Sky Sports/ BT Sports

Bonzodog

Sky Sports/ BT Sports

by Bonzodog » 15 Mar 2020 16:53

With the probability of a lack of meaningful live sport for several months how will the TV satellite companies fare. I have considered cancelling Sky Sports particularly as they asked for an increase in subscriptions recently. With much of their income from licensed premises and the likelihood of them being forced to close their will be many who will cancel their extortionate charges. There is also very likely to be reduced income from advertisers.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sky Sports/ BT Sports

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Mar 2020 17:10

Personally, I hope they go under

Return the ‘crown-jewel’ sports (especially national events) back to the nation on terrestrial

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 15 Mar 2020 18:21

AthleticoSpizz Personally, I hope they go under

Return the ‘crown-jewel’ sports (especially national events) back to the nation on terrestrial

I hope you are right but I suspect Netflix or Amazon would step in or PL take opportunity to launch their own channel.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Mar 2020 18:27

*fingers crossed* that the Government will realise that the nation needs an uplift in morale after all of this virus stuff is done, and insist that the Beeb and itv take back control of our national sport coverage (cricket, rugby, football and even F1) again...all for the price of a tv licence....and the investments that we make indirectly thru our taxes.

etc

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Mar 2020 18:51

Whilst I accept that the cost of Sky is high, the standard of presentation is so far and away higher than terrestrial it’s not funny.
If the sports are ‘returned’ and end up sub-standard then that’s not a long term move

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Mar 2020 19:00

Of course it’s better...it’s not on terrestrial most of the time

When was the last time that a kid watched anything of a test match?

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 17 Mar 2020 19:03

Sky have just announced that subscribers can pause their Sky Sports subscriptions. Can only be done by phone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2020 06:22

Bonzodog Sky have just announced that subscribers can pause their Sky Sports subscriptions. Can only be done by phone.

Unable to find anything as yet on the Skysports website, but the Sun website reports it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11194763 ... scription/

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 19 Mar 2020 08:35

AthleticoSpizz Personally, I hope they go under

Whilst i agree about the 'crown-jewel' events, we should never under-estimate what Sky have done for English football. Had they not stepped in when they did we would still be watching 'old division one' on BBC1, Sunday afternoons live from the Vetchfield or Highfield Road.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Mar 2020 08:41

AthleticoSpizz *fingers crossed* that the Government will realise that the nation needs an uplift in morale after all of this virus stuff is done, and insist that the Beeb and itv take back control of our national sport coverage (cricket, rugby, football and even F1) again...all for the price of a tv licence....and the investments that we make indirectly thru our taxes.

etc

Zero chance of this happening I’m afraid. The costs of buying sports packages is just too high these days.

One87One

by One87One » 19 Mar 2020 09:25

My Sky Sports is a month-to-month bolt on. I'm binning it until August. No point throwing money away.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Mar 2020 18:42

Sky are allowing subscribers to ‘pause’ their sports channel subscriptions. Can pause it online.
Still watch the channels but not get charged until the sport is back

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Mar 2020 10:53

Franchise FC Sky are allowing subscribers to ‘pause’ their sports channel subscriptions. Can pause it online.

A welcome move - albeit Sky say that we 'don't need to do anything to turn it back on', which leads me to wonder why they can't just pause all the subscriptions themselves.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Mar 2020 11:42

'greed, also it would be nice if you could actually sign into your Sky.com account at the moment

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Mar 2020 11:46

Although I have been able to pause it on the my Sky app

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 23 Mar 2020 16:21

Sanguine
Franchise FC Sky are allowing subscribers to ‘pause’ their sports channel subscriptions. Can pause it online.

A welcome move - albeit Sky say that we 'don't need to do anything to turn it back on', which leads me to wonder why they can't just pause all the subscriptions themselves.

Some people may still be watching endless repeats of the last couple of decades of the Sky Sports archive just to get their sporting fix.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Mar 2020 16:24

The back to back Leeds games are still available even after you suspend

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Mar 2020 16:25

6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine

Some people may still be watching endless repeats of the last couple of decades of the Sky Sports archive just to get their sporting fix.

I'm definitely one of those.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Mar 2020 16:30

6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine

The channels don't get removed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Mar 2020 16:32

Sanguine
6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine

The channels don't get removed.

Isn't that what 'Still watch the channels ...' means ?