Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Oct 2021 18:05

Sounds like the Newcastle takeover by the Saudi's may well happen now

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Oct 2021 18:16

Winston Biscuit Sounds like the Newcastle takeover by the Saudi's may well happen now

Steve Bruce had better start packing up his belongings...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Oct 2021 08:17

Winston Biscuit Sounds like the Newcastle takeover by the Saudi's may well happen now

I’m going to miss all those obese Geordies crying about being shit.

Actually I’m not.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Oct 2021 08:20

would be great to see the takeover happen as Newcastle get relegated

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Oct 2021 08:31

BRING BACK KEVIN KEEGAN!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Oct 2021 08:43

NathStPaul BRING BACK KEVIN KEEGAN!

:roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Oct 2021 08:52

Winston Biscuit would be great to see the takeover happen as Newcastle get relegated

It would be quite funny if they're still shit/mediocre after this takeover they're all desperate to happen.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Oct 2021 08:55

Hendo
Winston Biscuit would be great to see the takeover happen as Newcastle get relegated

It would be quite funny if they're still shit/mediocre after this takeover they're all desperate to happen.

With the nature of finances in football I can't see anything like a Man City situation in which the club is completely transformed. I can see Newcastle getting a decent manager in and improving the squad but any thoughts of a title challenge next season should be dismissed pretty quickly.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Oct 2021 09:08

NathStPaul
Hendo

With the nature of finances in football I can't see anything like a Man City situation in which the club is completely transformed. I can see Newcastle getting a decent manager in and improving the squad but any thoughts of a title challenge next season should be dismissed pretty quickly.

Why? It won't happen overnight, but sensible investment can see them competing within a decade. Especially as Man City's legal team basically killed UEFA'S FFP restrictions last year.

Aside from all the ethics of sportswashing etc., which is already rampant across the sporting world, I quite like Newcastle as a place and a club so wouldn't begrudge them some success.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Oct 2021 09:13

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul
Hendo

Why? It won't happen overnight, but sensible investment can see them competing within a decade. Especially as Man City's legal team basically killed UEFA'S FFP restrictions last year.

Aside from all the ethics of sportswashing etc., which is already rampant across the sporting world, I quite like Newcastle as a place and a club so wouldn't begrudge them some success.

Read the bit in bold.

They will not be another Manchester City, the days of spaffing a load of money up the wall are well and truly over. Of course within a decade they can compete to some degree, it won't be overnight though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Oct 2021 09:33

NathStPaul
WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul With the nature of finances in football I can't see anything like a Man City situation in which the club is completely transformed. I can see Newcastle getting a decent manager in and improving the squad but any thoughts of a title challenge next season should be dismissed pretty quickly.

Read the bit in bold.

They will not be another Manchester City, the days of spaffing a load of money up the wall are well and truly over. Of course within a decade they can compete to some degree, it won't be overnight though.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a League Cup challenge, or something next season if they make some decent signings.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Oct 2021 09:36

Hendo
NathStPaul
WestYorksRoyal Why? It won't happen overnight, but sensible investment can see them competing within a decade. Especially as Man City's legal team basically killed UEFA'S FFP restrictions last year.

Read the bit in bold.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a League Cup challenge, or something next season if they make some decent signings.

Absolutely, this should be their aim. I think they should copy the Leicester City model rather than chase the ultimate prize, that will come in time if they can manage the club correctly. Invest in the local area, build a relationship with the supporters and create a positive atmosphere should be the Newcastle owners first task. If you can do that then all the other stuff will follow imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2021 14:58

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ
No fun losing every week. Novelty wears off

They’ve lost 16 Prem league games in a row. They’ve only scored 3 goals in that period. Like I said, each to their own, but struggling to see why you’d be happy with that approach

They are financially secure and have a great ownership structure that will ensure the club are around for many years to come. They'll never struggle financially and have a fantastic youth set up to fall back on. Their supporters get to watch the best players in the world playing at Carrow Road and know that if their team gets relegated from the Premier League, they'll have a great chance of winning the Championship the next season.

Why are you struggling to see all that as a positive?

From a fans’ perspective (which I think was my initial point), they don’t particularly care about the finances. They want to see their team competitive and trying to win games of football. They’re not even close to either of those. To repeat, 16 games lost in a row in the Prem

You’re regurgitating financial stuff which is fairly irrelevant to the wider point that is isn’t much fun being a Norwich fan. You only have to see the reactions from their fans to realise that perhaps it isn’t much fun just yo-yoing each season with the inevitable losses

“Best players in the world” - I’d suggest that doesn’t even come into the thinking of their supporters

By contrast though, every other season they win loads of games and have a promotion party.

Fans are shortermists, but there'd be much more gnashing and wailing if they bet big, still went down and then struggled in mid-table. Or ended up back in League One. They certainly wouldn’t be happy not getting promoted regularly.

Personally, regular top 9 in the Championship suits me fine. But its hard to sustain.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 10 Oct 2021 17:48

Forest Green lost to local rivals Swindon in the derby :evil:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Oct 2021 23:33

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
NathStPaul They are financially secure and have a great ownership structure that will ensure the club are around for many years to come. They'll never struggle financially and have a fantastic youth set up to fall back on. Their supporters get to watch the best players in the world playing at Carrow Road and know that if their team gets relegated from the Premier League, they'll have a great chance of winning the Championship the next season.

Why are you struggling to see all that as a positive?

From a fans’ perspective (which I think was my initial point), they don’t particularly care about the finances. They want to see their team competitive and trying to win games of football. They’re not even close to either of those. To repeat, 16 games lost in a row in the Prem

You’re regurgitating financial stuff which is fairly irrelevant to the wider point that is isn’t much fun being a Norwich fan. You only have to see the reactions from their fans to realise that perhaps it isn’t much fun just yo-yoing each season with the inevitable losses

“Best players in the world” - I’d suggest that doesn’t even come into the thinking of their supporters

By contrast though, every other season they win loads of games and have a promotion party.

Fans are shortermists, but there'd be much more gnashing and wailing if they bet big, still went down and then struggled in mid-table. Or ended up back in League One. They certainly wouldn’t be happy not getting promoted regularly.

Personally, regular top 9 in the Championship suits me fine. But its hard to sustain.

Yeah - possibly

Just don’t think the Prem is as cracked up as it used to be. Bigger divide between teams, rich get richer while the poor gets poorer, heavily money orientated, VAR, list goes on

Norwich just aren’t pragmatic enough. Their risky, open nature works against bog standard champ players like Puscas but not against top strikers

Thing is though, as OMA amongst others allude to, they’re in a healthy position financially so no real urge to change the approach - even if they’re losing each week and rarely manage to score

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Oct 2021 09:24

Fans wont like it but if i was Newcastle i'd clean up the top players at clubs like Brentford.

Buying Coutinho is just nonsense and a waste of money.

Should be buying the likes of Ivan Toney etc build a team and then look to purchase marquee names next summer.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Oct 2021 09:53

paultheroyal Fans wont like it but if i was Newcastle i'd clean up the top players at clubs like Brentford.

Should be buying the likes of Ivan Toney etc build a team and then look to purchase marquee names next summer.

I guess the problem with that is Brentford will want way over market price for him (stupidly so), especially during January, the fact that Newcastle are relegation rivals and with the knowledge that Newcastle have all this money.

Coutinho might only be a short term solution but Barca are desperate for the money and will probably let him go for decent value.

If Brentford go down though, Toney would probably be an excellent signing for them.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Oct 2021 10:11

Hendo
paultheroyal Fans wont like it but if i was Newcastle i'd clean up the top players at clubs like Brentford.

I guess the problem with that is Brentford will want way over market price for him (stupidly so), especially during January, the fact that Newcastle are relegation rivals and with the knowledge that Newcastle have all this money.

Coutinho might only be a short term solution but Barca are desperate for the money and will probably let him go for decent value.

If Brentford go down though, Toney would probably be an excellent signing for them.

I agree with both stances tbh. I think they definitely need a couple of marquee signings to get the ball rolling, once one big name goes there then more will follow. Their main policy should be to invest in youth though, go after the best young players in England and Europe from some of the smaller clubs. Todd Cantwell and Max Aarons at Norwich would be two names I will throw out there.

What they can't do is what Man City did at first by getting in money hungry show ponies like Robinho or Balotelli. They need the right sort of big name signing, players who actually care about football and will put a shift in.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Oct 2021 10:14

NathStPaul
Hendo

I agree with both stances tbh. I think they definitely need a couple of marquee signings to get the ball rolling, once one big name goes there then more will follow. Their main policy should be to invest in youth though, go after the best young players in England and Europe from some of the smaller clubs. Todd Cantwell and Max Aarons at Norwich would be two names I will throw out there.

What they can't do is what Man City did at first by getting in money hungry show ponies like Robinho or Balotelli. They need the right sort of big name signing, players who actually care about football and will put a shift in.

Absolutely - it has to be that approach.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Oct 2021 12:02

paultheroyal
NathStPaul
Hendo

Absolutely - it has to be that approach.

I think Toney is a shoe-in to go back to Newcastle. But also think they'll go down the Coutinho/Isco route to get a couple of real "big name" signings through the door.

5702 posts