VAR

1728 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: VAR

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2019 13:10

John Madejski's Wallet I still don't see why you can't go with the lino's decision unless it is a "clear and obvious" howler.

Drawing random lines on a screen in a fukking joke

Seriously, this and the handball incidents (plus the pundits responses) have already turned me off top flight football for the season. Talk about sucking the joy out of everything

Clear as day that no-one who hates it is for turning on VAR, even after a pretty successful opening weekend.

I'd agree with paps that offside needs refinement for those marginal calls, in the same way as cricket authorities accept that there is a margin for error in TV imagery (frame-rates impact on their ability to decipher catches caught close to the ground, for example).

But the way that the Premier League is using it - I don't think I saw a referee visit a pitch-side screen at all - is clear and for the most part pretty rapid.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Aug 2019 13:41

How do they tell the crowd what's going on at Anfield and Old Trafford (assuming there's not a screen there either still)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2019 14:03

Silver Fox How do they tell the crowd what's going on at Anfield and Old Trafford (assuming there's not a screen there either still)

Mics obviously didn't pick it up, but the two clubs agreed that VAR decisions would be announced on the PA system. Liverpool were also putting simple info up on their scoreboard.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2019 14:33

Martin Samuel was on Sunday Supplement yesterday and moaning that nobody in the Directors box, and so presumably the rest of the ground, knew why the City penalty had been retaken (it was for encroachment), so it sounds like the communication is still a little flawed.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2019 15:23

Hoop Blah Martin Samuel was on Sunday Supplement yesterday and moaning that nobody in the Directors box, and so presumably the rest of the ground, knew why the City penalty had been retaken (it was for encroachment), so it sounds like the communication is still a little flawed.

Interestingly, it was only retaken for encroachment because the rebound fell to Rice. If the keeper had pushed it around the post for a corner, it would have stood. Probably just a gap on my part, but I didn't realise the encroachment rule only applied where the defensive team gained an advantage.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Aug 2019 16:24

Sanguine
Hoop Blah Martin Samuel was on Sunday Supplement yesterday and moaning that nobody in the Directors box, and so presumably the rest of the ground, knew why the City penalty had been retaken (it was for encroachment), so it sounds like the communication is still a little flawed.

Interestingly, it was only retaken for encroachment because the rebound fell to Rice. If the keeper had pushed it around the post for a corner, it would have stood. Probably just a gap on my part, but I didn't realise the encroachment rule only applied where the defensive team gained an advantage.

That's not quite how it used to be, so yeah, that might be another tweak to the rules that I'd not been aware of. It was always a little odd that some bloke standing 2 yards inside the area but 20 yards away from where the keeper saved it was worth a retake.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Aug 2019 16:56

Sanguine

Don't think that's true.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2019 17:09

It was what Shearer on MoTD and the chaps on Goals on Sunday both made of it, so might be a tweak. A welcome one if so.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Aug 2019 17:24

Sanguine It was what Shearer on MoTD and the chaps on Goals on Sunday both made of it, so might be a tweak. A welcome one if so.

That, above, is the FA's page today.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Aug 2019 09:51

Sanguine It was what Shearer on MoTD and the chaps on Goals on Sunday both made of it, so might be a tweak. A welcome one if so.

Pundits have such a good track record of knowing the laws of course

There were of course attacking players encroaching just as much as Rice, can't see that on Papes's table

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 13 Aug 2019 09:53

Silver Fox

There were of course attacking players encroaching just as much as Rice, can't see that on Papes's table

We had to do presentations of var and laws of the game to pundits, players and media. They are required to do this every post season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Aug 2019 09:54

We've already established you didn't, stop saying you did :roll:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 13 Aug 2019 10:11

Silver Fox

The FA's table. You can click on the image to get the url.

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-n ... FC45F8CEE5

Encroachment by attacking player is on the list.

Basics.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Aug 2019 10:20

You misunderstand me sir, there's encroachment by attackers and encroachment by defenders on your and the FA's table but what if there's encroachment by attackers AND defenders, as happened on Saturday but despite DD's pre-season advice pundits failed to mention it

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Aug 2019 10:47

Defenders encroached first.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 13 Aug 2019 10:54

Silver Fox We've already established you didn't, stop saying you did :roll:

Nobody has established I didn't. You and your tin foil hat said I didn't. But you have no idea really do you.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Aug 2019 11:58

stealthpapes

That, above, is the FA's page today.

I know. We'll see - I'm sure this won't be the only retaken penalty this season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Aug 2019 17:27

What the laws say and what VAR is entitled to be used for in relation to supporting decision-making are not necessarily the same thing .

In the case of encroachment, VAR may only be used to change a decision (or non-decision) when it is identified that the encroachment had a direct impact on the outcome.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Aug 2019 17:35

Platypuss

What the laws say and what VAR is entitled to be used for in relation to supporting decision-making are not necessarily the same thing .

In the case of encroachment, VAR may only be used to change a decision (or non-decision) when it is identified that the encroachment had a direct impact on the outcome.

Got it - and that explanation completes the circle between the pundits' assertion on MoTD, and the laws paps linked to.

Separately, I happen to think that it would be a sensible tweak to the laws anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2019 07:08

The Enfield Royal71
Silver Fox We've already established you didn't, stop saying you did :roll:

Nobody has established I didn't. You and your tin foil hat said I didn't. But you have no idea really do you.

I've got a pretty good idea.

1728 posts