562 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Mar 2019 11:03

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Sanguine
For netball, I don't think so, but then let's not be silly enough to suggest equivalence between women's football and men's netball.

On women's cricket - yes. Certainly Sky's coverage of the women's game generally uses the exact same commentary and pundit-ing team. Nick Knight and Rob Key normally front the coverage, and indeed it's Key who hosted the recent 'masterclass' on Sky Sports Cricket with Tammy Beaumont and Anya Shrubsole.

So for cricket it is the reserve team rather than the first team of Nasser, Gower, Athers and Botham but for Premier League football Alex is alongside top ex-managers and players.

It takes a bit of getting used to and I have no objection in principle and Alex is as good as or better than some of the old inarticulate pros who may have played at the top level but don't really understand the game.

Yet you seem to object, by highlighting that supposed 'level' of the pundits provided to women's cricket vs. Scott's appearance at the World Cup or on Premier League coverage. For what it's worth, both Hussian and Athers have covered women's cricket on Sky too. Gower and Botham only generally appear for home Test series.

Wrong assumption.
I made the differential because in the main women's highest level cricket is generally covered by Sky's second team whereas Scott has been thrown in with football's A team and has IMHO done well.

As for Rosenior, mentioned by an earlier poster, I think he has done really well, is an articulate young man and knows his way around the Championship and the lower leagues.
His dad was quite good as well.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Mar 2019 11:05

Victor Meldrew
Sanguine
Victor Meldrew

So for cricket it is the reserve team rather than the first team of Nasser, Gower, Athers and Botham but for Premier League football Alex is alongside top ex-managers and players.

It takes a bit of getting used to and I have no objection in principle and Alex is as good as or better than some of the old inarticulate pros who may have played at the top level but don't really understand the game.

Yet you seem to object, by highlighting that supposed 'level' of the pundits provided to women's cricket vs. Scott's appearance at the World Cup or on Premier League coverage. For what it's worth, both Hussian and Athers have covered women's cricket on Sky too. Gower and Botham only generally appear for home Test series.

Wrong assumption.
I made the differential because in the main women's highest level cricket is generally covered by Sky's second team whereas Scott has been thrown in with football's A team and has IMHO done well.

As for Rosenior, mentioned by an earlier poster, I think he has done really well, is an articulate young man and knows his way around the Championship and the lower leagues.

Agreed on Rosenior, always insightful as a pundit and writes interesting articles for the Guardian - not sure what sandman's issue is, but then I rarely am!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Mar 2019 11:08

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Sanguine

Wrong assumption.

Agreed on Rosenior, always insightful as a pundit and writes interesting articles for the Guardian - not sure what sandman's issue is, but then I rarely am!

Sandy seems to have it in for everybody and everything.
I didn't rate Liam that highly as a right-back but then , regular posters will know, I don't rate many right-backs highly. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2019 07:28

Liam Rosenior was shit and a prick.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Mar 2019 07:59

Cummings > Rosenior

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Mar 2019 09:22

Victor Meldrew
Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Wrong assumption.

Sandy seems to have it in for everybody and everything.
I didn't rate Liam that highly as a right-back but then , regular posters will know, I don't rate many right-backs highly. :wink:

I don't "have it in" for anyone. Everyone is redeemable, even you and Sanguine.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Mar 2019 09:28

I will say that Rosenior comes across as intelligent as well as smug.

Hopefully that means he's learned from his anti Reading comments after he left.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Dec 2019 12:26

I'm bored of ill-educated ex-footballers or opinionated journalists talking about football

currently listening to gLOLen hoddLOLe

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2019 09:33

Paul Merson praised the work of "Jack Wilshere" for Aston Villa yesterday.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2019 12:37

sandman Paul Merson praised the work of "Jack Wilshere" for Aston Villa yesterday.

Classic Merson but he is one of the boys so whatever he says is irrelevant. :roll:

Watched all the Amazon Prime games and because they were covering so many games loads of old lags were brought out, often with no connection to the teams involved.
Paul Clement even made an appearance and dear old Jim Rosenthal was in the studio, where has he been.
show of
Every game had a female as part of the set-up-gratuitous appointments it seemed as the games were all played by men and IIRC so few men featured in the TV coverage of the women's world cup.

I don't really want to hear Eni Aluko's views on a Chelsea game- I have only just got used to it that her dreadful brother no longer strolls around on our pitch on a Saturday afternoon being paid a fortune for doing f*** all.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2019 16:28

Victor Meldrew
sandman Paul Merson praised the work of "Jack Wilshere" for Aston Villa yesterday.

Classic Merson but he is one of the boys so whatever he says is irrelevant. :roll:

Watched all the Amazon Prime games and because they were covering so many games loads of old lags were brought out, often with no connection to the teams involved.
Paul Clement even made an appearance and dear old Jim Rosenthal was in the studio, where has he been.
show of
Every game had a female as part of the set-up-gratuitous appointments it seemed as the games were all played by men and IIRC so few men featured in the TV coverage of the women's world cup.

I don't really want to hear Eni Aluko's views on a Chelsea game- I have only just got used to it that her dreadful brother no longer strolls around on our pitch on a Saturday afternoon being paid a fortune for doing f*** all.

Why not?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Dec 2019 16:33

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

show of

Why not?

I would presume because the caller thinks she’s pretty awful as a pundit?

At the end of the day pundits should get the gig because they are insightful and have a bit of personality. What age, colour, sex, background etc. they are is utterly irrelevant.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2019 17:05

Sutekh
Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

show of

Why not?

At the end of the day pundits should get the gig because they are insightful and have a bit of personality. What age, colour, sex, background etc. they are is utterly irrelevant.

Spot on and of course she reminds me of that waste of space brother that the club spawned those millions on.
In her case I think she spent last season in Italy (?) so I don't see her as an expert on either Chelsea or Southampton, the two teams involved in yesterday's fixture.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Dec 2019 18:25

Victor Meldrew
Sutekh
Royal Rother
Why not?

Spot on and of course she reminds me of that waste of space brother that the club spawned those million s on.
In her case I think she spent last season in Italy (?) so I don't see her as an expert on either Chelsea or Southampton, the two teams involved in yesterday's fixture.

I'm not sure what insight an ex-pro can really offer...to succeed they had to forgo education, not saying they aren't intelligent but they are uneduc8d in analysis, rational thinking etc.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2019 18:38

Agreed.

I'm sure Eni Aluko with her first class law degree would agree as well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2019 20:42

Boom!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Dec 2019 21:04

sandman Agreed.

:) I wasn't actually referring to her and tbf she just says exactly the same shit as the blokes

It's unlikely you'd make it to the top of the professional male game whilst obtaining a first-class degree

I enjoy the stories they tell that add colour/entertainment but what actual insight do they provide?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Dec 2019 21:45

BR0B0T
sandman Agreed.

:) I wasn't actually referring to her and tbf she just says exactly the same shit as the blokes

It's unlikely you'd make it to the top of the professional male game whilst obtaining a first-class degree

I enjoy the stories they tell that add colour/entertainment but what actual insight do they provide?

Steve Coppell managed to. Used to study on the United team bus on the way back from games whilst his team mates were getting pissed and playing cards.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Dec 2019 21:52

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T
sandman Agreed.

Steve Coppell managed to. Used to study on the United team bus on the way back from games whilst his team mates were getting pissed and playing cards.

anyone from this century? :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2019 21:53

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T
sandman Agreed.

Safe to say Steve's era was somewhat different and a wee while ago.

Can't see Jack Grealish doing a degree in his spare time.

562 posts