Football League Restructure

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Football League Restructure

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 May 2016 14:31

stealthpapes
MoorgateRoyal
6ft Kerplunk Yeah, can't help but be a bit cynical about it. Just worry that it could be linked to the European league stuff that there's been rumours about. Is that about to happen and the Premier League becoming a closed shop...

A European league won't happen because the clubs who are always successful in their domestic leagues won't want to be finishing mid-table or lower in a new league, and the Champions League will cease to exist.

I also don't think the Premier League will become a closed shop. The money they make is based on the excitement and if there's no relegation, the bottom clubs will get even worse while the bigger clubs will also suffer from a total lack of competition outside the top four or five. The product on offer will completely stop being exciting and worth the money, and the whole thing will go to shit. It'll also ruin the Football League as they would lose funding as there would be no excitement at the top.

If this proposal is with the idea of making more teams professional, why don't the put some money into the National League and get all of the teams in that to turn pro? A good number already are and that would benefit the game at that level. Perhaps they could add a relegation place from League Two as well to make it a little more exciting.

It's hard to tell if there is going to be a re-structuring but the one proposed won't get the required votes.

Actually, as overseas TV becomes more and more valuable, it is increasingly not.

I still think that they would need to offer an exciting, competitive 'product' to justify the overseas sales. Having a non-competitive exhibition-style league will knacker it because one of the big draws of the Prem is the end-to-end excitement you get with the games, and the feeling that anyone can beat anyone.

If you reduce it to the big four/five smashing people every week with almost no competitive element, and the rest of the games playing out like end of season matches because there's no threat of relegation, the audience will quickly look elsewhere.

It's certainly not perfect as it is, and it would be in the best interests of the game in this country as a whole for the Premier League to let more of the money trickle down (I know this won't happen), but it's definitely better with relegation and promotion in place. I think the Premier League know this and it's one of the things that make the game here more entertaining.

Without promotion and relegation, there would be no Leicester fairytale, no 'big' clubs like Newcastle and Villa falling from grace, and no little teams like Bournemouth going up and holding their own.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Football League Structure

by maffff » 20 May 2016 15:00

At first I thought they were professionalising the Conference National, which I'm not sure necessarily serves that well. Some clubs are attractive as a part time club and have players that have turned down pro deals in league 1 to play for them due to life or have those that can't legally play pro after insurance payouts. Given it would stay the same tier in the pyramid I couldn't see that much more money at the bottom of the game and quite a few that have to go pro to enter the league really struggle to make ends meet.

However, this is a rebalancing, meaning that only a very small number of clubs would head up into the FL, so it just adds a tier at the bottom of the game - also not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I like my midweek games. If it's not broke...

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 May 2016 15:35

Overseas TV markets seemingly do not give a shit about that. It's all about seeing the best players.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 May 2016 15:35

When I say Overseas, I mean far eastern, really.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 May 2016 15:51

Good point, but I think the best players are likely to go elsewhere if the football itself becomes secondary to all the other stuff.

They would want to play competitive games so they can be at the top of their game when internationals come around.

Also, if it becomes so easy they won't need to get out of first gear, no one would see them at their best because they will just be going through the motions.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 May 2016 17:48

... but if they're getting the money and still playing in Europe and the money is coming in because its the best players and they're getting the money ...

FWIW, I actually think most players don't even care about the internationals any more. It's all about the Champions League or GTFO.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 May 2016 18:14

stealthpapes Overseas TV markets seemingly do not give a shit about that. It's all about seeing the best players.

I've seen the early rounds of the FA Cup broadcast in the far east. Sutton United v Notts County live was even being covered with commentary.

Nameless There is absolutely no merit in letting outside teams into the league. Any marginal benefits in slight crowd increases would be more tha n offset by the huge extra policing costs inside and outside grounds and the extra travel costs for fans

I'm not in favour of them joining, but I can't see any realistic reason why crowd increases would be more than offset by extra policing costs.

Would 3000 Rangers fans really need more policing than 3000 fans from any other club?

I also don't see any realistic way that this could be because of a possible European League or a closed shop premier league. If either of those things came in, this wouldn't make on iota of difference

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Football League Structure

by West Stand Man » 20 May 2016 18:51

John Smith Bizarre, strange and unnecessary in my opinion. This is the worst part for me:

Currently, the bottom two teams in League Two are relegated from the Football League to the National League.

They would not go down at the end of the 2018-19 season, said Harvey.

What sort of competition does that make League 2 during 2018/19 then?!

It still adds a lot into League 2 that season. The battle will be to stay in that league (ie the new League 2 ) rather than be in the new League 3 along with the promotees from the Conference.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Too many games, reprise

by tmesis » 20 May 2016 20:58

Nameless Stand up to to companies and tell them their rule that no domestic games can be played if a European game is on TV is unreasonable.

There's no such rule.

The rule only applies to such games being televised live.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 May 2016 21:07

Well if there was such a rule I would be against it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2016 00:43

We don't play any more games than we ever have. Cut some of the International bollocks and excessive European games.

There's no reason to cut the number FL games.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 May 2016 00:45

Yep, it has been suggested

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 May 2016 11:52

One mass knockout European competition would be good instead of two with one called the Champions League where most of the clubs in it aren't Champions of anything.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 21 May 2016 14:14

Scrap the league cup, make 5th tier professional but with a north south divide to help them lower costs and encourage more away travel, have one European competition for top division team, bring in a weekly panel to dish out retrospective punishments for diving, bring in 2nd tier euro competition between select countries (aim slightly higher than the Anglo Italian cup)

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 May 2016 17:16

tmesis
stealthpapes Overseas TV markets seemingly do not give a shit about that. It's all about seeing the best players.

I've seen the early rounds of the FA Cup broadcast in the far east. Sutton United v Notts County live was even being covered with commentary.

OK, but I will repeat it,

Overseas TV markets seemingly do not give a shit about that. It's all about seeing the best players.

This will drive how the league 'develops' in the near future

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 May 2016 11:53

stealthpapes
tmesis

OK, but I will repeat it,

This will drive how the league 'develops' in the near future

It's true that overseas markets don't care about relegation (beyond the "keep it real" type fans who like to think of themselves of proper fans not gloryhunters) but that doesn't mean they want to end relegation either.

I'd actually go as far as to say that a more equal league, with salary caps, no promotions or relegation etc like US leagues, would be detrimental to overseas tv rights. Overseas rights are about the "brand" clubs, and they need those clubs to be more or less up there every year, or they risk overseas fans getting bored and switching to Barcelona or Juventus etc instead.

The rumours of the premier league wanting a closed shop are just groundless speculation, based on the assumption that American owners would want it, even though it would actually weaken the position of the biggest clubs.

The european super league has always been something of a bargaining chip to threaten UEFA when the boys want another advantage over the other clubs, but if there was a strong will, it would have happened years ago.

The huge sticking point is that the top sides have too much to lose in prestige, going from being giants in their domestic game to being average in a super league. All things being equal, the sense of entitlement those clubs have would make it hard for them to accept they'd be more likely to finish in the bottom half than be title challengers.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 May 2016 23:34

Winston Smith Scrap the league cup, make 5th tier professional but with a north south divide to help them lower costs and encourage more away travel, have one European competition for top division team, bring in a weekly panel to dish out retrospective punishments for diving, bring in 2nd tier euro competition between select countries (aim slightly higher than the Anglo Italian cup)

Love it. Great idea

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 May 2016 08:42

John Smith
Winston Smith Scrap the league cup, make 5th tier professional but with a north south divide to help them lower costs and encourage more away travel, have one European competition for top division team, bring in a weekly panel to dish out retrospective punishments for diving, bring in 2nd tier euro competition between select countries (aim slightly higher than the Anglo Italian cup)

Love it. Great idea

3 losing play off teams from the Champ plus 3 selected teams from Spain, France, Germany & Italy (numbers don't add up I know, but you get my point)

Done based on this season and you could potentially have Real Zaragoza, Bari, Lens, Osasuna, Nurnberg & St Pauli in there with the English teams.

^cracking little competition right there