Maidenhead United

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Maidenhead United

by Reading4eva » 03 Sep 2017 23:34

What does everyone make of the rise and rise of Maidenhead United and for the first time in our history, potentially, (I believe) not being the only team in Berkshire in the football league.

Personally I'd love Maidenhead in the football league although I'm not sure they are ready for it. I can't see a rivalry of such being built as we will be so much above them even if they went up and we didn't. However on the spin side I would be preying for a cup tie against them rather than a simple sail through tie and the Carabao Cup might be just the place for that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Maidenhead United

by windermereROYAL » 04 Sep 2017 00:21

Would certainly need to improve their shitty little ground to get granted football league status.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Sep 2017 02:14

Considering they are still part time they have done an amazing job. With London Irish leaving maybe they would play there home games here if they win promotion?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Sep 2017 08:02

General Football at best surely ?

Personally I'm not interested in Maidenhead in the same way 8'm not interested in Wycombe or Oxford.

As for a ground share it looks like Irish might not be leaving and the sheer logistically craziness of having in excess of 50 games in a season on the pitch hardly merits consideration ! I suspect it would not be approved by the league anyway as it would be impossible to schedule.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2017 08:23

As already mentioned their ground isn't good enough for the FL, but then in the past it wasn't even considered good enough for the Conference! They've done an amazing job to get to where they are. Also, I thought they were going to go down the 3G route which would prohibit promotion in any case?

This isn't the appropriate place for it (that's the NL thread in General Football) but i'm contemplating going to a home game this season (which I never thought i'd say, was always only interested in going to one of their Kent away games). If they ever did go up I might have a dilemma on my hands.. got more connection to Maidenhead than I do to Reading...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2017 08:24

haven't been tracking them that closely, but Tarpey moving to Barnet is surely not going to help their cause

Their ground is miles below league standard though

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2017 08:27

Hound haven't been tracking them that closely, but Tarpey moving to Barnet is surely not going to help their cause

Their ground is miles below league standard though

Early signs are that they may not miss him as much as feared. They've picked up 4 points from their last 3 games and the only game he played in (he missed the other through injury) they lost!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2017 08:39

just checked the table, tbh I had no idea they were doing as well as they are

interesting one if they did go up - that sort of east Reading out to Slough area is one I always thought of as possible Reading FC 'catchment' area in terms of potential fanbase. If Maidenhead got into the league, could well affect that a bit.

Definite potential to become the most middle class derby in the country anyway

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Sep 2017 08:49

I'm from Maidenhead, so will immediately switch allegiances if they (we) make it to the Football League.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Sep 2017 09:11

Might've been mentioned elsewhere, but the National League have got a six team play-off system from this season http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40233762 4th play 7th and 5th play 6th, with the winners playing 2nd and 3rd in the semis.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Sep 2017 09:11

Hound just checked the table, tbh I had no idea they were doing as well as they are

interesting one if they did go up - that sort of east Reading out to Slough area is one I always thought of as possible Reading FC 'catchment' area in terms of potential fanbase. If Maidenhead got into the league, could well affect that a bit.

Definite potential to become the most middle class derby in the country anyway

What, even more middle class than Forest Green Rovers - Cheltenham Town?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Sep 2017 09:57

Well, we've lost a few fans to them over the last couple of seasons. Assume they will return once the novelty wears off / they are relegated.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 04 Sep 2017 10:10

Zammo Well, we've lost a few fans to them over the last couple of seasons. Assume they will return once the novelty wears off / they are relegated.

I think the appeal was that you could drink on the terraces. Now they've got promotion you can't. So yeah, can see the novelty wearing off quite quickly if they remain in same league.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 04 Sep 2017 14:23

Pepe the Horseman I'm from Maidenhead, so will immediately switch allegiances if they (we) make it to the Football League.

I always thought Maidenhead was the kind of place you moved to, rather than were from, if you see what I mean.

I'm probably out of date there though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Sep 2017 14:52

Green
Pepe the Horseman I'm from Maidenhead, so will immediately switch allegiances if they (we) make it to the Football League.

I always thought Maidenhead was the kind of place you moved to, rather than were from, if you see what I mean.

I'm gonna fly off the handle and suggest some people will have been born and raised in Maidenhead.

mx

by mx » 04 Sep 2017 17:45

Green

I'm from Maidenhead, and wouldn't move back there. Not sure why anyone would live there - it was dull when I lived there and looks pretty dull still.

Saw my first ever game at York Road 50 years ago, and went back there for a cup replay with Winchester City least season. It'ss good to see them doing well. I suspect that they have reached as far as they are ever going to go though.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Sep 2017 20:45

Of course you will. You little east Berkshire weasel.

double d

by double d » 04 Sep 2017 21:49

150 quid for a season ticket for the same standard of football as reading ? In

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Sep 2017 07:56

genome
Green

I'm gonna fly off the handle and suggest some people will have been born and raised in Maidenhead.

Yeah, grew up in Maidenhead and look back with fondness at my time there. Enjoy going back on the rare occasions it happens. It has changed a lot since I lived there though!

mx
I suspect that they have reached as far as they are ever going to go though.

Absolutely, I'm not sure whether they have the ambition to get into the FL anyway. Whenever Devonshire goes that will probably be the end of their success.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Sep 2017 08:37

double d 150 quid for a season ticket for the same standard of football as reading ? In