The Football Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

141 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The England Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

by Sanguine » 28 Sep 2016 09:49

Royal Rother ...at least Howe is young so the chances of him having been corrupted are lower than all the other candidates!

True, I can't see it.

I do hope that Steve Bruce isn't involved in these allegations. He's always seemed a thoroughly decent bloke.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The England Manager Disaster Thread sponsored by Big Fat Sam's pint of wine.

by stealthpapes » 28 Sep 2016 09:56

Sanguine
Royal Rother ...at least Howe is young so the chances of him having been corrupted are lower than all the other candidates!

True, I can't see it.

I do hope that Steve Bruce isn't involved in these allegations. He's always seemed a thoroughly decent bloke.

You see, I think he's one of the ones most likely to be nailed on this - part of the old school, often moving jobs (other than the spell at Birmingham City).

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 28 Sep 2016 11:05

The DM also claiming that Allardyce is in business partnership with Joe Hart & Wayne Rooney. something to do with Proctor House Newcastle.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Sep 2016 13:08

"Entrapment has won," says Allardyce.

No, justice has won because you got caught advising people how to financially benefit from circumventing your employers rules m8 :| . Bang to rights. And this is part of football’s huge, huge problem to be honest……people thinking that making a quick, illegal buck is fair game. The Sky pundits were unbelievably crass last night, stating in front of camera that Allardyce’s agent/advisor was to blame for setting up this meeting. So people with genuine links into the game think that getting caught is the only crime here :|

Football fans - and I have seen a few defending Allardyce and bemoaning the media for undermining the harmony of our ever underwhelming national team :| - would do well to remember that every dodgy dealing drives up wages, transfer valuations and therefore your ticket prices.

The professional game is Rotten. To. The. Core.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2016 13:17

Totally agreed Floyd. Special menton also to Brendon Rodgers for his utter bemusement at the journalist's tactics (the punchline writes itself)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Sep 2016 13:20

Silver Fox Special menton also to Brendon Rodgers for his utter bemusement at the journalist's tactics

Old boys network, innit. Can't be seen to be criticising one of their bretheren :!:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 28 Sep 2016 13:28

stealthpapes Shuffling the deckchairs. Won't matter one jot without looking at the players five to ten years away from being pros.

Wenger would do that though. He could take control of all England Men's football, from schoolboys up, getting them playing the right way, and not losing talented Arsenal strikers to Nigeria.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Sep 2016 13:47

Handsome Man
stealthpapes Shuffling the deckchairs. Won't matter one jot without looking at the players five to ten years away from being pros.

Wenger would do that though. He could take control of all England Men's football, from schoolboys up, getting them playing the right way, and not losing talented Arsenal strikers to Nigeria.

IMO, Wenger has a pretty poor record of turning talent into consistent performers, especially over the last 10 years, and he's managed some of England's brightest talents not to really fulfill their potential under him over that time (Wilshire, Walcot, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chambers (early days), Gibbs, Jenkinson). I don't think it's just English youngsters who fail to thrive under Wenger recently either. How many young players have really kicked on to another level at Arsenal over that time?

I'd argue that he's just as reliant on buying established players as any other manager, he's just living off the reputation built on the likes of Henry, Veira, Toure and Cole.

Is that really the track record of a manager who can really help turn talented kids into top international players?

I wouldn't say no to him taking on the England job though, I think it would be a very interesting choice.

I do disagree with the notion that we don't have talented players already though. I don't think it's technique or talent that's missing, more the environment that would allow them to flourish.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Sep 2016 13:54

floyd__streete "Entrapment has won," says Allardyce.

No, justice has won because you got caught advising people how to financially benefit from circumventing your employers rules m8 :| . Bang to rights. And this is part of football’s huge, huge problem to be honest……people thinking that making a quick, illegal buck is fair game. The Sky pundits were unbelievably crass last night, stating in front of camera that Allardyce’s agent/advisor was to blame for setting up this meeting. So people with genuine links into the game think that getting caught is the only crime here :|

Football fans - and I have seen a few defending Allardyce and bemoaning the media for undermining the harmony of our ever underwhelming national team :| - would do well to remember that every dodgy dealing drives up wages, transfer valuations and therefore your ticket prices.

I do agree with the sentiment, football is rotten to the core but is just a reflection of the society in which it is thriving and it's inevitable that dodgy dealings will go on with the amount of money floating around within it.

I'm still not convinced Allardyce did too much wrong though, but I can see that the advice about third party ownership probably overstepped the mark, but it's just a bit sensationalist to build up such a case of wrong doing based on some loose lips and, from what we've seen so far, any lack of real evidence that he did anything underhand (yet!).

Same goes for the other managers that aren't yet named. If they thought they had anything that would stick wouldn't they have gone public with the names? Isn't it just the case of some greedy agents looking to big up the potential of the money they can make someone?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Sep 2016 13:54

I do disagree with the notion that we don't have talented players already though. I don't think it's technique or talent that's missing, more the environment that would allow them to flourish.

They're not good enough. I mean, they're not rubbish, but every two years, unless something drastically changes, they will come up short against the better teams in the world.

I'll see you in 2018 and we can have this conversation again.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Sep 2016 13:57

Hoop Blah
floyd__streete "Entrapment has won," says Allardyce.

I do agree with the sentiment, football is rotten to the core but is just a reflection of the society in which it is thriving and it's inevitable that dodgy dealings will go on with the amount of money floating around within it.

I'm still not convinced Allardyce did too much wrong though, but I can see that the advice about third party ownership probably overstepped the mark, but it's just a bit sensationalist to build up such a case of wrong doing based on some loose lips and, from what we've seen so far, any lack of real evidence that he did anything underhand (yet!).

Same goes for the other managers that aren't yet named. If they thought they had anything that would stick wouldn't they have gone public with the names? Isn't it just the case of some greedy agents looking to big up the potential of the money they can make someone?

He walked as much as he was pushed - suggests that there was what he said contravened something specific within his contract, he was clearly in the wrong (and has been reported as admitting as much) and it wasn't worth arguing about it. He gets a lump sum, but much reduced from what he could have got.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 28 Sep 2016 15:53

Did the papers never try any sort of sting with Woy?

I suspect they did, but got nowhere. You don't tend to with honest people.

I totally agreed with FS, football, indeed all sport is corrupt. Sports fans are being fleeced. Similarly gaming/betting.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 28 Sep 2016 16:23

exileinleeds Did the papers never try any sort of sting with Woy?

I suspect they did, but got nowhere. You don't tend to with honest people.

I totally agreed with FS, football, indeed all sport is corrupt. Sports fans are being fleeced. Similarly gaming/betting.

care to elaborate???

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 28 Sep 2016 16:35

Details are sketchy but you know all the games the different companies have on their sites- they are all written by the one company....who is buying just about the biggest bookies....but it is ok, your data is utterly safe, the miners don't know much about you.

There are absolutely definitely no senior management on garden leave from companies working for other rival/competitor companies....definitely no sharing of data/information....

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 28 Sep 2016 16:37

Hang on... are you trying to say that the bookies might be a bunch of crooks.. Well I never

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 28 Sep 2016 16:56

exileinleeds Details are sketchy but you know all the games the different companies have on their sites- they are all written by the one company....who is buying just about the biggest bookies....but it is ok, your data is utterly safe, the miners don't know much about you.

There are absolutely definitely no senior management on garden leave from companies working for other rival/competitor companies....definitely no sharing of data/information....

I'm not really seeing what the major problem is here

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 28 Sep 2016 17:34

Brosef Stalin
exileinleeds Details are sketchy but you know all the games the different companies have on their sites- they are all written by the one company....who is buying just about the biggest bookies....but it is ok, your data is utterly safe, the miners don't know much about you.

I'm not really seeing what the major problem is here

You know the games- 10p a spin or whatever? You know they are fixed so they only pay out maybe 5% of the time?....Imagine if they were 'adjusted' to suit individual players- you walk away when you have spent your £- but TF will feed it £1.50....

Ever wondered why you get a bonus around pay day?

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 28 Sep 2016 18:15

floyd__streete
Silver Fox Special menton also to Brendon Rodgers for his utter bemusement at the journalist's tactics

Old boys network, innit. Can't be seen to be criticising one of their bretheren :!:

Wasn't that exactly part of Sam's problem, mocking and criticising the previous management?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Sep 2016 18:21

If I was advising third parties how to circumvent my employer's regulations, I'd expect the sack even if I wasn't gaining personally from providing this information.

It's a huge conflict of interest and absolutely the sort of behaviour I'd expect from an arrogant prick like Allardyce. "Entrapment has won" my arse, they wouldn't try to trap you if you weren't up for it.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 28 Sep 2016 18:28

The bloke's a oxf*rd idiot tbh

141 posts