5540 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:17

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Footballers are humans too. They're not robots.

Many people nowadays complain that footballers are too detached from the supporters. You finally see McBurnie acting like a "supporter" and this happens

Don't disagree particularly with your last point but it's just how a lot of supporters do behave now, goading opposition supporters

He acted like a bellend, not a football supporter. He is a professional footballer, probably on around 40k a week and with that comes responsibility. By all means go to games, be a supporter but in the back of your mind he should have known he would be picked up on TV and he has to set an example.

100% agreed.

He may have got caught up in the moment, but he should've considered that beforehand.

Wasn't McIntyre in the crowd for the Brentford away game? I saw Matt Mills in the away end when we went to Cardiff once.

I'm not going to agree with you here

He's enjoying the game in the way that he wants to. Rightly or wrongly, who are we to pass judgement on how a "supporter" should act? Because in this instance, he isn't a footballer. He's a fan, he's under no obligation to be an "example" or a role model to anyone

The underlying point is why should he be treated differently to every other Swansea fan who are doing it?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 12:23

URZZZZ
Hendo
Old Man Andrews He acted like a bellend, not a football supporter. He is a professional footballer, probably on around 40k a week and with that comes responsibility. By all means go to games, be a supporter but in the back of your mind he should have known he would be picked up on TV and he has to set an example.

100% agreed.

He may have got caught up in the moment, but he should've considered that beforehand.

Wasn't McIntyre in the crowd for the Brentford away game? I saw Matt Mills in the away end when we went to Cardiff once.

He's enjoying the game in the way that he wants to. Rightly or wrongly, who are we to pass judgement on how a "supporter" should act? Because in this instance, he isn't a footballer. He's a fan, he's under no obligation to be an "example" or a role model to anyone

The underlying point is why should he be treated differently to every other Swansea fan who are doing it?

Because he isn't just a Swansea fan is he?

I cannot believe you need any of this explaining to you, very dumb.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 12:25

URZZZZ
Hendo
Old Man Andrews He acted like a bellend, not a football supporter. He is a professional footballer, probably on around 40k a week and with that comes responsibility. By all means go to games, be a supporter but in the back of your mind he should have known he would be picked up on TV and he has to set an example.

100% agreed.

What if he had shouted racist abuse? Would you still be making the same argument?

He shouldn't be treated any differently, but he is someone in the limelight and if gets picked out then the FA have to give him a warning, otherwise they are seen as doing nothing and are basically saying that it is ok for one of their own to act like that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:26

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hendo
100% agreed.

Insults? Why?

The person next to him isn't just a "Swansea fan" either is he? Or the person behind him? They've got their own occupations and livelihoods

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:28

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo
100% agreed.

What if he had shouted racist abuse? Would you still be making the same argument?

He shouldn't be treated any differently, but he is someone in the limelight and if gets picked out then the FA have to give him a warning, otherwise they are seen as doing nothing and are basically saying that it is ok for one of their own to act like that.

If he'd shouted racial abuse, then obviously I wouldn't be making the same argument. Because there are some barriers you do not cross. And that one is. Hand gestures certainly are not

Unfortunately, the FA are weak and spineless, which to be fair, is a fair representation of the modern society
Last edited by URZZZZ on 14 Jan 2020 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 12:28

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Insults? Why?

The person next to him isn't just a "Swansea fan" either is he? Or the person behind him? They've got their own occupations and livelihoods

You're being very dumb, you'll be called out on it.

A professional footballer should know that he is to set an example at all times, it is part of the job.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:33

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Because he isn't just a Swansea fan is he?

Insults? Why?

A professional footballer should know that he is to set an example at all times, it is part of the job.

Well, that's what I don't agree with

Like I said, a lot of people complain that footballers are too detached from the modern fan. You get one acting like a "modern fan" and they're blasted for it

Footballers can live their own lives too ya know? They can have fun in their lives. Their thought process shouldn't be "I can't do this because it may upset the snowflakes"

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 12:37

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Insults? Why?

Like I said, a lot of people complain that footballers are too detached from the modern fan. You get one acting like a "modern fan" and they're blasted for it

Footballers can live their own lives too ya know? They can have fun in their lives. Their thought process shouldn't be "I can't do this because it may upset the snowflakes"

Modern fans shouldn't make lewd gesstures, thats exactly what the FA are trying to stamp out. A Premier League footballer then seen antagonising opposition supporters on camera will then of course be pulled up for this.

He was living his life, he was at a football match amongst the supporters. Making obscene gestures isn't something that is considered fun by most and indeed it isn't legal either.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:40

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews You're being very dumb, you'll be called out on it.

Modern fans shouldn't make leud gesstures, thats exactly what the FA are trying to stamp out. A Premier League footballer then seen antagonising opposition supporters on camera will then of course be pulled up for this.

He was living his life, he was at a football match amongst the supporters. Making obscene gestures isn't something that is considered fun by most and indeed it isn't legal either.

But who does it actually offend?

You don't go to a football game, especially Cardiff vs Swansea to expect to see friendly exchanges

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 12:41

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Modern fans shouldn't make leud gesstures, thats exactly what the FA are trying to stamp out. A Premier League footballer then seen antagonising opposition supporters on camera will then of course be pulled up for this.

You don't go to a football game, especially Cardiff vs Swansea to expect to see friendly exchanges

You aren't the judge on who can and cannot be offended by things. The fact is what he did is considered an offensive gesture in the eyes of the law.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 12:43

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Modern fans shouldn't make leud gesstures, thats exactly what the FA are trying to stamp out. A Premier League footballer then seen antagonising opposition supporters on camera will then of course be pulled up for this.

You aren't the judge on who can and cannot be offended by things. The fact is what he did is considered an offensive gesture in the eyes of the law.

I know that

But they don't punish anyone else for doing it, that's the point, they're treating McBurnie differently to any other human who does the exact same thing

That's my last on this matter

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 12:47

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

I know that

But they don't punish anyone else for doing it, that's the point, they're treating McBurnie differently to any other human who does the exact same thing

That's my last on this matter

Run away because you know you are wrong......

How would you like the FA to punish football supporters for making lewd gestures? They leave that to stewards and the police. They cannot bring members of the public before their disciplinary panal and give them fines or 5 game bans!
McBurnie is a Professional footballer and therefore under their juristiction. He was reminded to set an example basically which was a punishment befitting of the crime.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Jan 2020 13:02

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Jan 2020 13:10

Anyway - despite this fun back and forth - he has just been reminded of his responsibilities by the FA and we can all move on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2020 00:05

URZZZZ
Hendo

100% agreed.

As with all employees, he has a duty to comport himself in a way that reflects well on his club.

Act a cock on social media in a forum related to your job and if they find out, expect to get some grief, especially if it attracts them negative publicity.

And with his role is a higher level of pay, privilege and public scrutiny which means he is much more likely to get caught out if acting the twat, and he also has role model responsibilities.

He's cocked up, and it's perfectly fair to call him on it. Shouldn't end his career or anything, but hopefully a lesson learnt.

He had an opportunity to act as a role model for how fans should behave and he's chosen to be a negative one. Gimp.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jan 2020 14:28

The annual Leeds collapse seems to be happening earlier than usual this time

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Jan 2020 10:50

Premier League relegation looking interesting. For ages it looked like Norwich, Watford and one other, but Pearson is doing a grand job at Vicarage Road and Norwich showing signs of life with their win at the weekend and draws with Palace and Spurs. Villa looking more effective in front of goal too.

Bournemouth look doomed, but add Brighton and West Ham to those four teams and I wouldn't want to pick three of the six just yet.

Southampton and Newcastle look like they should have enough to stay clear.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2020 11:01

Sanguine Premier League relegation looking interesting. For ages it looked like Norwich, Watford and one other, but Pearson is doing a grand job at Vicarage Road and Norwich showing signs of life with their win at the weekend and draws with Palace and Spurs. Villa looking more effective in front of goal too.

Bournemouth look doomed, but add Brighton and West Ham to those four teams and I wouldn't want to pick three of the six just yet.

Going for Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2020 11:08

Sanguine Premier League relegation looking interesting. For ages it looked like Norwich, Watford and one other, but Pearson is doing a grand job at Vicarage Road and Norwich showing signs of life with their win at the weekend and draws with Palace and Spurs. Villa looking more effective in front of goal too.

Good news for telly with the top pretty much done and dusted, just hope this year's candid8s for the drop can provide more of a spectacle for the viewers than us and QPR did in 2012

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jan 2020 11:09

Bournemouth, Brighton and West Ham going down would be absolutely superb

5540 posts