1 step backwards, 2 steps forward?

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

1 step backwards, 2 steps forward?

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jan 2017 17:41

A little late but the thought has been fluttering back and forth in my mind. Arsene Wenger said in an interview after signing Cohen Brammell

“More and more,” he said. “You need to scout in the lower divisions because many of them [players] have to go down before they go up.

This got me thinking, given the money and expectation in the premier league and even to some degree the championship, he might be right.
There are quite a few examples of players moving down from premier league academies (due to a lack of action) only to move back up after a few seasons in the lower leagues.

Antonio arguably moved down and now is phenominal in a struggling West Ham
Trippier left Man City for Burnley before being bought by Tottenham
I'm sure there is loads of examples but off the top of my head these two sprung to mind.

Also theres been a massive amount of signings coming from down the leagues (The Vardy Effect?)
Holding, Brammell, Alli, Lookman, Holgate, Galloway, Calvert-Lewin, Gomez to name a few recent ones

So my question is are we going to see an increase in quality down the leagues or are we in a freak bubble where there happens to be an abundance of talent?
Are more players going to leave top clubs in search of first team action following the trend in scouting the lower leagues?

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1