Premier League fans to protest over ticket prices

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Premier League fans to protest over ticket prices

by SPARTA » 26 Mar 2015 12:46

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32060593

Fans will protest against the price of match tickets by staging a demonstration outside a meeting of Premier League club executives.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore is to present a letter to shareholders during their scheduled summit at a central London hotel.

He will do so on behalf of the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and fan groups from all 20 top-flight clubs.

The letter renews a demand for away tickets to be capped at £20.

In addition, fans are also calling for:

- Every Premier League club to set aside £1m per season, primarily to subsidise ticket prices for their away fans
- A "structured engagement" with supporters at every club to consult on how to spend that £1m subsidy
- An end to clubs categorising games for away fans and charging different prices depending on which team is visiting
- No reduction in away ticket allocations or relocation of away fans to inferior accommodation

The protest will take place just weeks after the Premier League signed a record £5.14bn TV deal with Sky and BT Sport, which will cover three seasons from 2016-17.

A new report by Deloitte also shows top-flight clubs generated a combined pre-tax profit of £190m in 2013-14, the first in 15 years.

Given the financial success of the division, the FSF feels it is imperative for clubs to now take action on away ticket prices.

"Away fans generate much of the atmosphere, often sparking the home support into life," reads the FSF letter.

"They are among the most loyal of supporters, often travelling long distances at difficult times while generally being regular home fans and consumers of merchandise and TV packages, too.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Premier League fans to protest over ticket prices

by SPARTA » 26 Mar 2015 12:47

About time some or all of this was considered. Ticket pricing depending on who you are is long overdue being knocked on the head.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Mar 2015 13:30

If stadiums are selling out then what incentive is there for clubs to start cutting ticket prices and alloc8ing £1M a year to subside things, especially when they have made a profit in only 1 year out of the last 15?

Saying that, it would be nice for clubs to appreciate fans more and help them out with costs, transport etc. Just dont see it happening.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 26 Mar 2015 14:14

Winston Smith If stadiums are selling out then what incentive is there for clubs to start cutting ticket prices and alloc8ing £1M a year to subside things, especially when they have made a profit in only 1 year out of the last 15?

Saying that, it would be nice for clubs to appreciate fans more and help them out with costs, transport etc. Just dont see it happening.

But stadiums aren't selling out every week?

Other than that fair point.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Mar 2015 16:06

GH Royal
Winston Smith If stadiums are selling out then what incentive is there for clubs to start cutting ticket prices and alloc8ing £1M a year to subside things, especially when they have made a profit in only 1 year out of the last 15?

But stadiums aren't selling out every week?

Other than that fair point.

I was making the assumption that PL grounds sell out each week.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Mar 2015 16:12

Home ends for the big sides like manu, liverpool, arsenal etc. but the little clubs probably don't sell out unless one of the big boys are in town.

And away support generally is rarely sold out, big boys and derbies aside.

Be nice if this could be applied in all leagues - £37 quid (wasn't it?) to watch football in the craphole of an away bit that is Portman Road is just a joke.

And who wants to give money to QPR either ?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Apr 2015 18:24

If you think ticket prices are too high, don't buy a ticket.

They are living in a dream world if they think prices will drop to £20. You pay that at League Two games these days.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 05 Apr 2015 20:15

Barnet match ticket - £25
Grimsby match ticket £25.50

Grimsby also offer a season ticket for £575. :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Apr 2015 12:41

A STH at City who I know. Her ST has gone up from £850 to £1750 for the same seat. So she's having to move to the cheaper seats. Her dads OAP ticket has gone from £350 to £800.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Apr 2015 13:23

Quite simply, if its too much £ then don't go.

Why do people think that they have the right to attend a football match at a price that suits them?

I would very confidently predcit that a vast majority of those protesting, or those that have a problem with pricing, subscribe to Sky Sports / BT Sport. Or welcome with open arms the hugely wealthy benefactors that own their club. They are the causes of the high ticket prices and fans just feed the system. They need to take a look at themselves, not point the finger at those at the club trying to run the business that the fans subscribe to.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 06 Apr 2015 14:00

Tony Le Mesmer Quite simply, if its too much £ then don't go.

Why do people think that they have the right to attend a football match at a price that suits them?

I would very confidently predcit that a vast majority of those protesting, or those that have a problem with pricing, subscribe to Sky Sports / BT Sport. Or welcome with open arms the hugely wealthy benefactors that own their club. They are the causes of the high ticket prices and fans just feed the system. They need to take a look at themselves, not point the finger at those at the club trying to run the business that the fans subscribe to.

I hope you're not one to moan about public transport prices then.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 06 Apr 2015 17:52

Watched most of an U21 league game between Chelsea and Spurs on BT this afternoon. Played at Staines Town and apparently admission is £3 and concessions £1 although I wouldn't be surprised if ST holders get in free. Building up interest in that level might make it easier to keep prices high for the real thing. Prices are pretty much academic but that must undercut Staines by a factor of about three and you see players of much higher quality.

As you'd expect, a very good standard of passing although some of the finishing was a bit feeble and it finished 0-0. Players to look out for - Chelsea left winger Reece Mitchell, although he faded a bit, Spurs' right back Yedlin and midfield general Will Miller. Spurs keeper (McGee?) had little to do but one unbelievable double save right at the end.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Apr 2015 19:06

Investors are now buying football clubs to make money. There's no attachment to the supporters or the community\town.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Apr 2015 09:28

No Fixed Abode
Tony Le Mesmer Quite simply, if its too much £ then don't go.

I hope you're not one to moan about public transport prices then.

Travelling by public transport is a necessity for some.

Going to a particular football match is not.

A terrible comparison to make.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 07 Apr 2015 12:11

But you have a choice whether to use it or not.

Plenty of other alternatives.

Car, bike, walk, move closer. Public transport is a business. They have to run a service, make enough money to pay their employees whilst making a profit to provide better infrastructure for future use. So a bit hypocritical of you imo.

I refuse to use public transport, so make alternative arrangements. I drive and park out in the sticks and walk in to work, which takes me 20/30 minutes. It's still quicker than getting a bus, train and bus the other end and saves me a small fortune in the process.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1