know m8 and i do agree with what you say....those players could have all made it higher (bar the couple that did make it pro) but i think their "lifestyle" hindered them

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Nov 2013 12:10

Jamie Leacock was quite unlucky though, could well have made it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Nov 2013 12:34

southbank1871 Jamie Leacock was quite unlucky though, could well have made it.

same with Seaward - who is actually an alright guy, think he had a trial at Cheltenham pre-season a couple years back

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Nov 2013 12:40

There were a couple of guys I played with for junior Sunday league teams at 16/17 - Eddie Gray and Chris Lancaster. They had both had countless trials with QPR, West Ham, Palace, but never quite made it. Anyone know if they are still playing Sunday league?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 01 Nov 2013 13:23

TBM
southbank1871 Jamie Leacock was quite unlucky though, could well have made it.

same with Seaward - who is actually an alright guy, think he had a trial at Cheltenham pre-season a couple years back

Yeah he's sound, player/manager of Richfield Rovers on a Sunday now. Going well.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Nov 2013 13:35

First ever mega 'greed with Kes here

Some are spoken of in such high regard, especially Shane Small, as you could be convinced you were about to face Ronaldo. The fact he is at a standard facing me for my pubs Sunday team and we have struggled to even scrape 11 players together suggests he is just above massively sh*t, where as we fall slightly lower.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 01 Nov 2013 13:38

soggy biscuit

First ever mega 'greed with Kes here

Some are spoken of in such high regard, especially Shane Small, as you could be convinced you were about to face Ronaldo. The fact he is at a standard facing me for my pubs Sunday team and we have struggled to even scrape 11 players together suggests he is just above massively sh*t, where as we fall slightly lower.

Hardly mate

Have you ever played against him?.......if it wasn't for his weight then he would have been a professional - it was the reason Palace let him go. Even as a big chap he can run the show without even breaking into a jog

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Nov 2013 13:49

Yes I have played against him, great for Sunday league which is jut about the lowest standard of football you can find.

Because he was good as a youngster doesn't mean he still is now when he is not looking after himself. We had a fella in our team who had made a fair few appearances in Bournemouth's first team and was released, he was still in his 20's but because he had given up caring and didn't look after himself at all. He ended up being a sub quite a lot as he couldn't manage 90 minutes anymore.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2013 13:54

Shane Small, and the current Dee Road side, are well past their best but he was a hell of a player at his best and, as TBM has said, had more than enough ability to make it as a pro if it wasn't for a bit of application and dedication.

To say he's all the gear no idea is about as wide of the mark as you can get.

I do agree with Kes that there are a lot of players who do for that bill and think it makes them the man about town though.

As for the cliches in the OP, most are there because they're the right things to do and so do get repeated endlessly, generation after generation.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 01 Nov 2013 14:10

southbank1871 'greed with that actually Kes, especially when you see them in Mix Bar or somewhere like that thinking they're pro ballers.

you can say what you like about Kes but he's self-aware that's for sure

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Nov 2013 16:53

Hoop Blah Shane Small, and the current Dee Road side, are well past their best but he was a hell of a player at his best and, as TBM has said, had more than enough ability to make it as a pro if it wasn't for a bit of application and dedication.

To say he's all the gear no idea is about as wide of the mark as you can get.

I do agree with Kes that there are a lot of players who do for that bill and think it makes them the man about town though.

As for the cliches in the OP, most are there because they're the right things to do and so do get repeated endlessly, generation after generation.

The thing is - and this includes Shane Small. You can make as many excuses as you like. The fact is, they didn't make it for one reason or another. Shane had a terrible attitude problem when he was younger and he's always been overweight. It's that extra % that determines if you are to be a pro or not. If you haven't got that extra %, then basically you're talent is wasted and they're just the same as a not quite so talented player who has more commitment and a better attitude.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2013 16:58

He's still played at a decent level and is probably the most talented player of his generation in the town.

There are reason most players don't make it, some physical, some mental, some luck, some injuries, but there are plenty of players out there who think they're the best thing since sliced bread when they're just pretty decent. At least someone like Shane, Ray Spence or Danny Seawood are good players and can back it up a bit.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Nov 2013 17:09

Hoop Blah He's still played at a decent level and is probably the most talented player of his generation in the town.

There are reason most players don't make it, some physical, some mental, some luck, some injuries, but there are plenty of players out there who think they're the best thing since sliced bread when they're just pretty decent. At least someone like Shane, Ray Spence or Danny Seawood are good players and can back it up a bit.

Many people have played at a decent level on who play on Sundays, but don't act like a kant about it.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 01 Nov 2013 17:42

I think it's the cargo cult nature of the repetition that they're getting at.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Nov 2013 19:47

It's still nil nil has to be the ultimate classic .

Agree with Parky on the "mine" shout.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 01 Nov 2013 20:20

genome Well, you would know.

Exactly.