Premier League 'B' Teams to join Pyramid?

189 posts
just some bloke

Premier League 'B' Teams to join Pyramid?

by just some bloke » 06 May 2014 12:17

A somewhat controversial proposal being meted at the FA:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27289819

It is being proposed that the teams could play in a league sandwiched between League Two and the Conference.
Another option is to merge League Two and the Conference with the B teams to form two regional leagues.
The proposals are part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission on the future of the national team.
It is understood that the Premier League and Football League clubs are broadly in favour of the B team concept, which would be predominantly made up of homegrown players, but have reservations about how it might fit into the pyramid and the knock-on effects to other leagues and competitions.

I say NO. I can see that attendances in the lower leagues being dramatically effected. How many Morecambe fans are going to show up for their game against Stoke B team?

It might work in France or Italy where the lower leagues aren't as woven into the fabric of the game as the English lower league teams are, but I can't see this being workable in England.
Last edited by just some bloke on 06 May 2014 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Premier League 'B' Teams to join Pyramid?

by Stuka » 06 May 2014 12:17

IN before the move to 'General Football' forum.

just some bloke

by just some bloke » 06 May 2014 12:18

Stuka IN before the move to 'General Football' forum.

Ah. I thought I had posted this in General Football. My mistake. Yeah move it.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 12:19

Not too sure where I stand on this particular issue.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 12:20

I mean, for too long I've felt that the reserve leagues need an overall - would be nice to see the second XI turn out occasionally - but there seems to be very few fixtures, and those that there are aren't competitive.

On the other hand, will this just lead to increasing power of the big clubs at the expense of the small ones? Noone wants that.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 06 May 2014 12:33

NO. Nonono. The lower leagues in England are a lot more respectable and supported than abroad, to the point where our sixth tier is better supported than many countries third, sometimes even second. The smaller clubs in this country deserve a level of respect and giving the big sides a shoe in on their divisions does not give them this.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 06 May 2014 12:35

Not in favour of this. I think putting in between the Conference and League 2 puts an arbritrary level on it, and who's to say the B teams won't be better than the non-league first teams anyway, so the first teams can't actually win whatever this sandwich league is called, and for that reason I'm :arrow:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 12:38

OK, I can understand the opposition to this - but if you're against it, what other options would you look at for reforming the reserves league?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 May 2014 12:42

Green OK, I can understand the opposition to this - but if you're against it, what other options would you look at for reforming the reserves league?

Use more feeder teams

So someone like Newcastle work closely with Gateshead - giving them "B" players and allowing them use of their facilities etc

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 May 2014 12:43

Green OK, I can understand the opposition to this - but if you're against it, what other options would you look at for reforming the reserves league?

I wouldn't. I'd be capping squad wages to the extent that most reserve-teamers are young, home-grown players and we don't need to find a league place for overpaid B-teamers who join massive clubs with little chance of regular football.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 May 2014 12:43

Green I mean, for too long I've felt that the reserve leagues need an overall - would be nice to see the second XI turn out occasionally - but there seems to be very few fixtures, and those that there are aren't competitive.

On the other hand, will this just lead to increasing power of the big clubs at the expense of the small ones? Noone wants that.

I thought they turned the reserve leagues into an U-21(ish) league quite recently?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 12:43

Isn't it just down to the clubs and the players to make them competitive?

Reserve team football is never going to be quite the same as first team football but when clubs only play their kids and the odd senior pro in their reserves then the games aren't going to be any more of a training encounter than they already are.

The other issue is the stockpiling of talent. That's the real reason the FA are looking at doing this, to stop the young talent wasting away in Man City and Chelsea 3rd and 4th XIs and getting them some compeitive games. Address that a bit more directly and there isn't quite the need for making Reserve football more competitive.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 May 2014 12:44

TBM

Use more feeder teams

So someone like Newcastle work closely with Gateshead - giving them "B" players and allowing them use of their facilities etc

I'd probably accept this more readily.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 06 May 2014 12:44

What happens when the B side overtakes the A side in the league pyramid?

What is the purpose? - Is it a case that these big teams have signed up all the promising youngsters but have no means to giving them games? If so, maybe the youngsters shouldn't have signed for them.... maybe there should be headcount capping to prevent this which would also benefit the lower leagues who can sign these players.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 12:44

TBM

Use more feeder teams

Interesting* idea.

I was speaking to a Charlton fan the other day, their owner owns a few teams in Italy and he felt cheated that his beloved Addicks were basically being used as such a feeder side. To me this isn't preferable to just letting the big boys field second XIs in the proper leagues.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 06 May 2014 12:44

That's not a bad idea. I think Manchester City have assimilated Hyde FC for example.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 12:45

Royal Biscuitman What happens when the B side overtakes the A side in the league pyramid?

Sack the manager, he (and invariably it is a he) seemingly doesn't have a clue.
Last edited by Green on 06 May 2014 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 12:45

TBM

Use more feeder teams

It's doing this and having good loan deals in place that will ultimately help the young players make the step up and not rot away without every really getting a chance.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 May 2014 12:47

We have the likes of Maidenhead and Basingstoke we can use to bed our younger players into first team football.....if we were allowed to send more "on loan" their, it could essentially be our B team and will also benefit the clubs receiving the players

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 May 2014 12:49

Hoop Blah Isn't it just down to the clubs and the players to make them competitive?

Reserve team football is never going to be quite the same as first team football but when clubs only play their kids and the odd senior pro in their reserves then the games aren't going to be any more of a training encounter than they already are.

The other issue is the stockpiling of talent. That's the real reason the FA are looking at doing this, to stop the young talent wasting away in Man City and Chelsea 3rd and 4th XIs and getting them some compeitive games. Address that a bit more directly and there isn't quite the need for making Reserve football more competitive.

This. Essentially what I tried to write, but wroted much better.

189 posts