26%

Total votes: 96
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Are Leicester genuine title contenders?

by TBM » 15 Dec 2015 08:08

Or is their position false?

If you look at the 10 games they've won so far I think only 1 has come against a top half side, they lost 5-2 at home to Arsenal and failed to beat Spurs & Man Utd

Personally I feel if they beat Liverpool and City (next 2 games) they are but I can soon see them dropping off, like Southampton did the other year.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Are Leicester genuine title contenders?

by Sanguine » 15 Dec 2015 08:32

Plats can possibly merge this one again.

But on your point, 'failing to beat' Spurs and United isn't a sign that Leicester aren't good enough. And they beat Palace, Watford and West Ham, who are 6th, 7th and 8th respectively. They are top by 2 points, and 9 points clear of Spurs in 5th. Sh*t got real.

Holding off City and Arsenal - it would be an achievement for the ages, pretty unprecedented, in football I can remember at least. City is the real test, but whatever their position that was a good win over Chelsea.

Title contenders? Have to say they are. They can definitely start thinking about Champions League. As I said last week, they just need to keep scoring goals. You have to go down to Bournemouth in 14th to find a team who has let in more. But it doesn't matter if you score enough - look how close Liverpool got 2 years ago, and they let in 50.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Dec 2015 09:10

Sanguine Plats can possibly merge this one again.

But on your point, 'failing to beat' Spurs and United isn't a sign that Leicester aren't good enough. And they beat Palace, Watford and West Ham, who are 6th, 7th and 8th respectively. They are top by 2 points, and 9 points clear of Spurs in 5th. Sh*t got real.

Holding off City and Arsenal - it would be an achievement for the ages, pretty unprecedented, in football I can remember at least. City is the real test, but whatever their position that was a good win over Chelsea.

Title contenders? Have to say they are. They can definitely start thinking about Champions League. As I said last week, they just need to keep scoring goals. You have to go down to Bournemouth in 14th to find a team who has let in more. But it doesn't matter if you score enough - look how close Liverpool got 2 years ago, and they let in 50.

They are 6th, 7th and 8th now but weren't at the time they played them. They lost 5-2 to Arsenal so didn't hold them off. It's nice to see but if you watched the game last night they look so vulnerable at the back so I agree with your point about having to keep scoring.

I just feel they will fade away in the new year when teams work them out

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Dec 2015 09:26

The fixtures look like they have been fairly kind to them so far, obviously that is not the reason they have done so well but it helps. In amongst the next 10 games they have Everton, Liverpool twice, Man City twice, Arsenal & Spurs.

but yeah, they are top at nearly the halfway mark so I guess you have to consider them title contenders, though I think they will more likely be a way off the top come the end of the season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2015 10:35

If they get through a tough run of fixtures in the Christmas/New Year period within touching distance, then yes.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Dec 2015 10:48

Evidence of the season so far suggests a definite yes
Historical data agrees and as per the latest figures 35 points at this stages guarantees a top 4 finish
However, there's some sort of football watching common sense that makes you think they can't do it, although I hope that's wrong

So to sum up, dunno, lol

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Dec 2015 10:56

Had a quick look and this level of shitness prior to winning a title is indeed pretty unprecedented.

Brian Clough's Forest won promotion from Division Two (finishing 3rd) in '76, and then won the First Division a year later. Ipswich Town did similar in '61 and '62.
And Manchester City finished 15th in '67 and (on the back of signing Francis Lee) won it in '68 - before finishing 13th the next season.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Dec 2015 11:13

Don't get me wrong, I love an underdog and it would be gr8 if Leicester won the league. Would certainly give the bigger clubs a kick up the backside.

However. Their spacky clapper rent-a-crowd fans were fooking awful.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 15 Dec 2015 11:43

No Fixed Abode However. Their spacky clapper rent-a-crowd fans were fooking awful.

^^ Sadly when seeing those my first thought was "Kes must be hating this"!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Dec 2015 11:59

John Madejski's Wallet
No Fixed Abode However. Their spacky clapper rent-a-crowd fans were fooking awful.

^^ Sadly when seeing those my first thought was "Kes must be hating this"!

Not helped by the fact they were copying Crystal Palace with their songs.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Dec 2015 12:02

Tbf "2-0 and you're walking home" raised a chuckle.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Dec 2015 12:15

Vision Tbf "2-0 and you're walking home" raised a chuckle.

Well, you are a Reading fan :|

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 15 Dec 2015 12:43

Silver Fox dunno, lol

perfect assessment SFers

Would like to see them take a CL spot.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 17 Dec 2015 13:42

It's not a false position because you can see why they have done well: two very quick strikers on purple patches; efficient style of play; on-form goalie; settled defence. The element of surprise is also important: did Chelsea really expect to lose to them?

I can't see them winning the Premiership however. They would need to beat teams a second time and Vardy and the other one would have to carry on scoring.

They might make the Champion's League, but I wouldn't say they are favourites.

Making the Europa League would be exciting, but it would be a distraction. (Not really relevant here, but did Southampton lose so soon on purpose this year?).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2015 13:14

Contenders yes, likely winners, probably not no, but they've put themselves in a decent position, obviously.

You'd have to think that their squad isn't going to be big enough to keep this form up but it's not like it's just a freak run of form now. We're not only 16 games into this season but if you took the last dozen games of last season as well they're not far off either (4th behind, Arsenal, Chelsea and City over the last 12 games of last season, top over the last 9!).

I can't really see them winning it but I think they can come pretty close.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Dec 2015 13:50

There or thereabouts you reckon, hoops :?:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Dec 2015 16:16

Green There or thereabouts you reckon, hoops :?:

Yeah, I reckon so Green, thanks for asking.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 19 Dec 2015 06:54

I think the only team in the top half of the table they have beaten is West Ham.
Top six at best

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Dec 2015 12:09

Royality creeps In I think the only team in the top half of the table they have beaten is West Ham.
Top six at best

Watford and Palace are 6 and 7, but I see your point.
But by the same token, the only top 12 team to have beaten them is Arsenal (albeit comprehensively).

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Dec 2015 17:08

Still out scoring their opponents at Christmas

493 posts