5336 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Sutekh » 25 Nov 2019 17:28

Stranded
Winston Biscuit
Stranded
On track to let in 133 goals this season - 8 shy of the record number conceded by Darwin in 1898/99.

If Project141 is to be ON! then they need to concede 89 goals in the remaining 26 games which is an average of 3.42 per game. Sounds quite doable for them tbh

#Project141

If they are to do it in as few games as Darwen they need to do it in 14 more games. Darwen let 109 away from home including 3 10-0 defeats - it was their last Football League season.

Darwen were also the first club ever to be relegated - dropping from the 1st Division into the new 2nd Division in 1892 - and I believe they were the only club to be promoted and relegated via the test match series.

Think the last bit might be wrong as I believe test matches were used 5 or 6 seasons

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Nov 2019 20:44

Newcastle are so poor.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2019 21:25

Old Man Andrews Newcastle are so poor.

How much did their front three cost again (Joelinton, ASM and Almiron)? Absolute garbage apart from Saint Maximin and he's inconsistent as it is

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2019 07:48

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Newcastle are so poor.

How much did their front three cost again (Joelinton, ASM and Almiron)? Absolute garbage apart from Saint Maximin and he's inconsistent as it is

I have got no idea what Almiron is meant to be, I don't think he does either. Think Bruce is a good Championship coach and good with Championship players but he has no idea what to do with talented internationals, he isn't even nearly on their wavelength.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2019 08:12

Sutekh
Stranded
Winston Biscuit
If Project141 is to be ON! then they need to concede 89 goals in the remaining 26 games which is an average of 3.42 per game. Sounds quite doable for them tbh

#Project141

If they are to do it in as few games as Darwen they need to do it in 14 more games. Darwen let 109 away from home including 3 10-0 defeats - it was their last Football League season.

Darwen were also the first club ever to be relegated - dropping from the 1st Division into the new 2nd Division in 1892 - and I believe they were the only club to be promoted and relegated via the test match series.

Think the last bit might be wrong as I believe test matches were used 5 or 6 seasons

Yeah, I know the test matches were used for 5 or 6 years before being scrapped due to being unpopular esp. when they changed to a group stage. I meant, and may have been badly worded that I think they were the only team to both win promotion and be relegated through them. Could still be wrong though of course but sure I read that somewhere.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Nov 2019 11:55

Old Man Andrews .

Goodness me the weeks come around quick and never cease to treat us! FA Cup weekend plus various humdingers!

Burnley v Crystal Palace
Ebbsfleet United v Wrexham
Bristol Rovers v Plymouth
St. Ives Town FC v Stratford Town

Cheers as always

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Nov 2019 12:01

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Goodness me the weeks come around quick and never cease to treat us! FA Cup weekend plus various humdingers!

Burnley v Crystal Palace
Ebbsfleet United v Wrexham
Bristol Rovers v Plymouth
St. Ives Town FC v Stratford Town

Cheers as always

Burnley V Crystal Palace - I am tempted to go for an away win in this one, Palace could do with a victory right now as they are going through a patch of bad form. 0-1 Palace

Ebbsfleet v Wrexham - Two of the basement sides go head to head here in what will probably be a poor game. Can see this one ending up a draw. 1-1

Bristol Rovers v Plymouth - Everyone loves an upset and I think we will get one here! Plymouth go there with nothing to lose and it should be a great atmosphere. 1-2 Plymouth

St Ives Town v Stratford Town - St Ives have lost 5 on the spin, have been awful this season. Stratford are't that great either. I think we will get an away win here though. 0-2 Stratford

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Dec 2019 08:28

Can't make up my mind if this just shows the PL is competitive or shit this year but Wolves and Sheff utd are 6th and 7th but have both only won 4 of 14 games. The same number of games won by Everton in 17th.

Means a run of 2 or 3 wins can put you in the top 5 but a run of 2 or 3 defeats can see you just outside the relegation zone. Just 6 points between Spurs (5th) and Everton (17th).

Currently on course for 55 points to be enough for 5th - which would end up being some 15 points behind 4th.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Dec 2019 18:36

HB David Batty

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Dec 2019 16:51

Southend looked like Project141 was falling apart already but four 2nd half goals mean they are still on track

#project141

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Dec 2019 21:30

How good are Leicester looking ?
Good football, lethal upfront and solid at the back

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Dec 2019 23:36

Franchise FC How good are Leicester looking ?

Yeah like last time they've got me watching MotD again. Really enjoy their counterattacking

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2019 23:59

John Madejski's Wallet

Yeah like last time they've got me watching MotD again. Really enjoy their counterattacking

Hopefully the era of dull tika taka is dying. Arsenal are struggling, City are struggling, and hopefully it's now gearing towards faster, higher tempo play, hence Liverpool and Leicester doing so well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2019 10:18

John Madejski's Wallet

Massive Christmas for Leicester. They are the real deal though aren't they? 8 straight wins now.

The play Norwich next - so would expect a win there but then:

21/12 - Man City (a)
26/12 - Liverpool (H)

Liverpool have no game on the 21st due to the World Club Cup so could come into that Leicester game 7 or 8 points clear with a game in hand.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Dec 2019 10:20

Stranded
John Madejski's Wallet

Massive Christmas for Leicester.

The play Norwich next - so would expect a win there but then:

21/12 - Man City (a)
26/12 - Liverpool (H)

Liverpool have no game on the 21st due to the World Club Cup so could come into that Leicester game 7 or 8 points clear with a game in hand.

Or they could be 2 points in front after Boxing Day (albeit with a game in hand)

I'm not predicting that but Leicester have proved everyone wrong once. Maybe lightning really can strike twice.
Anyone have a bet on at 5,000 to 1 :wink:
What were their odds at the start of this season, be the way ?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Dec 2019 11:52

Newcastle fans eating some humble pie with bruce? this time last year the 'messiah' that was Benitez had them in 15th on 13 points, 3 points above relegation.

This year 22 points 10th and 7 points above relegation after 16 games.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Dec 2019 14:52

Burnley & Palace next up for them too.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Dec 2019 15:09

Winston Biscuit Burnley & Palace next up for them too.

Aren't Palace doing OK ?

Laughingly, the Telegraph website had the headline yesterday of Watford end winless run
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/08/watford-end-winless-run-send-norwich-bottom-premier-league/

Well, unless that's a definition of win that I'd not previously encountered then the headline is somewhat misleading. It's almost as if the Torygraph is so used to misleading headlines that they can't help themselves.

Or did I miss Watford's winner ?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 23:53

Franchise FC

Aren't Palace doing OK ?

Laughingly, the Telegraph website had the headline yesterday of Watford end winless run
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/08/watford-end-winless-run-send-norwich-bottom-premier-league/

Well, unless that's a definition of win that I'd not previously encountered then the headline is somewhat misleading. It's almost as if the Torygraph is so used to misleading headlines that they can't help themselves.

This was a headline from a month ago...where they did end their winless run

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Dec 2019 06:47

URZZZZ
Franchise FC

Aren't Palace doing OK ?

This was a headline from a month ago...where they did end their winless run

It appears I managed to pick up the wrong url :oops:
They used the same headline for the draw with Palace at the weekend.
Should’ve posted it straight away :evil:

5336 posts