Players from days of yore

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Players from days of yore

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 08 Sep 2021 16:11

A player that never aged (always looked 65) and seemed to span the era from black and white TVs to the Premier League.

Unbelievable that he was a top-class 'box-to-box' goalscoring midfielder - whilst looking like one of your dads Sunday league mates.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Sep 2021 16:56

Always been a fan of the Argentinians and Maradona imo was the best ever, however I absolutely loved watching Football Italia on C4 Sunday lunchtime with this guy banging them in for Fiorentina. He looked like a devilishly hairy God and always seemed to be having the best time out of everybody.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 08 Sep 2021 16:59

leon Always been a fan of the Argentinians and Maradona imo was the best ever, however I absolutely loved watching Football Italia on C4 Sunday lunchtime with this guy banging them in for Fiorentina. He looked like a devilishly hairy God and always seemed to be having the best time out of everybody.

That has to be one of the top 5 kits of all time. Lovely.

Also this guy. What a player he was!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Sep 2021 17:24

Donny Ironside
leon Always been a fan of the Argentinians and Maradona imo was the best ever, however I absolutely loved watching Football Italia on C4 Sunday lunchtime with this guy banging them in for Fiorentina. He looked like a devilishly hairy God and always seemed to be having the best time out of everybody.

My favourite things about Football Italia (apart from JR reading a pink newspaper and eating gelatos) was Batistuta banging them in for Fiorentina and Beppe Signori banging them in for Lazio. While also being amazed at how gigantic the San Siro looked

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Sep 2021 06:56

Winston Biscuit
Donny Ironside

My favourite things about Football Italia (apart from JR reading a pink newspaper and eating gelatos) was Batistuta banging them in for Fiorentina and Beppe Signori banging them in for Lazio. While also being amazed at how gigantic the San Siro looked

Yeh, I was a Beppe Signori fanboy. Was such a great show.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Sep 2021 09:40

Yeah, Football Italia was brilliant. Seemed to be some kind of misconception that Italian football was defensively minded but in reality there seemed to be brilliant goals every single week in the 90s. Zindane at Juventus was just sublime. Asprilla and Zola at Parma.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Oct 2021 13:30

I was looking this up just this morning in reference to another thread. Serie A generally averaged about 2 - 2.1 goals a game when it was 2 points for a win. We hit the 90s and suddenly this immediately jumped up to over 2.5 game, partly I think fueled by the influx of world class attacking players from abroad but also by going to 3pts for a win. I get the impression Italian football was awash with money after Italia 90. This also coincided with English clubs still being banned from Europe. I suppose the Taylor Report also meant English clubs were diverting spending away from players. Dont think the Bundesliga was that strong at the time either.

A throwback to the Inter team of the 60s that dominated Europe by sneaking a goal then sticking 10 men behind the ball and kicking lumps out of the opposition. Thus was born the Catenaccio system that dominated Italian football for the next 3 decades.

Gazetta was a great programme though. Don't think James Richardson really knew the first thing about football but it didn't matter, he understood the culture. He was an excellent presenter.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 04 Oct 2021 21:21

Have we had Hans Segers yet?

If not, Hans Segers.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Oct 2021 10:13

Socrates. Probably the greatest philosopher-footballer ever. Was extremely lucky to see him (and Zico, Eder, Junior, Cerezo et al) play at Wembley in '81. What a team they were. I can remember one moment of skill when an aerial pass to him that was slightly behind was just dragged down in front of him without breaking stride. It would not have surprised me if he had lit up a cigarette at the same time. Just astonishing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Oct 2021 14:33

Green Have we had Hans Segers yet?

If not, Hans Segers.

Proper (padded) keeper tops and outfield shorts and socks - simply majestic.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Oct 2021 14:34

Was a good era for 'proper' keepers. Erik Thorstvedt another.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Oct 2021 19:01

Erik Thorstvedt Let in 5 goals including a hat-trick from one of my (then time) mates back in the early nineties.
Pre-season friendly, Sutton United 5 (full squad) Spurs 2 ....even made the back page of the NOTW :lol:

Go Evooo (ex W&E...when they were goodish...#9 prior to his transfer to Sutton) the ‘wheels fell off a bit after that :|

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Oct 2021 19:22

‘Slim Jim’ Stannard

GK for Gillingham

Faced Reading a few times