Women's Euros

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Women's Euros

by Sanguine » 31 Jul 2017 09:19

Thought there was a thread on this but can't see it now.

So we're into the semi-finals, have won 4 out of 4, only 1 goal conceded.

I tried, I really tried, I watched the vast majority of the QF against France last night, but apart from a couple of sparks, it was of dire quality. Channel 4 had passing stats at about 70% for both sides, but they must have a different definition of passing to most, as the game was more ping-pong off heads and shoulders and legs than much else.

I'd heard Fran Kirby called the 'women's Messi', but she was totally absent from proceedings, made Jamie Cureton, on one of his particularly quiet days, look hard-working.

Our couple of sparks were Jill Scott in midfield - a bit of a Nemanja Matic, all arms and legs and crunching tackles; she got booked and will miss the semi-final. And Katie Taylor, who got the winning goal, did the running for both her and Kirby, albeit the ball bounced off her a hell of a lot. Lucy Bronze was a livewire too.

Appreciate this is a thoroughly sexist post, and congrats to the team for beating the 3rd ranked side in the world, and we're now favourites to win the whole thing. But having not watched the women's game for a couple of years I was surprised how far it hasn't come, quality-wise. Seemed to me that the players had got technically better as individuals - some of the close control and dribbling was as good as you'll see in the men's game, but neither side had much cohesiveness as a team.

BerksRzz

Re: Women's Euros

by BerksRzz » 31 Jul 2017 09:49

I hope they lose ASAP

Will be unbearable if they win it, as will the BBC.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Jul 2017 10:59

BerksRzz I hope they lose ASAP

Will be unbearable if they win it, as will the BBC.

What will be unbearable? People being happy?

BerksRzz

by BerksRzz » 31 Jul 2017 11:03

No - it will be made out by some media outlets to be as important ans as much of an achievement as winning the world cup in 66.

All in the name of political correctness.

TBH it wont make or break my life if they did win it but I would prefer them to crash out so we can forget about the freakshow for another two years.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Jul 2017 11:05

I don't imagine what you suggest would be true. Media coverage has been minimal up to this point. Winning it would certainly help to further raise the profile of the women's game though, which can only be a good thing.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 31 Jul 2017 11:08

The quality is dreadful.

For some reason, the ex-football player female
commentator has decided to go down the route
of being even more boring, dour and northern
than her male counterparts...i.e. feels the need
to explain everything, contradicting herself and
just ending up being confusing....but mostly
boring....very boring!

BerksRzz

by BerksRzz » 31 Jul 2017 11:16

BR0B0T The quality is dreadful.

For some reason, the ex-football player female
commentator has decided to go down the route
of being even more boring, dour and northern
than her male counterparts...i.e. feels the need
to explain everything, contradicting herself and
just ending up being confusing....but mostly
boring....very boring!

Perhaps she was struggling with premenstrual cramps.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2017 13:24

While I'm not a particular fan of women's football, I wish good luck to the girls. Hope they win it and there are two Reading WFC players turning out for England so there is also some local interest.

I bet that if the FA had not slapped a ban on women's football for 50 years, interest in and the profile of the game would be much higher and there'd be a lot more accepting it for what it is etc.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1