Tommy Wright

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Royalcop

Tommy Wright

by Royalcop » 15 May 2014 12:41

Spent a brief time with us on loan in the mid 90's, remember him being a very good keeper for us - nice to see he's now achieved success as a manager. Add to the potential shortlist of Adkins replacements?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27415121

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Tommy Wright

by Sutekh » 15 May 2014 16:43

Think he made his debut for us at Wolves back in October 1996 (won 1-0). He was on loan from Forest at the time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 May 2014 18:52

One time manager of the much watched Limavady United

VERY MUCH IN

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 22 May 2014 08:09

Tommy Wright wont be leaving Saints for a long long time.

Think about it staying at a very well run club no debt. Where he is absolultley adored by everyone including the owner and chairman. A club that he has just guided to their first MAJOR trophy in 130 years thus meaning that they are playing European football.

He wouldnt consider moving to a club which has no idea where it is going an owner who dissapeared at the first Hurdle. :lol:

He turned down more money when Steve Lomas tried to take him to Millwall with him. Tommy will be staying put for the Long Long time.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 May 2014 08:59

Good for him. Let's look at the likes of Derek Mcinnes, Craig Levein and (minus 1 season at Burnley) Owen Coyle as recent reasons why young managers with a bit of buzz from Scotland don't work down south.

And yes, before some smart arse pipes up, we all know what Mcghee did here 20 years ago that's why I said "recent".

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2014 09:57

sandman Good for him. Let's look at the likes of Derek Mcinnes, Craig Levein and (minus 1 season at Burnley) Owen Coyle as recent reasons why young managers with a bit of buzz from Scotland don't work down south.

And yes, before some smart arse pipes up, we all know what Mcghee did here 20 years ago that's why I said "recent".

Or we could stop making such broad judgements on someone's ability for the sole reason that they have been a manager in Scotland, and judge them on their actual merits.

Fcuking tart.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 22 May 2014 10:00

I do think with a lot of managers that their success was down to random elements outside of their control. Very few of them seem to be able to replic8 it over a period of time. Ian Dowie was hyped as a good manager at one point

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 May 2014 10:04

Sanguine
sandman Good for him. Let's look at the likes of Derek Mcinnes, Craig Levein and (minus 1 season at Burnley) Owen Coyle as recent reasons why young managers with a bit of buzz from Scotland don't work down south.

Or we could stop making such broad judgements on someone's ability for the sole reason that they have been a manager in Scotland, and judge them on their actual merits.

Fcuking tart.

Piss off you precious little dickhead.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2014 10:05

Whatevs I do think with a lot of managers that their success was down to random elements outside of their control. Very few of them seem to be able to replic8 it over a period of time. Ian Dowie was hyped as a good manager at one point

He probably is. I think you've got it backwards - there are a lot of very, very good managers and coaches, who don't get the chance to prove that as a result of their club ownership, not getting a chance to mould a team, not getting funds to improve it, internal politics, or just the fact that other teams can spend more money on better players. Dowie is one of the Rodgers school.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2014 10:05

sandman
Sanguine

Fcuking tart.

lol, touch a nerve? :lol:

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 22 May 2014 10:07

He was definately the best keeper we used that season, a season where I seem to remember us using about Five.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 May 2014 10:12

sandman
Sanguine

Fcuking tart.

lol, touch a nerve? :lol:[/quote]

[quote="Sanguine"]I obviously did for you to call me a fcuking tart over a football manager.

If you're going to call me names don't see why I can't call you names back.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2014 10:15

Dear me. Do you ever post something that isn't laced with prejudice? 'Barca are cnuts, Rodgers is a cnut, managers from Scotland are shit because they are from Scotland.'

If it's precious of me to suggest you actually take the time to think about something before forming an opinion, then so be it.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 May 2014 10:31

Obviously touched a nerve.

I weighed up the last three managers who have had success north of the border but not translated it when they have come down south (McInnes also won a trophy up there this season) and suggested that certainly in recent times doing a good job up in Scotland, which Tommy Wright has done this season, doesn't always work out south of the border.

Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and think about the point, maybe come up with some recent managers from Scotland who have come down and been a success both up there and down south, rather than acting on a pre-conceived prejudice towards the poster.

True to form you've gone all precious because I gave you a bit back.

Oh and Rodgers is a c[u]nt probably why he's doing well, but still without a trophy, at Liverpool.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 May 2014 12:46

wally bassoon He was definately the best keeper we used that season, a season where I seem to remember us using about Five.

Bizarre two seasons:-

95/96 - Sheppard, Mihailov, Nixon, Sutton, Hammond, Quinn

96/97 - Mihailov, Bibbo, Bernal, Quinn, Wright, Mautone, Hammond

10 keepers over 2 seasons.

I'm convinced I've missed one somewhere...

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 25 May 2014 15:38

handbags_harris
wally bassoon He was definately the best keeper we used that season, a season where I seem to remember us using about Five.

When was Chris Woods here?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 May 2014 22:01

Ginger Ninjas
handbags_harris

When was Chris Woods here?

Told you :lol:

95/96

11 keepers over two seasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2014 01:19

Ahh the sweet memory of Jimmy Quinn in goal. Who needs a keeper on the bench!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 May 2014 18:48

Ian Royal Ahh the sweet memory of Jimmy Quinn in goal. Who needs a keeper on the bench!
Quinny in goal > than the forwards of the 2013/14 team....etc

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1