493 posts

Can Leicester genuinely win the league?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 96
No Fixed Abode

Re: Are Leicester genuine title contenders?

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Apr 2016 12:34

Silver Fox I'd agree he manufactured the contact so probably not a penalty but I don't think it was a dive and it definitely wasn't worthy of a booking

It's not like you to stick up for a racist

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Apr 2016 12:43

:|

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Apr 2016 22:08

No matter what happens and who actually wins the title, Spurs are absolutely shit hot. That could have been six or seven.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Apr 2016 22:16

Spurs' momentum is truly phenomenal

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 18 Apr 2016 22:49

So the team with the best attack, the best defence, the best centre back, the best centre forward (and leading Prem scorer), the best midfield player & young player will maybe - maybe - end up not winning it. It has been a completely hatstand season.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 19 Apr 2016 07:34

Win the title or not, the three points Spurs took last night were another step towards the campaign's objective.... Champions League football in the season to follow. I am,of course biased to a degree,but I cannot recollect a more powerful side(emphasis on power from front to back) than this current Tottenham side. To the man in the pub nursing his beer,convinced he should be at least the England manager(we all know one,perhaps we are one), "Stoke away" normally induces the type of rictus grin that inflicts a car mechanic when you ask "how much"..that gradual exhalation,the head pivoting left to right...and to be fair,a lot of good sides have tripped up at Stoke: Spurs were a different class,and a trip,let alone a stumble was never on the cards.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 19 Apr 2016 08:18

I still just have a feeling that Spurs are going to win the league

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 19 Apr 2016 08:21

frimmers3 Win the title or not, the three points Spurs took last night were another step towards the campaign's objective.... Champions League football in the season to follow. I am,of course biased to a degree,but I cannot recollect a more powerful side(emphasis on power from front to back) than this current Tottenham side. To the man in the pub nursing his beer,convinced he should be at least the England manager(we all know one,perhaps we are one), "Stoke away" normally induces the type of rictus grin that inflicts a car mechanic when you ask "how much"..that gradual exhalation,the head pivoting left to right...and to be fair,a lot of good sides have tripped up at Stoke: Spurs were a different class,and a trip,let alone a stumble was never on the cards.

Enjoy it now Frimmers. Don't wait for next year as this is a great team, playing fantastic football, and the way they stepped up a gear in the second half yesterday and last week was breathtakingly good. Well done to Alli for following up the miss of the season with that second,

Stoke away didn't seem like Stoke away though. A few of their players had a hint of Villa or Sunderland about them. Maybe they have already got holidays on their mind but with Imbula playing like that in their midfield next year, they might struggle.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Apr 2016 10:16

Another game last night where Stoke were 10-20% off the pace as their season is over. Important win for Spurs but I wouldn't get too carried away with 'how good they are' especially when they were humiliated by Dortmund.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Apr 2016 10:24

Hoop Blah The penalty against Carroll was pretty weak but it was a bit more of a charge to bundle him off the ball than a shoulder to shoulder challenge. That's a foul but very borderline and a very big call to give it either way.

I caught the bit of Monday Night Football where Carragher was talking through this incident with Fabregas. Both said they thought it was an awful decision to start with but, when they viewed it from a longer camera angle behind the refs view, and both totally changed their mind and said it was the right call.

I'm sure someone can find the video they reviewed but from that angle you can see Carroll just run at him from 10/15 yards away and barge him over. That's not just a fair shoulder to shoulder challenge.

Fair play to the ref on that one.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Apr 2016 10:27

Spurs are indeed very good, and hopefully this will benefit England this summer. But they have had some poor results and performances too this season (losing at home to Newcastle around Xmas for example) and Leicester have taken four points off them.

Hope Leicester hold on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Apr 2016 10:29

Imagine if John Terry pops up in his last game for Chelsea with a header in the 94th minute to beat Leicester and hand Spurs the title...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Apr 2016 11:25

Might as well weigh in on this with a few observations:

- Vardy's dive was so blatant and OTT I'm amazed people are defending it. Vardy knew exactly what he was doing and proper launched himself into the dive, Superman style.

- Can't remember his first yellow but what I will say is that yellow cards have to be taken within the context of a game, you can't analyse them in slo-mo one at a time. By that I mean the ref tried to let the game flow and opted against early yellows for strong tackles but there comes a point when he has to start getting the card out.

- Morgan was stupid to pull back Reid when he'd literally just been warned about it

- Huth's probably was a penalty so this is the ref's first mistake. Whether he had a clean view of it I don't know.

- The Leicester penalty was very very soft

Summary - can't believe Leicester are up in arms about the ref when he was completely correct to dismiss Vardy and gave them a penalty (albeit for the wrong challenge). Henry Winter in The Times spent most of his match report vilifying the ref which i thought was pretty embarrassing to be honest. Guess he's just worried the fairy tale isn't going to happen.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Apr 2016 11:28

I backed spurs at 3-1 after the Leicester game (Vardy's suspension, the form of Spurs, remaining fixtures, Leicester look tired). They did look very good last night albeit against a Stoke team who were already on the beach. Would've been a much sterner test five games into the season rather than five from the end.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Apr 2016 11:45

I hope Leicester hold on and Spurs carry the momentum into next season and finish top.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Apr 2016 11:52

Forbury Lion I hope Leicester hold on and Spurs carry the momentum into next season and finish top.

I hope things next season return to normal where the big clubs, Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal are all in the top 4 again.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Apr 2016 11:54

I would be equally happy with either winning it this year - Leicester is obviously the fairy tale, but Spurs are just brilliant to watch when in full flow. I think Forbes assessment would be the ideal scenario, have Leicester win it this year and then Spurs do the same again next year but win it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Apr 2016 11:58

We're Reading fans, we need the Leicester fairy tale to come true so that there is hope of our own fairy tale one day coming true.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Apr 2016 12:01

Forbury Lion We're Reading fans, we need the Leicester fairy tale to come true so that there is hope of our own fairy tale one day coming true.

I think as fans we have slowly become used to Leicester being quite good. Losing sight a bit of how momentous an achievement this would be. This would be like Sunderland winning the league next season.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 Apr 2016 12:16

I really don't like Jamie Vardy, so for that reason alone i hope they fcuk up and Spurs win it

493 posts