SpuROFLs

884 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: SpuROFLs

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 12:18

genome Spurs have gone from Tim Sherwood to Jose Mourinho in five years.

That's pretty impressive to be fair.

Yeah, complete backwards step.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Nov 2019 12:18

In the gilet department?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Nov 2019 12:20

paultheroyal He will learn lessons from the past.

Why would say you this when he hasn't done so in the recent jobs he's had?

Tottenham will have got value from this deal if Jose is sill there next Christmas

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Nov 2019 12:24

Jose has hired a completely different backroom team this time around. Might be a sign that he's going to try things a little differently.

Completely understand reservations over this appointment but I do have something in the back of my mind telling me that it could work out pretty well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 12:24

genome In the gilet department?

Don't be so sure.....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Nov 2019 12:41

And we went from Terry Bullivant to Tommy Burns in 2 weeks.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Nov 2019 12:49

Spurs have always been my second team (family connections as a kid), but that is now officially binned off

I detest Mourinho with a passion and he just doesn't fit with the spurs identity for me.

So fukk Spurs bascially

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 12:57

John Madejski's Wallet Spurs have always been my second team (family connections as a kid), but that is now officially binned off

I detest Mourinho with a passion and he just doesn't fit with the spurs identity for me.

So fukk Spurs bascially

What is the "Spurs identity"? Complete and utter failure? If so then you're right, he doesn't fit that.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Nov 2019 14:21

Its a massive generalisation obvs but whether you like them or not, imo Spurs have always like their football to have flair. And the stability and identity of the club has always trumped having pcunts for managers

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 14:24

Where has playing with flair got Spurs? What have they won?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Nov 2019 14:57

Old Man Andrews
John Madejski's Wallet Spurs have always been my second team (family connections as a kid), but that is now officially binned off

So fukk Spurs bascially

What is the "Spurs identity"? Complete and utter failure? If so then you're right, he doesn't fit that.

there are fans at every club who make refernce to 'the (insert club name) way'. It's completely meaningless in 99% of cases. Makes certain people feel like their club has more of an identity (and one to be envied) than it really does, and by extension makes them feel good about themselves.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2019 15:33

From Despair To Where? I don't think anyone's saying he's a bad manager, just that he has a collosal ego who thrives on creating tension and instability. It's not a blueprint for long term success. He's a deluxe Martin Allen. Comes in, shakes things up but eventually pisses everybody off. If it's a short, sharp shock you're looking for then fine.

Actually in a round about way, I kind of am saying he's a bad manager.

The only thing I'd say is he could instil a winning mentality into the club in the longer term. The pressure on Spurs' to win trophies is building each year (especially with the same crop of players) and with Mourinho, it's probably likely to happen more than under Pochettino

And you never know, four or five years in the future, once Mourinho has been sacked after pissing off everyone, the players could bring that winning mentality forward with them and they could begin to win trophies regularly

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2019 15:35

John Madejski's Wallet Its a massive generalisation obvs but whether you like them or not, imo Spurs have always like their football to have flair. And the stability and identity of the club has always trumped having pcunts for managers

:lol: :lol: Watching Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Lloris pass in triangles in each game is not flair

Tim Sherwood says hi BTW

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Nov 2019 16:29

Yeah because there will never be terrible examples in a 130 year history :|

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2019 17:01

You said identity had “always” triumphed for Spurs. Clearly it hasn’t

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Nov 2019 17:42

I don't think you can really dispute the fact that Spurs are known for trying to play some form of attractive, attacking football with more than an element of flair to it.

It doesn't always bring success of course, well, hardly ever, but it is what the fans like to see and has been since the Bill Nicholson days hasn't it?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Nov 2019 17:44

URZZZZ You said identity had “always” triumphed for Spurs. Clearly it hasn’t

read it again

trumped

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2019 17:49

stealthpapes
URZZZZ You said identity had “always” triumphed for Spurs. Clearly it hasn’t

read it again

trumped

I’m blind...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2019 17:52

Hoop Blah I don't think you can really dispute the fact that Spurs are known for trying to play some form of attractive, attacking football with more than an element of flair to it.

It doesn't always bring success of course, well, hardly ever, but it is what the fans like to see and has been since the Bill Nicholson days hasn't it?

Fans want to see trophies don’t they?

Spurs did play decent football up until a couple of years ago when they had Dembele and an inform Wanyama as the two holding midfielders. Ever since Wanyama has gone out of form and something happened to Dembele, there’s been no link between the defence and attack so they’ve just ended up passing around the back four. Apart from a decent run November - February time last season, they haven’t really looked convincing for a while

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Nov 2019 18:11

URZZZZ
Hoop Blah I don't think you can really dispute the fact that Spurs are known for trying to play some form of attractive, attacking football with more than an element of flair to it.

Fans want to see trophies don’t they?

Spurs did play decent football up until a couple of years ago when they had Dembele and an inform Wanyama as the two holding midfielders. Ever since Wanyama has gone out of form and something happened to Dembele, there’s been no link between the defence and attack so they’ve just ended up passing around the back four. Apart from a decent run November - February time last season, they haven’t really looked convincing for a while

I'd say they were playing decent football more recently than that, but that's kind of irrelevant to either their identity or desired style. You could even use that to support the case for it as it'll be one of the reasons why they've ended up sacking him.

Do fans want trophies? Yeah, of course they do, but Spurs fans are happy enough when they're watching their team play attractive football but not winning them, hence Poch being so well thought of over the last 5 years despite the lack of silverwear.

884 posts