VAR

1731 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Sep 2021 19:24

URZZZZ However catastrophic the outcome was, I’m not sure Strujik warranted a red card for that tackle, can you really base a refereeing decision on the outcome, some incidents are pure accidents

Looked like a good tackle in real time. Obviously haven't seen a replay, but wouldn't be surprised if it gets rescinded.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Sep 2021 09:10

Not sure it was a straight red but probably a yellow under the current rules. He slides in and I don't think he connects with the ball just shields it before his trailing leg takes out Elliott. He'd already been booked so would have been off anyway. Wasn't a deliberately malicious tackle.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Oct 2021 14:39

Can someone explain to me the difference between a defender trying to cut a ball out, and hence ‘touching’ the ball (e.g. the Mbappe goal recently) and a goalkeeper saving a shot (deliberately, I presume) and the previously offside player having his ‘goal’ disallowed (e.g. Soucek at Everton today) ?

I’m genuinely all at sea trying to fathom where the laws have gone with this one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2021 17:34

Franchise FC Can someone explain to me the difference between a defender trying to cut a ball out, and hence ‘touching’ the ball (e.g. the Mbappe goal recently) and a goalkeeper saving a shot (deliberately, I presume) and the previously offside player having his ‘goal’ disallowed (e.g. Soucek at Everton today) ?

I’m genuinely all at sea trying to fathom where the laws have gone with this one

Keepers and outfielders are different?

If you treat the keeper the same, you can just stick a player offside by the keeper, passive, and pepper him with shots until he spills one for a chance. You can't really do the same to the same effectiveness waiting for touches from defenders.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Oct 2021 11:01

Franchise FC Can someone explain to me the difference between a defender trying to cut a ball out, and hence ‘touching’ the ball (e.g. the Mbappe goal recently) and a goalkeeper saving a shot (deliberately, I presume) and the previously offside player having his ‘goal’ disallowed (e.g. Soucek at Everton today) ?

The laws were applied correctly but the law is utterly ridiculous. If defender had let that go and they scored it would be disallowed. The attackers role clearly was influencing the play but its not considered in the current wording.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2021 09:38

paultheroyal

The laws were applied correctly but the law is utterly ridiculous. If defender had let that go and they scored it would be disallowed. The attackers role clearly was influencing the play but its not considered in the current wording.

Yeah, seems like an obvious target for a rule 'clarification'. Wasn't there something similar in a Liverpool-Spurs game in the last few years? Clearly a defender is only getting a toe on the ball where the attacker's influence causes them to try to defend it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Oct 2021 00:30

Not VAR but couldn’t find an appropriate thread but that disallowed QPR goal against Sunderland is a dreadful decision

Some offside calls are marginal and hard to spot but that one wasn’t even close. Guess it further supports the reason for the use of VAR if they’re getting decisions like that wrong

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Oct 2021 13:16

URZZZZ Not VAR but couldn’t find an appropriate thread but that disallowed QPR goal against Sunderland is a dreadful decision

Some offside calls are marginal and hard to spot but that one wasn’t even close. Guess it further supports the reason for the use of VAR if they’re getting decisions like that wrong

Fcuk me. Assume the linesman just hasn't seen the defender next to the keeper. Somehow.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Oct 2021 13:41

Sanguine
URZZZZ Not VAR but couldn’t find an appropriate thread but that disallowed QPR goal against Sunderland is a dreadful decision

Fcuk me. Assume the linesman just hasn't seen the defender next to the keeper. Somehow.

When the original cross comes into the box there is a QPR player way offside who the ball doesn't go to, but he then gets back onside, gets the ball and crosses it in so QPR gained an advantage by him being in an offside position.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Oct 2021 13:46

Different phase of play. Come on Winst, offside basics.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Oct 2021 13:51

I don't know whether the word "basic" can ever be used when describing the offside law ever again :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Oct 2021 13:53

Sanguine

Only saw a still on Twitter but didn’t actually realise it was that late in the game either!

You’d assume given the calibre of opposition likely to be left in the cup that the winner of this game is likely to be knocked out in the quarters anyway but nonetheless it’s still a dreadful decision. And could cost them financially if they miss out on a “glamorous” tie although not sure how revenue works in the cup with regards to the home/away team

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Oct 2021 13:55

Hendo I don't know whether the word "basic" can ever be used when describing the offside law ever again :lol:

Is a bit inconsistent still

Could be wrong and obviously didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but didn’t think Ronaldo’s goal should have been chalked off on Sunday

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Oct 2021 14:07

Sanguine Different phase of play. Come on Winst, offside basics.

I am just repeating what the football law propellerheads seems to be saying on twitter

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Nov 2021 16:30

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-02/ ... /100586922

Fans in Brazil storm pitch, destroy VAR equipment in Grêmio vs Palmeiras Serie A match

Football fans might despise the Video Assistant Referee, or VAR, but supporters of Brazilian club Grêmio took that hatred too far on Sunday, invading the pitch and destroying equipment after having a goal ruled out for offside in their 3-1 defeat against Palmeiras.

Lol

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2021 10:48

Var in Brazil has been a disaster.

Another classic last night in Botafogo game. Bloke through on goal, crosses to an attacker, referee gives handball but the ball falls to player who has a tap in for one nil.

Referee blew first - goes to VAR - no handball, then goal kick. Ignoring fact they had a tap in for the winner lol.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2021 21:25

Anyone else watching Everton v Arsenal ?

If so, can one of you explain why, when both the defender and the attacker have their feet on the white line at the edge of the penalty area, the red line defining the offside is drawn way inside the area ?

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 06 Dec 2021 21:56

Franchise FC Anyone else watching Everton v Arsenal ?

If so, can one of you explain why, when both the defender and the attacker have their feet on the white line at the edge of the penalty area, the red line defining the offside is drawn way inside the area ?

The fact that this was something I gave the fa in my presentation to them and they didn't listen rubs sugar into the wounds

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Dec 2021 14:11

I think it may have been an optical illusion caused by the fact that Richarlison's foot didn't appear to be grounded whereas the defender's was. :?:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Dec 2021 15:40

In the same game how on earth didn't Godfrey get sent off for what was clearly a stamp on the Arsenal player's face with no attempt to avoid him?
At best IMHO it was dangerous play and a yellow?

1731 posts