BBC clickbaiting women's football....

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BBC clickbaiting women's football....

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Oct 2019 19:30

Is it just me getting annoyed with this? Every time I check my phone or browser for sport news over here I'll see a headline such as " Wales win as England take on Portugal" or " Arsenal hammer Everton" " Reading Striker linked with Chelsea",etc and you click on it thinking you must have missed some crucial news, or not been paying attention to the games. They absolutely no not mark it as women's football until you already click the page. What is their motivation to keep baiting people in to clicking on these links only to piss us off? I will start using other sources if they don't cut this crap out, no one cares about the women's game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BBC clickbaiting women's football....

by Hendo » 08 Oct 2019 20:05

FiNeRaIn Is it just me getting annoyed with this? Every time I check my phone or browser for sport news over here I'll see a headline such as " Wales win as England take on Portugal" or " Arsenal hammer Everton" " Reading Striker linked with Chelsea",etc and you click on it thinking you must have missed some crucial news, or not been paying attention to the games. They absolutely no not mark it as women's football until you already click the page. What is their motivation to keep baiting people in to clicking on these links only to piss us off? I will start using other sources if they don't cut this crap out, no one cares about the women's game.

That just simply isn’t true.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Oct 2019 21:38

You are right, maybe 1% of the population that check the BBC sports news actually care.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 21:39

It's not that hard to work out it's women's football. The pictures with the article headlines can be a bit of a giveaway.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Oct 2019 21:57

Not on the cell phones in a lot of cases. Completely irritating. Do you both think these aren't cleverly worded headlines to bait people into clicks?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Oct 2019 22:26

I'm with FineRain on this one.

Total clickbait on Gurdian website too and I keep getting lulled into clicking stories.

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 09 Oct 2019 01:25

The BBC are just The Guardian in disguise anyway so that probably explains why they are both doing it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Oct 2019 11:57

Yellowcoat2 The BBC are just The Guardian in disguise anyway so that probably explains why they are both doing it.

Have we unearthed another Tory (standard mocking of BBC being pro-left, totally unfounded of course) amongst our contributors?
Sanguine has been fighting a losing battle for ages since Schards left, and become much more Liberal in his views.
For balance it is good to have another one.

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 09 Oct 2019 13:17

Not sure about unfounded as from my viewpoint both organisations often appear to be in collusion over news stories.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Oct 2019 15:16

FiNeRaIn Is it just me getting annoyed with this? Every time I check my phone or browser for sport news over here I'll see a headline such as " Wales win as England take on Portugal" or " Arsenal hammer Everton" " Reading Striker linked with Chelsea",etc and you click on it thinking you must have missed some crucial news, or not been paying attention to the games. They absolutely no not mark it as women's football until you already click the page. What is their motivation to keep baiting people in to clicking on these links only to piss us off? I will start using other sources if they don't cut this crap out, no one cares about the women's game.

Probably not just you, but I'd suggest more people aren't bothered about it than are. You'll be relieved that as far as I know it's only these 'footballers' who are allowed out of the kitchen.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Oct 2019 18:07

Sanguine You'll be relieved that as far as I know it's only these 'footballers' who are allowed out of the kitchen.

There is always someone that create's an extreme of an argument that isn't there. Best wishes to the females, I wish them all the success in the world and don't share that view. That said, you know the standard of it is far, far worse than many non-league teams, possibly even worse than that. There is a reason people like you and other's here are supporting Reading FC and not Reading Town, you want to watch a high standard. What if Get Reading started bating you in by headlining Reading Town news above Reading FC? I don't believe you would not find it irritating. I care about the standard and where the actual interest is, not the gender.

They deliberately don't mark the headline, they do have the occasional picture, but may time's its deliberately worded to trick you into clicking because it is not obvious. " England Striker ruled out with broken Ankle", no picture of anyone, just an England shirt so you can't tell, then it's some random female striker when you think it's Harry Kane. It's purposely deceptive and they know full well that people clicking on this are doing so because they think it's the male England team.

Do they seriously think these tactics will generate more interest in the women's game?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 18:19

FiNeRaIn
Sanguine You'll be relieved that as far as I know it's only these 'footballers' who are allowed out of the kitchen.

There is always someone that create's an extreme of an argument that isn't there. Best wishes to the females, I wish them all the success in the world and don't share that view. That said, you know the standard of it is far, far worse than many non-league teams, possibly even worse than that. There is a reason people like you and other's here are supporting Reading FC and not Reading Town, you want to watch a high standard. What if Get Reading started bating you in by headlining Reading Town news above Reading FC? I don't believe you would not find it irritating. I care about the standard and where the actual interest is, not the gender.

They deliberately don't mark the headline, they do have the occasional picture, but may time's its deliberately worded to trick you into clicking because it is not obvious. " England Striker ruled out with broken Ankle", no picture of anyone, just an England shirt so you can't tell, then it's some random female striker when you think it's Harry Kane. It's purposely deceptive and they know full well that people clicking on this are doing so because they think it's the male England team.

Do they seriously think these tactics will generate more interest in the women's game?

I’m 100% with you on this

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 18:59

<website in clickbait shock>.

Not enough :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: in the world for this one.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Oct 2019 19:06

From Despair To Where? <website in clickbait shock>.

Not enough :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: in the world for this one.

The BBC should not be employing the same tactics as fvcking Buzzfeed or Ladbible, it is a public service broadcaster that is nearly 100 years old, with an annual revenue of nearly 5 billion. So there are plenty of :shock: :shock: from me.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 19:11

The BBC is a publicy owned broadcaster with a public service remit written into it's charter to cover non mainstream subject matter. If you don't like it, subscribe to IfcukingTV instead and see how much inconsequential shit you're bombarded with.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Oct 2019 19:34

From Despair To Where? The BBC is a publicy owned broadcaster with a public service remit written into it's charter to cover non mainstream subject matter. If you don't like it, subscribe to IfcukingTV instead and see how much inconsequential shit you're bombarded with.

You are missing the point. I don't have a problem with them covering womens football, I have a problem with them disguising it as mens to lure people in with deceptive tactics. They should be held to a higher standard than the ladbible and ITV.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Oct 2019 19:39

but most folk seem to have a media awareness of when the men are playing and/or when the women are playing....and who the players are.

Just check-out the fixture lists each day on virtually any sport-based web site and ignore the detritus that comes off the back of it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Oct 2019 19:49

AthleticoSpizz but most folk seem to have a media awareness of when the men are playing and/or when the women are playing....and who the players are.

No doubt, but when they don't tell you who the player is before you click the article, and the only picture is of an England shirt, then its impossible.

When it comes to games, absolutely agree in most cases, but annoying they can't just say " England Women take on such and such"

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Oct 2019 19:51

Fair does

I seem to survive in the old-fashioned world of radio, internet and newspapers tbf

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 22:17

FiNeRaIn
From Despair To Where? The BBC is a publicy owned broadcaster with a public service remit written into it's charter to cover non mainstream subject matter. If you don't like it, subscribe to IfcukingTV instead and see how much inconsequential shit you're bombarded with.

You are missing the point. I don't have a problem with them covering womens football, I have a problem with them disguising it as mens to lure people in with deceptive tactics. They should be held to a higher standard than the ladbible and ITV.

Well, you're talking about it on third party website so it's clearly worked.

Why should the BBC be held to higher standards than other broadcasters with it's online output? It's been put under increasing pressure to be "competative" to gain market share and if certain politicians had their way, it would be privatised. As an organisation, it's being pulled between the two pillars of public service broadcasting and competing with their commercials and yet it's still one of the most reliable sources and one of the most respected broadcasters in the world.

So it's pushing women's sport in general across it's formats? About time. Seriously, if you're that bothered, follow Sky Sports. They don't have the broadcasting rights so in their eyes, it doesn't exist.