More rule fiddling

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

More rule fiddling

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2019 17:46

Seems the powers that be are hoping to resolve handball "incidents" next season by defining anything where an arm is outside of a player's "normal silhouette" as handball.

In addition there's talk of when substitutions are made that the player being substituted must leave the filed of play by the nearest touchline to try and cut down the amount of time wasting by slow walks across th epitch.

Not sure how that one would work if you're Nelson Oliveira at Ipswich and you get subbed and find you have to walk around the touchline in front of a few home fans trying to say hello to you.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: More rule fiddling

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Mar 2019 08:58

Sutekh In addition there's talk of when substitutions are made that the player being substituted must leave the filed of play by the nearest touchline to try and cut down the amount of time wasting by slow walks across the pitch

Something I have said for ages should be brought in. I have wondered in the past why players don't do this anyway, assuming the laws don't allow it.

You need a late goal and are offering wave after wave of attack on the opposition. Your number goes up on the board but you are on the far side of the pitch. Rather than walk all the way across why not just step off the side of the pitch that you are on, take your top off and the lino can flag that you are now off the field of play. game gets going quickly.

obv there are some situations where that doesn't work or just isn't sensible but the option should be there when it is wanted

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 05 Mar 2019 09:15

Winston Biscuit
Sutekh In addition there's talk of when substitutions are made that the player being substituted must leave the filed of play by the nearest touchline to try and cut down the amount of time wasting by slow walks across the pitch

Something I have said for ages should be brought in. I have wondered in the past why players don't do this anyway, assuming the laws don't allow it.

They can and do, do it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Mar 2019 09:18

LWJ
Winston Biscuit

They can and do, do it.

:? never seen it (aside from Sunday league etc)

Can you give me an example I could look up?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 05 Mar 2019 10:05

Winston Biscuit
LWJ
Winston Biscuit

They can and do, do it.

Off the top of my head, no.

Generic example if a player is injured and treated on one side of the pitch/leaves via stretcher they don't have to do it at the half way line. The player coming on always has to go on from the halfway though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Mar 2019 10:08

LWJ
Winston Biscuit
LWJ They can and do, do it.

Generic example if a player is injured and treated on one side of the pitch/leaves via stretcher they don't have to do it at the half way line. The player coming on always has to go on from the halfway though.

yeah fair point with injuries where someone is stretchered off (matey who broke his arm against us a couple of years back and walked up through the fans and out via the concourse) but that is obv not what we are talking about here, we are talking the board goes up, your number is on it so you just step off the pitch closest to you and that is it, you are off, new player runs on from the bench area.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 05 Mar 2019 10:13

Winston Biscuit
LWJ
Winston Biscuit

yeah fair point with injuries where someone is stretchered off (matey who broke his arm against us a couple of years back and walked up through the fans and out via the concourse) but that is obv not what we are talking about here, we are talking the board goes up, your number is on it so you just step off the pitch closest to you and that is it, you are off, new player runs on from the bench area.

Definitely has happened in games i've watched I just can't think of a specific example.

It's not against the laws you just have to leave the field of play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2019 10:15

Sutekh In addition there's talk of when substitutions are made that the player being substituted must leave the filed of play by the nearest touchline to try and cut down the amount of time wasting by slow walks across th epitch.

I endorse this one.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2019 10:19

genome
Sutekh In addition there's talk of when substitutions are made that the player being substituted must leave the filed of play by the nearest touchline to try and cut down the amount of time wasting by slow walks across th epitch.

I endorse this one.

Not saying I necessarily have an issue with it but it will end up being argued this could be inflamatory in some cases. A Liverpool player walking around the pitch next to the supporters at Old Trafford could stir up the crowd or have things chucked at them etc. The whole idea of the subs going off where they go now is that it is a controlled, neutral area.

I have always been in favour of the clock stopping during substitutions.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 05 Mar 2019 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Duffy

by Duffy » 05 Mar 2019 10:30

Old Man Andrews
genome

I endorse this one.

Not saying I necessarily have an issue with it but it will end up being argued this could be infamatory in some cases. A Liverpool player walking around the pitch next to the supporters at Old Trafford could stir up the crowd or have things chucked at them etc. The whole idea of the subs going off where they go now is that it is a controlled, neutral area.

I have always been in favour of the clock stopping during substitutions.

I'm all for it. If someone gets so wound up about a player walking in front of them and does something silly, like throw something, then at least it'll out moronic fans and hopefully get them a lifetime ban.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Mar 2019 10:40

Old Man Andrews
genome

I endorse this one.

Not saying I necessarily have an issue with it but it will end up being argued this could be infamatory in some cases. A Liverpool player walking around the pitch next to the supporters at Old Trafford could stir up the crowd or have things chucked at them etc.

That would be a situation where it might not be suitable to use it, but there would be others where it is suitable

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2019 11:21

Sutekh Seems the powers that be are hoping to resolve handball "incidents" next season by defining anything where an arm is outside of a player's "normal silhouette" as handball.

Be interesting to see how this is officiated in practice. Think we could see a spate of players trying to hit a defenders arm if they feel they have no other option available or if it offers a distinct advantage.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Mar 2019 11:35

The handball thing feels like pointless fiddling - I don't see the current rules as particularly contentious and there can't be more than a small handful of such decisions each season that cause any debate.

Not sure what's wrong with 'an unnatural position.' It works.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Mar 2019 12:41

The way to solve the substitute problem is for the ref to add on the appropriate time, Christ it`s not rocket science is it? also do away with injury time subs, fcuking hate it when they do that.

Doing away with rebounds from pens as well I hear,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2019 12:47

Sanguine The handball thing feels like pointless fiddling - I don't see the current rules as particularly contentious and there can't be more than a small handful of such decisions each season that cause any debate.

Not sure what's wrong with 'an unnatural position.' It works.

The whole natural silouette is bollocks. Itll be with arms straight at side which isnt natural at all.

I could buy an indirect fk outside the box for every incident of hand/arm - ball contact, with discretion to award direct fks or penalties.

Or some ruling based on advantage gained.

The current rule would be fine if most footballers, fans and referees could agree how it should be interpreted, but they cant.

It is easier to just say any contact is an issue and suck it up.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Mar 2019 12:49

windermereROYAL The way to solve the substitute problem is for the ref to add on the appropriate time, Christ it`s not rocket science is it? also do away with injury time subs, fcuking hate it when they do that.

^^ The ball is in play if it rebounds, how can that be banned? :?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 05 Mar 2019 13:21

Didn't the rule used to be that if it hit your hand/arm it was handball whether it was deliberate or not? The whole deliberate/unnatural position is a recentish thing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2019 14:45

I just like the way the authorities try and make everything in the game black and white when it clearly can't be and never will be.

It always will be subjective in a lot of instances especially with VAR now able to provide 20 different conflicting views and angles.

Wasn't it all so much simpler just to empower referees to use common sense (just as inconsistent and inconclusive) and do away with all the additional expense of technology and fiddling about with the laws?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2019 16:12

windermereROYAL The way to solve the substitute problem is for the ref to add on the appropriate time, Christ it`s not rocket science is it? also do away with injury time subs, fcuking hate it when they do that.

What about if a player is injured or the 'keeper gets sent off and you need to sub one on?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Mar 2019 16:54

Hendo

What about if a player is injured or the 'keeper gets sent off and you need to sub one on?

Hard luck, it rarely happens, mostly its just to run the clock down.