Re: Champions League/Europa League 2020/21

by Hendo » 14 Dec 2020 11:50

Winston Biscuit Atletico Vs Chelsea the standout there for me

Yep, would agree with that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Dec 2020 15:43

This is where it really starts with all the big clubs up against each other with some cracking matches expected.

It must be rare for neither of the Milan clubs nor Ajax to be there this time around with them having won it 14 times between them.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Feb 2021 19:41

PL clubs met with UEFA yesterday to discuss the proposal for an expanded CL

6 PL teams would qualify. Top 4 plus 2 invites 'based on historic performances' ( :roll: )

36 teams would be in the CL and each club would play 10 group games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Feb 2021 21:43

Winston Biscuit PL clubs met with UEFA yesterday to discuss the proposal for an expanded CL

6 PL teams would qualify. Top 4 plus 2 invites 'based on historic performances' ( :roll: )

Just hate this historic performance thing. Needs to be some really serious criteria to it else what is to stop an owner just invest enough to be vaguely competitive knowing that because the club won the European Cup once or twice, they will always get in and rake in the money.

Will be bye-bye to the league Cup as well, or acceptance of it as a glorified development competition.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2021 14:07

Europa League Draw Last 16:

Ajax vs Young Boys
Kiev vs Villarreal
Roma vs Shakhtar
Olympiakos vs Arsenal
Zagreb vs Tottenham
United vs AC Milan
Slavia Prague vs Rangers
Granada vs Molde

Return of Ibrahimovich!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Feb 2021 14:34

Winston Biscuit PL clubs met with UEFA yesterday to discuss the proposal for an expanded CL

That'll please Forest.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2021 10:14

Haaland with another brace yesterday as Dortmund won 5-4 against Sevilla over two legs

Juve out in the last 16 stage again, this time losing to Porto. Admittedly not a huge fan of away goals, but surely it’s an unfair advantage being away in the second leg (especially with no fans) as there’s always the possibility of extra time there

Can see Bayern and Dortmund (Haaland) dominating the competition again this year, although I do think Liverpool will go quite far and put aside their league form

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Mar 2021 10:17

URZZZZ Haaland with another brace yesterday as Dortmund won 5-4 against Sevilla over two legs

Juve out in the last 16 stage again, this time losing to Porto. Admittedly not a huge fan of away goals, but surely it’s an unfair advantage being away in the second leg (especially with no fans) as there’s always the possibility of extra time there

Can see Bayern and Dortmund (Haaland) dominating the competition again this year, although I do think Liverpool will go quite far and put aside their league form

Haaland is an animal. I really hope Barcelona or Real Madrid don't get him eventually, would love to see him playing in England for one of the top sides or Liverpool.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2021 10:27

NathStPaul
URZZZZ Haaland with another brace yesterday as Dortmund won 5-4 against Sevilla over two legs

Haaland is an animal. I really hope Barcelona or Real Madrid don't get him eventually, would love to see him playing in England for one of the top sides or Liverpool.

Don’t particularly like PSG - think it’s a waste of a player’s career personally - but you’d have to admit a front three of Mbappe, Neymar and Haaland would be unstoppable

Unfortunately the only Prem team that would have a chance IMO is City - or perhaps United at a stretch as both teams do lack a decent striker at the moment. Liverpool rarely spend big, would certainly need a lot of player sales to fund that one

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Mar 2021 13:12

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

Don’t particularly like PSG - think it’s a waste of a player’s career personally - but you’d have to admit a front three of Mbappe, Neymar and Haaland would be unstoppable

Unfortunately the only Prem team that would have a chance IMO is City - or perhaps United at a stretch as both teams do lack a decent striker at the moment. Liverpool rarely spend big, would certainly need a lot of player sales to fund that one

Salah out, Haaland in, would work from a financial standpoint, and I also think Haaland and Mane would be a very exciting partnership. But talk of Liverpool signing any player of note is somewhat moot whilst they look like missing out on a CL place. As it stands Liverpool's best chance of signing Haaland is if he doesn't leave Dortmund this summer, but I really can't see the German club failing to cash in.

Agree on PSG. And Bayern to some extent, although at least the latter appear a genuine force in Europe. Dortmund just wouldn't sell him to Bayern though, would they?

Also agree that he most like ends up at City, as Aguero's replacement.

Wonder if Haaland has an eye on Ronaldo's CL record of 17 goals in one campaign. Currently on 10*, they'd probably need to make the final for him to have a chance. The list of people he has already overtaken in terms of career CL goals (including Fat Ronaldo, Lukaku, Totti) is ridiculous.

*58 minutes per goal. Olivier Giroud has 6 CL goals this season in just 230 minutes on the pitch (38 minutes per goal).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2021 14:44

Sanguine
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Haaland is an animal. I really hope Barcelona or Real Madrid don't get him eventually, would love to see him playing in England for one of the top sides or Liverpool.

Salah out, Haaland in, would work from a financial standpoint, and I also think Haaland and Mane would be a very exciting partnership. But talk of Liverpool signing any player of note is somewhat moot whilst they look like missing out on a CL place. As it stands Liverpool's best chance of signing Haaland is if he doesn't leave Dortmund this summer, but I really can't see the German club failing to cash in.

Agree on PSG. And Bayern to some extent, although at least the latter appear a genuine force in Europe. Dortmund just wouldn't sell him to Bayern though, would they?

Also agree that he most like ends up at City, as Aguero's replacement.

Wonder if Haaland has an eye on Ronaldo's CL record of 17 goals in one campaign. Currently on 10*, they'd probably need to make the final for him to have a chance. The list of people he has already overtaken in terms of career CL goals (including Fat Ronaldo, Lukaku, Totti) is ridiculous.

*58 minutes per goal. Olivier Giroud has 6 CL goals this season in just 230 minutes on the pitch (38 minutes per goal).

They haven't done that before :wink: but I suppose whilst the likes of Hummels, Gotze and Lewandowski were good players, Haaland is on another level so perhaps you're right

Wouldn't have thought he'd get 17 this season but it's certainly something he has the potential to overtake at some point in his career

In today's market, I can't even imagine what he'd be worth given his age too and track record, especially when you see some of the fees other "lesser" players go for which are substantial in itself

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Mar 2021 14:48

Any Haaland transfer fee this summer will be tempered by his €66m (or so) buy out clause active from June 2022. If he moves I'm sure it will still be for a LOT, but in the current climate I think even the likes of City would wait another year if it meant securing him for a bargain fee.

In that respect surely neither Barca or Real can afford him - which helps City's position.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Mar 2021 15:06

Given the size of their advantage, does elimination from the tournament tonight spell the end for Klopp?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Mar 2021 15:37

John Smith Given the size of their advantage, does elimination from the tournament tonight spell the end for Klopp?

I think he's got until the middle of next season, unless he walks.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Mar 2021 11:01

draw happening now

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Mar 2021 11:13

Winston Biscuit draw happening now

So still 45 minutes until the teams have been drawn then? :wink:

Winston Biscuit