Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

432 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

by stealthpapes » 02 Jun 2019 12:36

Divock Origi, pointless answer in the making.

The early goal all but killed it, along with one of the more anaemic final performances of modern times.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jun 2019 13:46

Was it Jermaine Jenas who pointed out that Spurs have lost 20 matches this season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2019 13:59

I was really pleasantly surprised by how impartial McManaman and Jenas were. Great co-commentary balance.

Made up for by that knob jockey Hoddle claiming there shouldn't have been a penalty to everyone's consternation.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2019 14:28

I’m no Spurs fan but I agree with him. (That said, I didn’t hear what he specifically said and yes, he is a bit of an irritating knob.)

I appreciate the whole arm in unnatural position thing and that the laws of the game say.... etc. etc., but the penalty of a penalty being awarded after an accident is just unfair. Such an incident should not result in an almost inevitable goal. The balance is wrong.

I know it will sound daft to those with zero imagination but for those sort of incidents a penalty kick could be awarded taken from the edge of the D. Or something else. Just not from the 12 yard spot.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 Jun 2019 14:39

Royal Rother I’m no Spurs fan but I agree with him. (That said, I didn’t hear what he specifically said and yes, he is a bit of an irritating knob.)

I appreciate the whole arm in unnatural position thing and that the laws of the game say.... etc. etc., but the penalty of a penalty being awarded after an accident is just unfair. Such an incident should not result in an almost inevitable goal. The balance is wrong.

I know it will sound daft to those with zero imagination but for those sort of incidents a penalty kick could be awarded taken from the edge of the D. Or something else. Just not from the 12 yard spot.

An alternative would be an accidental handball in the box is an indirect free kick.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Jun 2019 16:03

genome They will though, they’ve got everything in place now - great stadium, facilities, manager, core of a great squad that just needs 2 or 3 more top players and some more depth.

They just need to keep Poch, look at the difference between them now and when he took over. Quite similar to Klopp and Liverpool, just a couple of years behind in the same kind of process.

Spurs are definitely getting there, if you don’t see that you’re either blind or an Arsenal fan.

Every team thinks they need "just 2 or 3 more top players".
How many of that Spurs team would get into Liverpool's side?
Eriksen probably and possibly Alderweireld (neither of whom might not be there next season) but nobody else and who are these top players that they will get that are queuing up to sign for Spurs.?

A shiny new stadium doesn't bring success automatically-ask Arsenal.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jun 2019 16:40

Spurs are very much a one man team with very little creativity for me. Solid but unspectacular. I’d sell Eriksen, and think they need a second forward in the Mane, Martial mode. Think Moura does that role a bit but is he high enough quality? No top forward will go there all the time Kane is “the man”

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Jun 2019 16:50

Royal Rother I’m no Spurs fan but I agree with him. (That said, I didn’t hear what he specifically said and yes, he is a bit of an irritating knob.)

The problem is that it's one thing to claim that sort of incident shouldn't be a penalty, in terms of the rules needing to change to not punish such accidents, and it's another entirely to claim the penalty should have been awarded, and that it was an incorrect decision.

It's a problem time and time again with "expert" pundits, who can't grasp that referees have to give judgements based on what the rules actually are, not what the pundits would like them to be.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jun 2019 16:53

The handball thing, I'd expect every Spurs fan to argue it wasn't a penalty (it went to VAR and they very quickly decided it was, evidently a cut and dried decision, about 70 seconds from the offence being committed to the ball hitting the back of the net) but my gripe with Hoddle was his blind insistance that Spurs were by far the better team and deserved to win, an insistance based on them having 67% possession and Allison having to make a couple of saves late on as Spurs chased the game.

Yes the penalty changed the game but I felt Liverpool probably had a couple more gears if needed whereas Spurs seemed utterly bereft of ideas.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Jun 2019 17:10

From Despair To Where? Was it Jermaine Jenas who pointed out that Spurs have lost 20 matches this season?

He also suggested something about the crosses Spurs should aim for which is the exact opposite of the expected goals value i.e. wrong

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jun 2019 20:06

Victor Meldrew How many of that Spurs team would get into Liverpool's side?
Eriksen probably and possibly Alderweireld (neither of whom might not be there next season) but nobody else

:lol: :lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jun 2019 20:15

Sutekh Klopp is an absolute credit to football. He is very positive, happy and smiling and his teams play football the way it should be played. He also does not lose sight of the fact that it is just a game and that people are more important. Long may he stay at Liverpool and spread that philosophy through the English game. Now he just has to win the league title for them....

Obviously I despise Liverpool as much as any right-thinking member of society - a truly unbearable club and set of fans - but I have to admit that Klopp is *not an arsehole*. He's built a cracking team there and he's really good for the Premier League.

I'd also say that the Liverpool team itself is actually pretty likeable, don't begrudge any of them their success. The days when they had prize pcunts like Carragher and Gerrard playing for them seem long ago now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jun 2019 20:22

Wow, we can all breathe in now....Mags has cast his opinion

Indeed, well done Liverpool

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jun 2019 21:33

Maguire He's built a cracking team there and he's really good for the Premier League.

Was thinking something similar last night whilst watching, Alexander-Arnold is a very very good footballer and it is pleasing to see from an England POV.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Jun 2019 21:36

Maguire
Sutekh Klopp is an absolute credit to football. He is very positive, happy and smiling and his teams play football the way it should be played. He also does not lose sight of the fact that it is just a game and that people are more important. Long may he stay at Liverpool and spread that philosophy through the English game. Now he just has to win the league title for them....

Obviously I despise Liverpool as much as any right-thinking member of society - a truly unbearable club and set of fans - but I have to admit that Klopp is *not an arsehole*. He's built a cracking team there and he's really good for the Premier League.

I'd also say that the Liverpool team itself is actually pretty likeable, don't begrudge any of them their success. The days when they had prize pcunts like Carragher and Gerrard playing for them seem long ago now.

^^^ yeah agree with all of that

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jun 2019 21:57

Maguire I'd also say that the Liverpool team itself is actually pretty likeable, don't begrudge any of them their success. The days when they had prize pcunts like Carragher and Gerrard playing for them seem long ago now.

I think that comes from the manager. It also helps when your captain, senior player and star player are also similar in personality. It sets the tone for the whole squad and I would imiagine is a recruitment criteria.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2019 22:30

Hoddle argued that because it hit his chest first it couldn't be handball.

As with Hoddle, what you want the laws to be is one thing. What they are is another. That's getting given 10 times out of 10.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jun 2019 23:22

From Despair To Where?
Maguire I'd also say that the Liverpool team itself is actually pretty likeable, don't begrudge any of them their success. The days when they had prize pcunts like Carragher and Gerrard playing for them seem long ago now.

I think that comes from the manager. It also helps when your captain, senior player and star player are also similar in personality. It sets the tone for the whole squad and I would imiagine is a recruitment criteria.

Yes would imagine that's true

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Jun 2019 13:29

Maguire
Victor Meldrew How many of that Spurs team would get into Liverpool's side?
Eriksen probably and possibly Alderweireld (neither of whom might not be there next season) but nobody else

:lol: :lol:

yep. Lloris for a start. World cup winning captain (IIRC).

Henderson is terrible. Alli is better than Firminho. Sissouko would definitely get in there.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jun 2019 13:36

Lloris is a damn decent goalie, but he's not as good as Allison

Delle Ali is massively overrated, I'm not even convinced he was better than a massively out of form Firmino on Saturday

I can only imagine you included Sissoko for the lulz as you couldn't manage a rule of 3

432 posts