VAR

1731 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by BR0B0T » 08 Mar 2020 18:03

Emmer Green Royal
BR0B0T more VAR bullshit

Otamendi kicks Fred...Fred gets booked for diving.

May not have been a pen but defo not a dive

Maybe have a look at it!

If Fred was kicked, why can it not be a pen?

is it enough contact? I'd say yes but I'm biased

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jun 2020 18:54

OK, in the circumstances and given that the VAR can see clearly that the ball is over the line and behind the post, no less, why isn’t he in Michael Oliver’s ear to review it ?

Oliver’s tech clearly isn’t working and the fact that they rely on it so much means that, even though the linesman can see the ball behind the post, he doesn’t flag, either

Shambles already

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 17 Jun 2020 19:55

Franchise FC OK, in the circumstances and given that the VAR can see clearly that the ball is over the line and behind the post, no less, why isn’t he in Michael Oliver’s ear to review it ?

Oliver’s tech clearly isn’t working and the fact that they rely on it so much means that, even though the linesman can see the ball behind the post, he doesn’t flag, either

Shambles already

....what happened to their fancy birds-eye graphic showing how far over the ball was - presumably technology screwed up cos the keeper had it in his hands (tin foil lining to his sleeves perhaps.) :mrgreen:

Other than that the game was absolute bilge!

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Jun 2020 20:15

Who at the Premier League forgot they'd put Hawkeye on furlough?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2020 20:21

Franchise FC OK, in the circumstances and given that the VAR can see clearly that the ball is over the line and behind the post, no less, why isn’t he in Michael Oliver’s ear to review it ?

Shambles already

Thing is, there's normally no need for VAR to look at whether the ball crosses the line. So it may not be something they are permitted to rule on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jun 2020 20:25

So what happens if Sheff Utd miss out on a CL place or Europa due to malfunctioning equipment?

Or Villa stay up by a point?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jun 2020 20:34

6ft Kerplunk Who at the Premier League forgot they'd put Hawkeye on furlough?
pathetic so-called technology.’enhancing‘ the game

Again....what a waste of time....or is £ the real governing decider here?

We have retrospective punishments (lol) why not retrospective results? (lol) and of course nailed-on goals (lol)

£remierlolship

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Jun 2020 22:54

So this is apparently the first failure of Hawkeye technology in the PL since it was introduced in 2013. As much as this shit is important, I'll take that error rate.

Doesn't excuse though the lack of involvement of VAR.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jun 2020 23:07

Sanguine So this is apparently the first failure of Hawkeye technology in the PL since it was introduced in 2013. As much as this shit is important, I'll take that error rate.

Doesn't excuse though the lack of involvement of VAR.

1 error in 9000 uses apparently.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jun 2020 23:36

Snowflake Royal

Shambles already

Thing is, there's normally no need for VAR to look at whether the ball crosses the line. So it may not be something they are permitted to rule on.

Agree here

The Hawkeye technology has always worked fine without a problem before so there was no real reason to disbelieve it

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jun 2020 00:03

Until tonight...obviously

Not as if they haven’t had enough time ‘polish the lenses’

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jun 2020 08:42

AthleticoSpizz Until tonight...obviously

Not as if they haven’t had enough time ‘polish the lenses’

Give is a rest spizz. It was one mistake ffs in 9000 uses. Stop being offended on behalf of others..
The faux outrage on here is a bit silly

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Jun 2020 08:50

It was a massive gaffe tbh and the main issue for me is that the officials are obviously not looking at this sort of thing properly in real time, knowing GDS has got their back. Having said that Hawkeye, unlike VAR, has proven to be pretty reliable in something like 9000 games, I just wish they'd be honest about what happened because there was a camera angle on the telly that showed the ball was over the line so I don't now where their 7 occluded cameras were

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Jun 2020 09:34

Silver Fox It was a massive gaffe tbh and the main issue for me is that the officials are obviously not looking at this sort of thing properly in real time, knowing GDS has got their back. Having said that Hawkeye, unlike VAR, has proven to be pretty reliable in something like 9000 games, I just wish they'd be honest about what happened because there was a camera angle on the telly that showed the ball was over the line so I don't now where their 7 occluded cameras were

Yes, the ‘occluded’ doesn’t wash.
There were only two players even vaguely in the vicinity and one of them was at least a metre away from the ball at the point it was over the line. If that’s enough to prevent the system from working we’d have had dozens of them.

My guess, some bozo didn’t switch it on. Either the referee with his watch or a Hawkeye employee with the cameras. All this stuff about sight lines is just a distraction from someone losing their job.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 18 Jun 2020 09:56

Franchise FC
Silver Fox It was a massive gaffe tbh and the main issue for me is that the officials are obviously not looking at this sort of thing properly in real time, knowing GDS has got their back. Having said that Hawkeye, unlike VAR, has proven to be pretty reliable in something like 9000 games, I just wish they'd be honest about what happened because there was a camera angle on the telly that showed the ball was over the line so I don't now where their 7 occluded cameras were

Yes, the ‘occluded’ doesn’t wash.
There were only two players even vaguely in the vicinity and one of them was at least a metre away from the ball at the point it was over the line. If that’s enough to prevent the system from working we’d have had dozens of them.

My guess, some bozo didn’t switch it on. Either the referee with his watch or a Hawkeye employee with the cameras. All this stuff about sight lines is just a distraction from someone losing their job.

The ball was wrapped up in the goalies body, easy to see how many of the cameras no longer had a direct line of sight to the ball. No one has yet to give a proper reason why VAR official just sat on his arse.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Jun 2020 11:00

Stranded So what happens if Sheff Utd miss out on a CL place or Europa due to malfunctioning equipment?

Or Villa stay up by a point?

Sheffield Utd miss out and Villa stay up - hope that helps.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Jun 2020 11:16

Would appear correct those who noted that on the basis that the GDS was deemed to be working, VAR didn't intervene, i.e. GDS 'correctly' gave no goal. But nevertheless it seems plain silly of the PL this morning to say that they have 'no plans' to review the use of VAR.

Would seem a very simple addendum to the protocols that in the event that GDS is not working (which surely would have been evident the second the incident occurred), then VAR can correct 'clear and obvious errors'. Especially simple since the frequency of this occurring is, so far, 1 in 9000 games.

There always feels a reluctance on the part of the PL to undermine any decision or process that has gone before - 'no, it worked fine'. Contrast this with Hawkeye who have had both barrels on social media, but at least immediately 'fessed up and apologised.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Jun 2020 13:16

Apparently the PL said VAR didn't intervene, because Oliver had already brought the passage of play (that contained the ghost goal) to an end (with a subsequent infringement against Villa). Shambolic.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Jun 2020 15:18

Whore Jackie Apparently the PL said VAR didn't intervene, because Oliver had already brought the passage of play (that contained the ghost goal) to an end (with a subsequent infringement against Villa). Shambolic.

That's absolute bullshit. The whole point is that they normally wait for the ball to be out of play.

My God - if you're going to cover up incompetence, don't be incompetent at the cover up :roll:

Oh, and the subsequent infringement was a free kick in a dangerous position FOR Villa (assuming my memory of yesterday isn't failing)

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jun 2020 12:05

Franchise FC My God - if you're going to cover up incompetence, don't be incompetent at the cover up :roll:

Don't think you're understanding how this country works these days.

1731 posts