365 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: European Super League

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2021 22:28

Stranded
tidus_mi2
Sutekh
Agree, what JB says is correct and this really has to be addressed. For example the unfairness of a lesser club having mega cash rich owner being penalised for trying to compete by ridiculously complex FFP restrictions when all that should be needed is a simple salary cap across a 25 man squad at each club.

Plus I don’t really know why everyone got so upset by this ESL breakaway idea anyway when essentially it’s exactly the same as what we have already except that half of the clubs that qualify for the Champions League weren’t invited and someone would have to magic up a couple more midweek dates from somewhere.

The big issue for most is that it was a closed shop for the biggest clubs, if they had proposed the ESL as a new European competition where entry was based on merit I doubt there would have been near as much outrage.

Yep, if they said we're setting this up and this is the line up for 2 seasons but after that here is how teams can qualify, potentially at our expense. It may have got some traction.

Or if they'd proposed anything binding and concrete in terms of the long term financing of lower tier football, rather than giving them a few extra pennies voluntarily that will immediately be swallowed up by the whole system trying to play catch up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Apr 2021 06:26

Perez blathering on last night saying it isn't dead and all those who withdrew have binding contracts.

He expects conversations to continue and this to come around again.

If the opposition to this is real, then the breakaway clubs can't just be allowed to carry on regardless.

Also reports out again that the PL is looking at inviting the Old Firm down, so seems nothing really will change in terms of how can we make more cash?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 22 Apr 2021 07:08

Perez interview on Spanish radio

Last night was a long night. We were together in the meeting until around 1:00 A.M.

Interviewer: President of Real Madrid and the Super League? No, the President of Real Madrid is fine.

I am quite sad and disappointed. We have been working on this Super League project for 3 years, to fight against the economic problems we were going through.

The format of the Champions League is obsolete, and people only become interested at the quarter-final.

Among the 12 teams, we lost a total of €650M last season. This season, that number will double or triple. The current format clearly does not work.

Among the 12 teams, we have about 2 billion fans around the world, half the total of football fans in the world.

I have never seen such aggression from the Presidents of UEFA and La Liga. It seemed planned.

All the threats, insults.. It was as if we had killed football! Football must be saved.

One of the 6 Premier League clubs did not have much of an interest in the Super League, and that began to wear off on the others. They were never convinced of the project.

It is very easy to understand, the League is untouchable. The time that you need to get money is during the week. This format clearly does not work.

If this project didn't work, another one will. Remember: All the 12 clubs signed a legally binding contract.

The Super League project was viable without the German and French teams, for sure.

We didn't promise anything to Bayern and PSG. That rumor is false.

I think that we did not present the project well, but we were not given an opportunity to explain it well. They have not given us the opportunity because they did not want to.

It can't be La Liga where the teams at the top lose money and the other teams win money.

The Super League project is on stand-by, this I can confirm.

Juventus and A.C. Milan have not left the Super League.

The English teams left because of the hostile atmosphere. UEFA have put on a display that has surprised me. We asked to speak to the UEFA President, and it was as if we had dropped an atomic bomb.

Young people no longer watch football. 40% of 16-24 year olds do NOT watch football.

4 teams from each country can enter the Super League.

I'm not alone. I've talked to Juventus 3 times today, I am not alone.

I, who am not a fool, have NOT understood the new UCL format.

There have to be TOP level matches from the first match.

I think that the Super League is a project that we do not need to be insulted for. We have had to undergo precautionary measures to protect ourselves, and the Judge has said that it is all legal.

You can't get out of the Super League just like that. The contracts that all 12 clubs signed were legally binding.

There are games that nobody watches, it is hard for me to watch them. From Spain, England and Italy.

The only way to have income is to have a competition that generates a lot of income, but prevents the rich from getting richer.

Real Madrid is rich in trophies. I do not earn a penny. The president of La Liga and UEFA have salaries.

We do not fear acts of retaliation from UEFA.

It's impossible to make signings like Mbappé and Haaland in general - not only for Real Madrid without the Super League.

We would not change anything in regards to the way we announced the Super League. We had prepared for each person to speak. It didn't happen, because with extreme hostility, they killed us.

I didn't say that we would not sign Mbappé, thats for next season.

Many people have congratulated me and have told me to move on.

I don't want to talk about the issue with Tebas, let him talk to the Judge.

Tebas thinks that I am lost? I don't comment on those things. I think that Mr. Tebas is one of those who have to reconsider how the football industry is doing.

This is not going to make relations with PSG difficult. I am everyone's friend, they know what I have done for football. I have the credibility of the people.

I tell the world of football that life changes. When 2 decades pass, new generations appear and demand new things.

We have to produce competitive matches. It is a way for young people to watch the games on their mobile phones. The better the matches, the more TV companies will pay.

There are people who believe that nothing has changed. There are still people who do not believe that COVID is real. They believe that nothing has changed when in reality life has changed. Real Madrid players have lowered their salary.

La Liga without Barça and Atlético? The TV rights would change a lot.

In all companies wages have been lowered. We have all made a sacrifice and football needs a sacrifice. If we think that nothing has happened, then we will be in for a day of disappointment.

How could I not want Sergio Ramos to continue? It doesn't only depend on him, it also depends on the situation at Real Madrid. Let's see what happens next year.

We have said that we will leave for the Super League as soon as possible because it is urgent. In August this year or next year.

Do you think that our socios are stupid? If you tell them that every Tuesday and Wednesday they are going to play against the greatest teams that they will not prefer that?

Nobody has officially left the Super League yet. Nobody has paid the penalty to do so. I will not say the amount that the penalty is.

I want an educated President for UEFA, someone who does not insult others and who does not speak as Čeferin did the other day. You have to set an example. We are in a democratic Europe.

Chelsea fans? They were 40 people outside Stamford Bridge... and if you want, I will tell you who took them there.

Some want a team from Turkey to be included, but the money comes from what is interesting, not from games that are of no interest to anyone.

Renew the squad? But we have the best players in the world.

I can't imagine Real Madrid next year without Zidane.

The people who took Chelsea fans out to demonstrate are the same people who put anti-Super League messages on Cádiz shirts tonight.

People said that I was going to fire Zidane after the loss to Shakhtar in Ukraine. That was a lie.

I don't think fans will be returning to the stadiums for the remainder of the season. If they were allowed, we would re-open the Bernabéu.

I don't know why Klopp doesn't like the Valdebebas. In Kiev we beat them 3-1, and in the Valdebebas we beat them 3-1. The same result.

Nobody is going to shoot themselves if Mbappé doesn't come this year. If something doesn't happen, it is because it can not be done. I think the socios are happy with my work.

Raphaël Varane? I'm happy with our team. If a player doesn't want to stay at Real Madrid then they can leave.

We have already reached an agreement with Luka Modrić, his contract will be renewed. We reached an agreement a long time ago.

I don't know why Sergio Ramos hasn't renewed his contract. We have spoken many times. I love Sergio like a son, but the situation is what it is.

We are close to finishing the season. Maybe we might have to sell Benzema. (Joke)

We have to think only of the fans. Some of the things that a coach does is not understood by the fans. The fans rule here.

I know Barça socios well, do you think they would say no to the Super League? Please..

I like Piqué as a player. Piqué and Ramos have been a blessing from the heavens.

Cristiano returning to Real Madrid would depend more on his situation. The rumors of Cristiano Ronaldo coming back to Madrid are just rumors from his entourage. There’s nothing.

Bayern Munich and PSG joining the Super League was never guaranteed, even though I wanted them to be included.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Apr 2021 07:48

DeLOLuded

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Apr 2021 08:01

Hendo DeLOLuded

I think he posts on the Team Board.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Apr 2021 10:34

Stranded Perez blathering on last night saying it isn't dead and all those who withdrew have binding contracts.

He expects conversations to continue and this to come around again.

If the opposition to this is real, then the breakaway clubs can't just be allowed to carry on regardless.

Also reports out again that the PL is looking at inviting the Old Firm down, so seems nothing really will change in terms of how can we make more cash?

LOL we will see Celtic in the championship then.

Awful dross standard of football.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Apr 2021 10:36

"Young people no longer watch football. 40% of 16-24 year olds do NOT watch football"

Maybe because they don't like football you geriatric belmont

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Apr 2021 10:43

leon
Hendo DeLOLuded

I think he posts on the Team Board.

Certainly oxf*rd sounds like it!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Apr 2021 10:56

Orion1871 Some want a team from Turkey to be included, but the money comes from what is interesting, not from games that are of no interest to anyone.

This confirms what I put in my first post in this thread, they don't want teams in that might "sully" the brand they are trying to create.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Apr 2021 10:59

Franchise FC To be honest, if they want to create a European League then do so but every place is then available on merit.
How keen do you think some of them will be if they are genuinely in danger of the ignominy of relegation ?

Although how you work out how to gain ‘promotion’ is way beyond me

An interesting question posed here. If there was a smaller continental competition with 20 higher quality teams, would that get support? It would be more of a spectacle.

I'd still oppose, as the same big clubs would lobby to give the vast majority of places to PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga. Even the likes of Ajax and Porto would find it almost a closed shop, let alone clubs like Besitkas, Old Firm pair, Shaktar etc.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 22 Apr 2021 14:41

Orion1871 Among the 12 teams, we lost a total of €650M last season. This season, that number will double or triple. The current format clearly does not work.

Feel a bit sorry for Perez here, I mean he's got every right to be angry at the whichever fvckwit at Real Madrid keeps spending hundreds of millions of euros on transfer fees and wages for players that the club just can't afford....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Apr 2021 18:44

6ft Kerplunk
Orion1871 Among the 12 teams, we lost a total of €650M last season. This season, that number will double or triple. The current format clearly does not work.

Feel a bit sorry for Perez here, I mean he's got every right to be angry at the whichever fvckwit at Real Madrid keeps spending hundreds of millions of euros on transfer fees and wages for players that the club just can't afford....

And that's the crux of the problem.

The 'so-called' elite want to shaft the rest of football for their own financial mis-management
Apparently, it's the football pyramid's fault that they paid stupidly big transfers fees and paid unfeasibly large salaries

Remarkably, as far as I can reasonably see, the likes of Bayern seem to have been able to succeed without breaking their own bank
(I'm sure someone (Stranded, maybe) will know if that's really true)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 19:05

Here's a thought. If you want football to be interesting. And games to be exciting. And big clashes from the start of the tournament, level the playing field.

It's not interesting because the early results are a foregone conclusion because Real and their ilk have hoovered up all the money and talent and priced everyone else out.

The Championship is interesting because the top 6 could end up as teams from about 75% of the division. Not like La Liga where the top 3 is only ever going to be a very small pool of clubs.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Apr 2021 19:44

Snowflake Royal Here's a thought. If you want football to be interesting. And games to be exciting. And big clashes from the start of the tournament, level the playing field.

It's not interesting because the early results are a foregone conclusion because Real and their ilk have hoovered up all the money and talent and priced everyone else out.

The Championship is interesting because the top 6 could end up as teams from about 75% of the division. Not like La Liga where the top 3 is only ever going to be a very small pool of clubs.

So are part of the 25% then :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Apr 2021 20:23

Can`t believe the stupid old fukker thinks this still has legs, laughable.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 22:53

Snowflake Royal Here's a thought. If you want football to be interesting. And games to be exciting. And big clashes from the start of the tournament, level the playing field.

Hoping it’s a one off this season because of how strange the whole situation is but damning to see the top three as Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth (I.e the three relegated teams from last year)

Hate how money is at the forefront of everything in football now - completely taken the game over

For all the talk of how exciting the Champions League is - was dominated by Spanish teams for a fair while. Maybe a resurgence of English and German teams now? Wouldn’t be against a new format

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 08:20

Agree with the general sentiment, but not on the bold bit. Sadly those days are behind us. Look at the top 3 in the champ now. I think this season more than any has been a real low for the Championship, showing that those who are given bucketfuls of money (either this season or last when in the PL) will come out on top and the others are left to fight for the scraps

Still a much more exciting division than most though

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Apr 2021 09:24

Winston Biscuit

Agree with the general sentiment, but not on the bold bit. Sadly those days are behind us. Look at the top 3 in the champ now. I think this season more than any has been a real low for the Championship, showing that those who are given bucketfuls of money (either this season or last when in the PL) will come out on top and the others are left to fight for the scraps

Apparently the average temperature in the world was over 3 degrees higher than average last year. That's not yet a trend either.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Apr 2021 09:50

the football in the championship is pretty shit tho

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 10:18

Winston Biscuit

It's one season and has taken a 7 game winning streak from Bournemouth to make it that way - a month ago people were talking about them not even making the play offs.

This season has to be taken as the anomaly it is at the moment - it feels like a carry over of last season in many ways given the what 6 week gap between seasons and the relentness churn of fixtures was always going to favour the teams with the bigger squads. Add in a lack of fans and the season is and hopefully will be unique in our lifetimes.

If next season and the one after, sees a similar pattern then we have an issue but generally at least one if not 2 of the relegated clubs "struggle" either by only making the play-offs or even finishing mid to lower mid table.

365 posts