Weekend Football

5342 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Franchise FC » 26 Oct 2019 21:14

Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71
Winston Biscuit Scoring a hat-trick seems to get way more praise and excitement than 1 more goal than scoring 2 goals. The hat-trick itself seems to be what's celebrated, instead, or maybe on top of, the actual 3 goals. It seems off.

I hope I am making sense here.

ummmmmm

wtf?

I feel like because it has a little name attached to it there is additional hype around it, like it's a personally trophy that player has won. If the phrase 'hat-trick' didn't exist and instead it was just called 'scoring 3 goals' I don't believe we would see the week of over the top hype the 3 goal scoring player gets currently.

The reaction to a hat-trick feels like an additional prize has been secured on top of scoring 3 goals.

The experience leaves me cold sometimes.

Although, notwithstanding this weekend, scoring 3 in a game is still ‘relatively’ rare.
I think that’s why so much is made of it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2019 21:24

Franchise FC
Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71
ummmmmm

wtf?

I feel like because it has a little name attached to it there is additional hype around it, like it's a personally trophy that player has won. If the phrase 'hat-trick' didn't exist and instead it was just called 'scoring 3 goals' I don't believe we would see the week of over the top hype the 3 goal scoring player gets currently.

The reaction to a hat-trick feels like an additional prize has been secured on top of scoring 3 goals.

Although, notwithstanding this weekend, scoring 3 in a game is still ‘relatively’ rare.
I think that’s why so much is made of it.

But scoring 3 in a game is good, and should be rightly applauded.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Oct 2019 21:26

Winston Biscuit

they should give it some kind of name to differentiate it

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2019 21:34

BR0B0T
Winston Biscuit

they should give it some kind of name to differentiate it

At which point it takes on a status of more than just 3 goals and is celebrated disproportionately so

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Oct 2019 23:15

Always nice to see a rare lesser spotted perfect hat-trick.

Even if it was for Chelsea

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Oct 2019 02:04

Treated myself to some American soccer while I’m on holiday here. Pittsburgh Riverhounds had a home playoff game against Birmingham Legion at the 5,000 capacity Highmark Stadium.

Tickets were nice and cheap $15 and even though it pissed with rain it was a good experience.

Pittsburgh ended up winning 7-0 with Birmingham being pretty bloody shit. They went down to 10 men after an hour but it was already 5-0 by then (as it was at half time).

This is the level below the MLS even there isn’t any promotion. The standard was a bit hard to judge due to how bad Birmingham were but I’d say Pittsburgh looked like they could match a lower end league 1 / league 2 team.

Stadium had a great view of the Pittsburgh skyline.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2019 10:53

Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71
Winston Biscuit Scoring a hat-trick seems to get way more praise and excitement than 1 more goal than scoring 2 goals. The hat-trick itself seems to be what's celebrated, instead, or maybe on top of, the actual 3 goals. It seems off.

ummmmmm

wtf?

Er... scoring two goals has a name too. It's a brace. And it gets celebrated more than 1 goal.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 27 Oct 2019 15:52

What's name for four goals?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2019 16:03

John Madejski's Wallet What's name for four goals?

Don't think there is one, must be very few in a season across the whole league.

Double brace?
Showing off?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Oct 2019 16:42

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71
ummmmmm

wtf?

Er... scoring two goals has a name too. It's a brace. And it gets celebrated more than 1 goal.

And it absolutely should be celebrated more than 1 goal. Cant see anyone having a problem with that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Oct 2019 17:01

Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71

ummmmmm

wtf?

Hat trick originates in cricket where traditionally, a player taking 3 wickets in 3 balls was given a new hat, so yes, it was originally rewarded with a prize.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Oct 2019 17:07

From Despair To Where?
Winston Biscuit
The Enfield Royal71
ummmmmm

wtf?

Hat trick originates in cricket where traditionally, a player taking 3 wickets in 3 balls was given a new hat, so yes, it was originally rewarded with a prize.

I want footballers to be given, and have to wear, the hat-trick hat

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Oct 2019 17:10

A nice stovepipe hat maybe?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Oct 2019 18:35

How you doing without Ozil Unai? Baffling decision to freeze him out from an inept manager

Although not sure Xhaka's reaction when he was subbed off was the smartest...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Oct 2019 23:19

People starting to see why Zidane doesn't rate Ceballos.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 28 Oct 2019 00:27

Older Royals with memories of 85/86 will appreciate this: today my U12 girls were 0-3 down with 25 minutes to go and then scored four without reply - with two coming in the last two minutes - to win 4-3. Scenes and limbs everywhere.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2019 00:49

URZZZZ How you doing without Ozil Unai? Baffling decision to freeze him out from an inept manager

Hardly, the bloke is bad news. Two managers now that he’s produced nothing for.

Get rid.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2019 01:15

leon
URZZZZ How you doing without Ozil Unai? Baffling decision to freeze him out from an inept manager

Get rid.

That’s a load of rubbish to suggest he produced nothing for Wenger. Come on. He had poor games under Wenger but on the whole he was good

You say get rid of him and then you look at the other options they have. Willock (not ready), Ceballos (pointless), Xhaka Torreira Guendouzi (all CDM’s). How he’s not getting into this team is beyond me considering they’ve scored 2 goals in open play in the last 5 games FFS

I’d wager a lot of money Ozil will outstay Emery. The blokes a fraud and always will be

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2019 01:20

URZZZZ
leon

Get rid.

That’s a load of rubbish to suggest he produced nothing for Wenger. Come on. He had poor games under Wenger but on the whole he was good

You say get rid of him and then you look at the other options they have. Willock (not ready), Ceballos (pointless), Xhaka Torreira Guendouzi (all CDM’s). How he’s not getting into this team is beyond me considering they’ve scored 2 goals in open play in the last 5 games FFS

I’d wager a lot of money Ozil will outstay Emery. The blokes a fraud and always will be

Sorry he’s totally underperformed and let down two managers,

Someone of his talent should be league player of the season.

Has he fcuk.

Get rid.

Edit: unlike you I’m not an Arsenal fan (I’m reading) so haven’t got a clue on how they’ll cope without him.

Strangely I couldn’t give a fcuking shit.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2019 02:13

leon
URZZZZ
leon

Get rid.

Sorry he’s totally underperformed and let down two managers,

Someone of his talent should be league player of the season.

Has he fcuk.

Get rid.

Edit: unlike you I’m not an Arsenal fan (I’m reading) so haven’t got a clue on how they’ll cope without him.

Strangely I couldn’t give a fcuking shit.

Agreed, Ozil goes missing in so many games it’s unreal.

5342 posts