VAR

1731 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2020 13:06

6ft Kerplunk
Franchise FC My God - if you're going to cover up incompetence, don't be incompetent at the cover up :roll:

Don't think you're understanding how this country works these days.

I think I'm still living in a bygone era - about a couple of years or so ago

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jun 2020 00:59

Not much been made about the Leicester appeal against Brighton a couple of days back

I’m not 100% of the ins and outs of the handball law but as far as I remember, it’s related to a players “natural position”. Not sure anyone could argue Dunk was in a natural position when he handballed it in the last minute of the game

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Jun 2020 09:59

Wasn't particularly appealed but the Cahill one from last night was 'interesting' too - looked to me like he had his arm in the air and in front of his face when the ball struck it. I guess the short distance played a factor in the decision.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jun 2020 13:28

URZZZZ Not much been made about the Leicester appeal against Brighton a couple of days back

I’m not 100% of the ins and outs of the handball law but as far as I remember, it’s related to a players “natural position”. Not sure anyone could argue Dunk was in a natural position when he handballed it in the last minute of the game

When players are in the process of jumping or battling with an opponent for the ball their arms could be anywhere perfectly naturally or even pushed into an unnatural position because of the momentum of others around them. As a result it can be incredibly difficult to decide whether it is deliberate on the part of the offender or not so you have to leave it to the interpretation of the referee (or VAR).

The only clear direction you could give is to say every handball incident must be penalised with a free kick or penalty as saying vague things like “natural position” is just meaningless.

At the end of the day any handball decision is completely subjective and, whether VAR is used or not, you will always get inconsistencies so everyone just needs to live with it as they always have done.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jul 2020 16:33

VAR is shit at the moment...I'm tired of not celebrating goals!

The last Utd offside goal*...no way the linesman could see that! He guessed correctly!

The freekick that was allowed was prolly offside (by mm's).

If they can speed it up, cool...if not sack it off!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2020 10:36

BR0B0T VAR is shit at the moment...I'm tired of not celebrating goals!

The last Utd offside goal*...no way the linesman could see that! He guessed correctly!

The freekick that was allowed was prolly offside (by mm's).

If they can speed it up, cool...if not sack it off!

Yeah, been some dubious decisions recently

Soucek’s goal against Chelsea is another that springs to mind as well as Tottenham’s at Sheffield

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jul 2020 11:56

I need to check my sauce, but it would appear that the Premier League have admitted that there were 3 VAR 'errors' yesterday, including the Kane penalty incident and the Bruno Fernandez penalty incident.

I'll check and get back to you

[Edit:] Mail Online has confirmed

I can understand how a 'live' referee can get something wrong in these cases, but I fail to see how someone watching the replay a dozen times can still get it wrong.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jul 2020 12:14

Franchise FC I need to check my sauce, but it would appear that the Premier League have admitted that there were 3 VAR 'errors' yesterday, including the Kane penalty incident and the Bruno Fernandez penalty incident.

I can understand how a 'live' referee can get something wrong in these cases, but I fail to see how someone watching the replay a dozen times can still get it wrong.

Man United seem to get a penalty every game regardless, almost as if there’s a quota to hit, can’t explain the other two though, absolute shambles

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jul 2020 21:35

Franchise FC I need to check my sauce, but it would appear that the Premier League have admitted that there were 3 VAR 'errors' yesterday, including the Kane penalty incident and the Bruno Fernandez penalty incident.

Isn’t it about there being a ‘clear and obvious error’ or am I confusing that with income tax.
VAR shouldn’t over rule because they have a different opinion on an incident, they have to see that the referee has got something clearly wrong (tackle was outside the box not in, attackerdived and was not touched by the defender etcetc).
I don’t think that is how they are using it, but it should be

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jul 2020 21:37

Nameless

Isn’t it about there being a ‘clear and obvious error’ or am I confusing that with income tax.
VAR shouldn’t over rule because they have a different opinion on an incident, they have to see that the referee has got something clearly wrong (tackle was outside the box not in, attackerdived and was not touched by the defender etcetc).

If the PL are admitting they got it wrong it suggests there was a clear and obvious error

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jul 2020 21:53

Franchise FC
Nameless

If the PL are admitting they got it wrong it suggests there was a clear and obvious error

They could be mistaken though....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2020 21:54

PL have implemented it badly and are under a lot of pressure over it from pundits and journos who make little effort to understand it or the laws,so quite plausible they'd admit to errors that weren't.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 10 Jul 2020 22:21

FIFA are going to take control of VAR because it isn't as they wanted it to be. The FA seem to be the worst culprits by far as our on-field refs aren't consulting the pitch-side monitor and the ones in the studio are too loyal to their mates to overturn poor decisions - the mad-eyed bald Italian ref had some good advice today in the media.

VAR is crap and unnecessary because it spoils the game and stops the orgasmic goal and red card celebrations we hold so dear. For this reason alone, I think it should be scrapped. That argument was lost a long time ago, however, so all I really hope for now is that they change the handball law back to what we all knew as kids, ie it has to be deliberate.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Jul 2020 22:39

Jack Celliers VAR is crap and unnecessary because it spoils the game and stops the orgasmic goal and red card celebrations we hold so dear. For this reason alone, I think it should be scrapped.

'greed! I find it unusual now if a goal doesn't go to VAR

The celebration has gone

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 10 Jul 2020 23:21

Snowflake Royal PL have implemented it badly and are under a lot of pressure over it from pundits and journos who make little effort to understand it or the laws,so quite plausible they'd admit to errors that weren't.

If only they would have listened to me and the team during implementation of the technology we wouldn't be in this situation

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Jul 2020 07:21

Nameless
Franchise FC
Nameless

They could be mistaken though....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's made my day very early on a Saturday

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Jul 2020 09:02

BR0B0T
Jack Celliers VAR is crap and unnecessary because it spoils the game and stops the orgasmic goal and red card celebrations we hold so dear. For this reason alone, I think it should be scrapped.

The celebration has gone

They check every PL goal, so it would be seriously unusual if it didn’t go to VAR.
Not out of the question though with the incompetents we’ve got running it.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Jul 2020 14:27

Franchise FC
BR0B0T

The celebration has gone

They check every PL goal, so it would be seriously unusual if it didn’t go to VAR.
Not out of the question though with the incompetents we’ve got running it.

yeah sorry, didn't express that clearly enough

I'm not totally convinced that when we score a goal it's going to be given and I cling to hope that VAR will overturn their goals

Means I don't go all-in on goal celebrations...I'm not too fussed about getting it 100% right

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jul 2020 18:51

Really, what is the point of VAR ?

Lerma clearly kicks Jesus.
On field referee should probably have seen it but only has one look. VAR gets at least two or three and can’t see the bleeding obvious.

Just can it now. I can just about accept the on field getting it wrong but the number of crass decisions recently you’d think they’re trying to get rid of it.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Jul 2020 21:05

And another one.
Zara is fouled, not even reviewed and United score before the ball goes out of play. 8)

1731 posts