2019/20 Season - How will it end?

226 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: 2019/20 Season - How will it end?

by Stranded » 30 May 2020 07:53

Sutekh Rumour currently is that the Championship will resume on Saturday 20th June.

It’ll get interesting on 1st July when suddenly some players are no longer under contract though I suspect the authorities/players themselves may either allow contracts to be extended to the end of the season or just re-signed on a one month contract.

Would also presume the PL and FL will want clubs go play twice a week so as to have a shot at starting season 20/21 comfortably by mid September. Also wondering if any games that become obviously “dead rubbers” in the final 2/3 weeks might not be played at all.

I could be wrong but I am sure that I read there is a 30 day run off to most contracts in football. Essentially they get a final months pay at the end if their deal so as long as the league is done in July, clubs should not lose players nor sign new contracts.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 May 2020 01:20

Stranded
Sutekh Rumour currently is that the Championship will resume on Saturday 20th June.

It’ll get interesting on 1st July when suddenly some players are no longer under contract though I suspect the authorities/players themselves may either allow contracts to be extended to the end of the season or just re-signed on a one month contract.

Would also presume the PL and FL will want clubs go play twice a week so as to have a shot at starting season 20/21 comfortably by mid September. Also wondering if any games that become obviously “dead rubbers” in the final 2/3 weeks might not be played at all.

I could be wrong but I am sure that I read there is a 30 day run off to most contracts in football. Essentially they get a final months pay at the end if their deal so as long as the league is done in July, clubs should not lose players nor sign new contracts.

Not sure if there’s a link between the two, but read somewhere that the EFL Chairman said the season has to be finished by 31 July but I can’t remember the reason why, so you may be right there

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 Jun 2020 13:11

Three Charlton players aren't going to play when the season resumes, including Lyle Taylor. His contract is up at the end of the season. And QPR are 'vehemently opposed' to the restart date of 20 June.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Jun 2020 13:16

Whore Jackie Three Charlton players aren't going to play when the season resumes, including Lyle Taylor. His contract is up at the end of the season. And QPR are 'vehemently opposed' to the restart date of 20 June.

Thats them down then.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2020 13:54

Whore Jackie Three Charlton players aren't going to play when the season resumes, including Lyle Taylor. His contract is up at the end of the season. And QPR are 'vehemently opposed' to the restart date of 20 June.

Presume there is going to be some agreement with players out of contract that their agreement will be extended on existing terms for an extra month. Of course if an individual player doesn’t agree then fine but they won’t be able to sign for anyone else as I presume the transfer window isn’t open until the current season completes or is abandoned altogether.

Don’t get the whingeing. If it’s safe for the PL to play then the same applies to the Championship so long as players have resumed training (albeit in small groups) in good time which I though the FL had requested of its member clubs a week or two ago.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Jun 2020 16:14

For Lyle Taylor at Charlton specifically, he is in line for a move this summer (and all the financial gains that brings) - and has said he doesn't want to risk getting injured.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2020 20:45

Sanguine For Lyle Taylor at Charlton specifically, he is in line for a move this summer (and all the financial gains that brings) - and has said he doesn't want to risk getting injured.

But he’s still under contract at his current club, and considering the league is projected to start on the 20th June (I.e still within the limits of his contract) he simply should’ve be allowed to do that

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Jun 2020 22:41

URZZZZ
Sanguine For Lyle Taylor at Charlton specifically, he is in line for a move this summer (and all the financial gains that brings) - and has said he doesn't want to risk getting injured.

But he’s still under contract at his current club, and considering the league is projected to start on the 20th June (I.e still within the limits of his contract) he simply should’ve be allowed to do that

So in theory the club could sue him for the financial loss directly attributable his failure to play in two games. Or not, because it would be pointless. Equally, in this situation, as oppose to others outside of a pandemic or similar, Taylor suffers no reputational damage in refusing to play. It's actually a no-brainer for a player in his position.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jun 2020 08:12

I think you suffer no reputational damage if you refuse to play because you think the risk of getting the Covids is too high. If you say "I'm not going to play because I might get injured and then I might not get paid bags of cash" it's not quite the same look.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jun 2020 08:55

Silver Fox I think you suffer no reputational damage if you refuse to play because you think the risk of getting the Covids is too high. If you say "I'm not going to play because I might get injured and then I might not get paid bags of cash" it's not quite the same look.

This ^

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jun 2020 10:26

We'll see, won't we. I reckon Lyle Taylor will get his move, and that refusing to play for a week to secure that move to a club that wants him won't do him any harm.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2020 13:53

Amazon announce that all the games they are due to show will be free to air making 33 games free to watch now in the UK.

BBC's first game will be Bournemouth v Palace on the evening of Saturday 20th June.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jun 2020 14:24

Stranded Amazon announce that all the games they are due to show will be free to air making 33 games free to watch now in the UK.

BBC's first game will be Bournemouth v Palace on the evening of Saturday 20th June.

Amazon will show 4 PL games free to air
BBC will also show 4 games
SKY will show 25 of its 64 games free on their Pick channel

Is that all remaining PL fixtures covered or are we still waiting to hear from BT?

No clue currently what’s happening with the Championship (or the other leagues if they recommence).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jun 2020 14:36

Doing the math there I think there are 20 games left, which must be BT's

As BT are taxpayer funded I'm sure they'll do the decent thing and make several of those free to air

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Jun 2020 23:13

can we really count on footballers to not get up to stuff they shouldn't and actually see this through

a couple of idiots could really fook this up

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2020 08:43

Meeting on Tuesday to decide the fate of L1 and promotion/relegation issues in L2.

Idea gaining support at the moment is that the tables are calculated on PPG but then a statistical test is applied to take into account that the PPG can significantly change over the final 9 games.

If any team is outside of the probability spread i.e. they go up or get relegated otherwise the following happens: no relegation and a play-off competition for those clubs who could have still made it.

In L2 Stevenage would be safe and there would be a 9 team play-off for 4 promotion spots. In L1 Coventry would be promoted and 8 sides would play-off for 2 spots. Only the bottom 2 would drop.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Jun 2020 09:10

Silver Fox Doing the math there I think there are 20 games left, which must be BT's

As BT are taxpayer funded I'm sure they'll do the decent thing and make several of those free to air

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I resubscribed to BT Sport for the German football thru Sky Q. BT were charging me £36.99 a month prior to lockdown. You can now get the same package for £25 via Sky. No brainer. And BT is now on multi-screen in the house, whilst BT wanted extra for that too :roll: To be fair, I do enjoy BT's foreign football league / Champions League / Europa output so will always be a customer, just pleased I've got it cheaper.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jun 2020 14:16

Stranded Meeting on Tuesday to decide the fate of L1 and promotion/relegation issues in L2.

Idea gaining support at the moment is that the tables are calculated on PPG but then a statistical test is applied to take into account that the PPG can significantly change over the final 9 games.

If any team is outside of the probability spread i.e. they go up or get relegated otherwise the following happens: no relegation and a play-off competition for those clubs who could have still made it.

In L2 Stevenage would be safe and there would be a 9 team play-off for 4 promotion spots. In L1 Coventry would be promoted and 8 sides would play-off for 2 spots. Only the bottom 2 would drop.

Currently the Championship is slated to restart on 20th June while League 2 has voted to finish the season. League 1 is split and can’t decide so presumably it’s not just those at the bottom that want to curtail operations.

According to the EP (link below) there are plans to vote on 5 remaining issues

1. Does relegation happen?

I say that either all promotion and relegation happens or all promotion and relegation is scrapped. You can’t really have no relegation while promotion still occurs as season 20/21 is already going to be a tight squeeze fixture wise let alone with each division carrying an extra 3/4 clubs (well League 2 wouldn’t as that’d mean promoting extra National League clubs).

2. If the season is curtailed should weighted or unweighted ppg be applied?

Seems the question here is whether the ppg system to be used should be based on a ppg across all games or one for home game and another for away games and whether weighting should also be applied

3. How to work out penalties in the ppg system is also on the cards, with the question orientating around whether they are put into the running total or after the average is worked out.

4. Should the bottom club in League 2 be relegated?

League 2 says no but clubs higher up the pyramid may not have the same view. I presume that due to the demise of Bury and the curtailment of the National League that Barrow are going to be promoted whatever happens in the FL (probably another round of voting in the National League will be in the offing onvpce the FL makes a decision here).

5. Some clubs in League 1 want a different method for promotion instead of using the play offs!

Presume this means whichever club finishes 3rd would be automatically promoted.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-18361032

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 Jun 2020 12:45

PL confirmed that 33 games will be available on free-to-air TV.

Villa v Sheff Utd at 6pm and City v Arsenal at 8pm on Wednesday 17 June, both on Sky. Looks like Norwich v Southampton on Friday 19 June is the first free-to-air on Sky/Pick, with Bournemouth v Palace on Saturday 20 June on the Beeb. Couple of crackers for the non Sky/BT crowd. :roll:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 Jun 2020 12:47

5 subs with 9 on the bench. Interestingly* they're also going to mic up the coin toss too!

226 posts