Another finals another load of idiots

217 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Another finals another load of idiots

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2016 19:31

Heavy handed policing and Russian thugs by the sound of things today although our good little souls have hardly been anything other than a complete embarrassment over the previous 24 hours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36506917

Just what is it with young Englishmen and drink....?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Another finals another load of idiots

by P!ssed Off » 12 Jun 2016 00:19

Sutekh Heavy handed policing and Russian thugs by the sound of things today although our good little souls have hardly been anything other than a complete embarrassment over the previous 24 hours

I think the biggest embarrassment has been that whilst English citizens are being attacked by police/various groups of hooligans, the press and politicians have been slagging them off and calling them scum.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Jun 2016 01:07

Russian stuff looks highly organised to me

Whole thing is sickening whatever the cause

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Jun 2016 11:47

P!ssed Off
Sutekh Heavy handed policing and Russian thugs by the sound of things today although our good little souls have hardly been anything other than a complete embarrassment over the previous 24 hours

I think the biggest embarrassment has been that whilst English citizens are being attacked by police/various groups of hooligans, the press and politicians have been slagging them off and calling them scum.

Shit yeah, who'd have thought gathering in huge groups, getting smashed, covering pubs with your flags, singing oxf*rd off Europe and no surrender, and throwing bottles at police 2 nights running might invite attacks from local and rival firms?

No one should be put in a coma or kicked on the floor. But this whole 'we weren't violent just boisterous so we're innocent' line is bollocks. Anyone who's followed England away or just been on Friar Street at closing time knows that there's a very fine line between the two, which some always cross, and the subtlety between 'banter' and mass drunken goading and provocation is not something locals and police should be expected to understand and accept.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Jun 2016 11:56

St Pauli
P!ssed Off

Shit yeah, who'd have thought gathering in huge groups, getting smashed, covering pubs with your flags, singing oxf*rd off Europe and no surrender, and throwing bottles at police 2 nights running might invite attacks from local and rival firms?

No one should be put in a coma or kicked on the floor. But this whole 'we weren't violent just boisterous so we're innocent' line is bollocks. Anyone who's followed England away or just been on Friar Street at closing time knows that there's a very fine line between the two, which some always cross, and the subtlety between 'banter' and mass drunken goading and provocation is not something locals and police should be expected to understand and accept.

So why were Polish and Northern Irish fans attacked in Nice by French ultras last night?
Was that their fault as well?
Police used the same aggressive tactics there as well.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Jun 2016 12:13

If u get pelted with bottles and tear gas and batteref as u try to get away. Angry you will be.singing and drinking is not a crime.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Jun 2016 13:00

Good to see a whole stand of England fans bottling it and running away from a few Russians.

England away fans generally behaving like the moronic bores that we know and love.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Jun 2016 13:23

P!ssed Off So why were Polish and Northern Irish fans attacked in Nice by French ultras last night?
Was that their fault as well?
Police used the same aggressive tactics there as well.

I don't know. I wasn't in Nice. And I don't know what the travelling support of Northern Ireland and Poland look like. Or what their respective drinking cultures are like.

I've seen England away in Germany in 2006.

If you don't want to get attacked by local firms, don't drink for 12 hours solid, in massive groups, getting off your face, intentionally blocking roads, singing 'twelve German bombers', 'two world wars and one world cup' over and over. If you want to do that, do that. But don't play the victim when you get a smack and then get beaten up because you're all mouth.

The only reason there wasn't more violence at Germany 2006 was everything was done from an organisational, policing, media reporting* and pyschological perspective to prevent it. The French organisation doesn't seem to have been great, but that doesn't change England fans part responsibility for this. England fans behaved terribly at points in Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhU0PXD7KI

*I was surprised by the widespread reporting of the incidents Thursday- that was a mistake, which probably exacerbated things Friday and Saturday.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Jun 2016 13:40

Most clips I have seen on the news and web have been large groups of England fans not handling their drink very well, chanting some moronic song before a small group of Russian / French go for them and the England fans run the other way.

We are certainly in line for the running away as fast as possible award 2016.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 12 Jun 2016 13:43

Maneki Neko Russian stuff looks highly organised to me

probs orchestr8d in the Kremlin

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 12 Jun 2016 13:46

leon Good to see a whole stand of England fans bottling it and running away from a few Russians.

soft, innit. Should do away with banning orders and send our top hoodlums over to France to stick it up 'em

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jun 2016 14:15

They should just put a rule in place that the national associations are responsible for the fans supporting their teams and any violence, in official areas - stadiums and fan zones - will not be tolerated in any form and will lead to the automatic exclusion of the team from the tournament and the next qualifying campaign.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Jun 2016 14:22

My initial reaction was "I see the English supporters are living up to their reputation". But upon further review, while the English weren't blameless in all of this, the main culprits were the local ultras and Russian supporters...combined with some heavy handed policing.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Jun 2016 14:32

It's carbon copy of Everton's trip to Lille in 2014.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... le-4492459

'English hooliganism' is an easy target for the press, but they ought to be reporting the actual facts.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Jun 2016 15:11

sputnik
leon Good to see a whole stand of England fans bottling it and running away from a few Russians.

soft, innit. Should do away with banning orders and send our top hoodlums over to France to stick it up 'em

Don't think that would help the English fans stand their ground much. With the exception of a tiny, tiny minority, English hooligans have been removed from the English game through the game's general gentrification. Sure you get the occasional derby where some drunken lads have ago but it quickly gets dispersed by police and stewards. In any case most hooligans and fans from a working class background more generally are usually 35+. I'd be surprised if there's any English hooligans left in 15 years.

Russia, France, Germany don't have the same issue with younger fans being priced out of football and the loss of terrace culture, which on the other hand means they have a greater problem with hooliganism.

Most of the travelling English fans don't seem to have much experience of actual hooliganism or fighting. They're just drunk lads who have watched a few too many hooligan films and like the culture/image but not the actual fighting. The French and Russians probably either think the reputation and front the English have means they're up for it, or know they're not and want to expose the front/reputation.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Jun 2016 15:20

Libertine My initial reaction was "I see the English supporters are living up to their reputation". But upon further review, while the English weren't blameless in all of this, the main culprits were the local ultras and Russian supporters...combined with some heavy handed policing.

I'd say that's a fair summary.

It's also a bit of a culture clash as well. In the UK it's seen as acceptable to get really drunk and behave like a bit of a dick as a result, it's certainly tolerated a lot more. The English sense of humour also sees it as acceptable to take the piss out of other people for virtually any reason. Racism is the only really taboo when it comes to English humour. When this attitude moves to the continent, it doesn't really work.

English fan: 'OK, we were being massive dicks, but that's because we were on holiday and really drunk, this is acceptable in England, and we weren't being violent, so we're the victims here.'
Turkish fan: 'You got really drunk and called my mum a whore. In my city, Istanbul, where you currently are, it's socially acceptable for me to kick the shit out of you for that.'

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jun 2016 16:02

Stranded They should just put a rule in place that the national associations are responsible for the fans supporting their teams and any violence, in official areas - stadiums and fan zones - will not be tolerated in any form and will lead to the automatic exclusion of the team from the tournament and the next qualifying campaign.

Looks like UEFA ard now threatening this if there is any further violence.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jun 2016 16:11

P!ssed Off It's carbon copy of Everton's trip to Lille in 2014.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... le-4492459

'English hooliganism' is an easy target for the press, but they ought to be reporting the actual facts.

When have the press ever let facts get in the way of an easy narrative?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Jun 2016 17:18

Can't blame them for pointing the finger at English hooligans after the behavior of the preceeding 48 hours in Marseille.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Jun 2016 17:53

Germany & Ukraine fans now going at each other

217 posts