Gay Championship player about to go public....

146 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gay Championship player about to go public....

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:07

genome Yes they do, Vic. That's why players are afraid to come out.

Some of you guys on here are so out of touch.
In 2019 this is a non-issue as we have seen in other sports.
It annoys me so much that people/the media thinks that football fans (a cross section of society) will react differently to those of other sports .
In a similar minor way it also annoys me that we football fans (unlike Rugby fans) just can't be trusted to take a drink to our seats at matches.

Football fans (apart from Cardiff and Leeds of course) are not all hooligans and are no more likely to react to a gay player who has come out than they now (don't) react in an adverse way to players of non-white race.

It is a non-issue.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2019 11:11

Victor Meldrew

It annoys me so much that people/the media thinks that football fans (a cross section of society) will react differently to those of other sports .
In a similar minor way it also annoys me that we football fans (unlike Rugby fans) just can't be trusted to take a drink to our seats at matches.

Football fans (apart from Cardiff and Leeds of course) are not all hooligans and are no more likely to react to a gay player who has come out than they now (don't) react in an adverse way to players of non-white race.

It is a non-issue.

I think it's down to gay people and their own life experiences to decide whether it is a non-issue, not you.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Jul 2019 11:12

What do 'people', or the media have to do with it? It is gay players who don't feel able to come out.
Are gay players, who are living these experiences through their whole life, coming out to their families or friends, simply wrong?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:15

Sanguine What do 'people', or the media have to do with it? It is gay players who don't feel able to come out.
Are gay players, who are living these experiences through their whole life, coming out to their families or friends, simply wrong?

The media promotes the idea that football fans will act adversely and is guilty of scaremongering.
I happen to believe that football fans are much better than the media so often suggests.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 11:17

Victor Meldrew
Sanguine What do 'people', or the media have to do with it? It is gay players who don't feel able to come out.

The media promotes the idea that football fans will act adversely and is guilty of scaremongering.
I happen to believe that football fans are much better than the media so often suggests.

Despite the fact the player in question hasn't felt able to go through with it due to the abuse he was receiving? Ok then Vic......

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:19

genome
Victor Meldrew

It is a non-issue.

I think it's down to gay people and their own life experiences to decide whether it is a non-issue, not you.

It is a non-issue with we fans because we just don't care-let them come out or not come out as earlier (less excited) posters have said, we are not concerned about the personal habits and traits of our players as we just want them to be the best that they can on the pitch for us.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:20

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

Despite the fact the player in question hasn't felt able to go through with it due to the abuse he was receiving? Ok then Vic......

So, who was abusing this player and isn't it against the law?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 11:24

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

Yes it is but that won't stop people abusing gay players. There are a small portion of football supporters who are up there with some of the worst people in the world, thick unintelligent knuckle draggers who will say or do anyhting on social media or at a game to get attention. As straight men we are not entitled to say or judge how a gay footballer takes this sort of abuse or question why they would fear coming out publically.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2019 11:30

Victor Meldrew

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:31

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews Despite the fact the player in question hasn't felt able to go through with it due to the abuse he was receiving? Ok then Vic......

Yes it is but that won't stop people abusing gay players. There are a small portion of football supporters who are up there with some of the worst people in the world, thick unintelligent knuckle draggers who will say or do anyhting on social media or at a game to get attention. As straight men we are not entitled to say or judge how a gay footballer takes this sort of abuse or question why they would fear coming out publically.

I say again, who is abusing this or any other gay player?
I just won't accept that gay players will have a problem with fans in this country if it is known that they are gay-I have more faith in those fans than some on here or the headline writers of the tabloids.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2019 11:32

Victor Meldrew
genome
Victor Meldrew

It is a non-issue.

It is a non-issue with we fans because we just don't care-let them come out or not come out as earlier (less excited) posters have said, we are not concerned about the personal habits and traits of our players as we just want them to be the best that they can on the pitch for us.

I get that. And for a good chunk of people that will be the case, but I think that's wishful thinking. There are still plenty of bigoted homophobes out there that will use the football terraces as an excuse to display their bigotry. Just look at some of the cases of racism from the terraces recently, and even in the tabloids.

If a gay player was comfortable with coming out, then they would do it. The fact they are still too apprehensive shows that if is definitely not a non-issue.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Jul 2019 11:33

Victor Meldrew no more likely to react to a gay player who has come out than they now (don't) react in an adverse way to players of non-white race.

Um, not sure how you've missed the fact that black players do still get racially abused by fans.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49089209

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 11:33

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

I just won't accept that gay players will have a problem with fans in this country if it is known that they are gay-I have more faith in those fans than some on here or the headline writers of the tabloids.

But the one gay player who was about to come out publically hasn't because of the abuse he was already receiving whilst he is anonymous. I am honestly not sure you are thinking this through properly.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:37

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

But the one gay player who was about to come out publically hasn't because of the abuse he was already receiving whilst he is anonymous. I am honestly not sure you are thinking this through properly.

I don't get how he comes to be abused (in whatever form that may take) when he is supposedly a closet gay.
He must have already come some way out?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2019 11:38

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

I don't get how he comes to be abused (in whatever form that may take) when he is supposedly a closet gay.

He was already receiving abuse on his anonymous social media account.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2019 11:46

Victor Meldrew
Check your facts before posting.

Ironic...

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:50

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews But the one gay player who was about to come out publically hasn't because of the abuse he was already receiving whilst he is anonymous. I am honestly not sure you are thinking this through properly.

He was already receiving abuse on his anonymous social media account.

I think of football fans as being the millions in the stadia where so little happens in England-the rarity (such as the one guy at Chelsea re-Sterling) makes it a story.
If he is being trolled on social media then it is surely not the football issue that people are making it out to be.
Maybe if he comes out and says about the abuse on social media football fans can then show that they don't have a problem with his sexuality and can help the guy.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:51

Hendo
Victor Meldrew
Check your facts before posting.

Ironic...

Wrong area but point taken.
Thank you for taking the trouble to post when I thought you would be watching Eoin Morgan's team playing against England.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jul 2019 11:52

spec-f*cking-tacular thread guys!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jul 2019 11:59

Platypuss
Victor Meldrew

A comment made slightly tongue-in-cheek at a time when I have been accused of most things apart from (so far) being sexist by people who just love to categorise others and are often afraid to open their minds to consider what might not be the populist view.
Remember, we are living in times when a clown (or a bigger clown than the rest) can achieve high office because of shouting populist views both here and in USA.

I am thankful that Hob Nob is an avenue for expressing views that might be strongly held but not necessarily mainstream and at the same time are well within the law.

146 posts