VAR

1732 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: VAR

by Mr Angry » 19 Oct 2020 10:33

What happened to "giving the benefit of doubt to the attacker"?

There is no way seen either in real time or in a frame by frame still picture that Mane can be offside; these decisions are making an absolute mockery of what is a genuinely good idea in VAR.

There was an interesting comment made by the pundits that VAR is allowing refs not to make obvious decisions because they believe that VAR will make it for them; the "goal" that Sheff Utd scored against Villa which was disallowed because the technology couldn't see it when the Mark 1 eyeball could is a prime example.

As for the Pickford incident........that was ridiculous; the excuse that an offside was given so therefore, the game had stopped is - of course - bollox; don't the laws state that a player can be sent off for serious foul play at any time? If not, the next time a player is flagged offside, an opponet can punch him in the face and then claim because he had been offside, no offence was committed........

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Oct 2020 13:05

That excuse was shown to be absolute bollocks later in the very same game when Michael Oliver realised he was able to send off Richarlison for trying to break Thiago's leg after he'd blown for an earlier foul.

And now the "authorities" have said Pickford can't face retrospective action as VAR looked at the incident at the time. Did they? Or did they just draw their lines and look at the offside? Absolute joke

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2020 13:47

Silver Fox That excuse was shown to be absolute bollocks later in the very same game when Michael Oliver realised he was able to send off Richarlison for trying to break Thiago's leg after he'd blown for an earlier foul.

And now the "authorities" have said Pickford can't face retrospective action as VAR looked at the incident at the time. Did they? Or did they just draw their lines and look at the offside? Absolute joke

I heard that David Coote (VAR ref) hadn’t looked at the incident. Mind you given his offside decision later in the game perhaps he did.

Players can get sent off when the ball is out of play e.g. Keith Gillespie being sent off for SheffU against Reading that time, Jay Tabb being sent off in the tunnel etc. It will be unforgivable in my opinion if Jordan Pickford does not get disciplined by the FA/PL for what was an absolutely disgraceful challenge. But then Mr Mings didn’t when Villa last popped over to the Mad Stad.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Oct 2020 14:11

I remember a Reading defender (Sam Sodje?) getting a 2nd yellow at Old Trafford for a push on Rooney after the Granny Botherer had been flagged offside........

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2020 14:35

Mr Coote is due to referee the Leeds game tonight.
Many will no doubt watch his performance with interest unless he mysteriously gets a groin (or eye) strain and is replaced.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2020 09:10

A rule that absolute needs to change is that things can't be 're-refereed'. It's one of the fundamental weakness of the review system that its first aim is to ensure that the on-field referees are not 'undermined'. Why should we give a fcuk if the officials have already looked at an incident, if they have clearly got it wrong?

I'm not really in favour of a 'review' system (say one or two per team per match) instigated by the captain, but with incidents like the Sheffield United goal, and this Pickford challenge, I'm beginning to support it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Oct 2020 10:43

The next thing to come in - will be 4 quarters of 20 minutes - time stopped for each incident. You want VAR and working this way you then get clock management. Also ticks the commercial element. It would certainly of been a driving factor in the new look premier league driven by Liverpool and Man Uts and their American owners.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Oct 2020 10:44

Also - lots of calls this morning having ref's mic'd up etc - not a chance in high hell that will happen whilst players continue to talk to referee's like absolute dog turds.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Oct 2020 11:15

As a professional backer up of refs, what would you imagine David Coote saw on Saturday that meant he thought Pickford did nothing wrong Paul?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2020 11:58

I'm certainly interested* to know how Coote answers Liverpool's question as to which part of Mane's body was offside. For a start the line on the official VAR screenshot is joined to arm, from which you can't score.

Dermot Gallagher suggested yesterday that the Pickford incident was simple human error - described it in steps. Step 1, was it a foul (yes). Step 2, was Van Dijk offside (yes, so step 1 is overturned). Gallagher said that Coote simply didn't then return 'step 3', are there any other incidents that need review, i.e. he wrongly eliminated from review anything that happened after the offside, and not just penalty call.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 20 Oct 2020 12:06

The PL or PGMOL are certainly taking their time on this. Clarifications have generally been issued reasonably quickly. Gallagher's probably right about the Pickford sequence of events, what was his view on the Mane decision?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Oct 2020 13:16

Silver Fox As a professional backer up of refs, what would you imagine David Coote saw on Saturday that meant he thought Pickford did nothing wrong Paul?

Cant really defend this one SF. I just think under pressure, he panicked, got the offside right and that was the end of VAR involvement. Deemed it as a bad foul rather than a punch and presumed as offside now called correctly what happened after was irrelevant.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Oct 2020 13:19

That would make sense but then the FA (or whoever it is) has said that the incident was reviewed and nothing untoward was spotted

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Oct 2020 13:49

I really wish the FA listened to our presentation we gave them. They've asked us to come back to help them aswell but can't do that anymore. It is just going from bad to worse and we told them all of this at the time.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 20 Oct 2020 15:28

paultheroyal Also - lots of calls this morning having ref's mic'd up etc - not a chance in high hell that will happen whilst players continue to talk to referee's like absolute dog turds.

That should be one of the main reason to bring it in. If its stops all the petulant abuse the players dish give the ref I'm all for it. Is there any other sport where its accepted as normal?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Oct 2020 16:56

6ft Kerplunk
paultheroyal Also - lots of calls this morning having ref's mic'd up etc - not a chance in high hell that will happen whilst players continue to talk to referee's like absolute dog turds.

That should be one of the main reason to bring it in. If its stops all the petulant abuse the players dish give the ref I'm all for it. Is there any other sport where its accepted as normal?

Parenting?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2020 18:58

Silver Fox As a professional backer up of refs, what would you imagine David Coote saw on Saturday that meant he thought Pickford did nothing wrong Paul?

he barely touched him...maybe a yellow!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Oct 2020 21:08

BR0B0T

Or a very stern finger wagging

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2020 22:00

Franchise FC
BR0B0T

Or a very stern finger wagging

:lol: joking aside it was a definite yellow

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Oct 2020 22:52

Sanguine I'm certainly interested* to know how Coote answers Liverpool's question as to which part of Mane's body was offside. For a start the line on the official VAR screenshot is joined to arm, from which you can't score.

His shoulder was clearly off.

1732 posts