EFL to end TV 3pm Saturday blackouts from 2024.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

EFL to end TV 3pm Saturday blackouts from 2024.

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Nov 2021 13:20

So it appears that the EFL are talking to Netflix and Amazon about televising 3pm games UK and worldwide from 2024 when Sky's pathetically cheap deal runs out.
Interesting debate. Sky and the PL are not happy...which must mean it's a good thing? The PL want it blocked.
I have to say what f*ck this has to do with them is beyond me. They seem to be behaving like little Hitler's . Which is amusing as the EPL has created a monster they are losing control of.
I actually welcome it if the deal is right. It won't stop me going to games.....just wondered if others here would stop going...or thoughts.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: EFL to end TV 3pm Saturday blackouts from 2024.

by Zip » 27 Nov 2021 13:37

Yep it might stop me going to games as I would save a lot on petrol and parking but I would miss the social side of things but as I get older the thought of easy access to games is appealing especially in the winter.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Nov 2021 16:07

Depends in the amount of cash clubs in the FL will get.

Can understand Sky getting upset as it means they won’t be able to have the rights for games so they’ll have to go without and might lose a subscription or two from the odd ine or two fans who don’t care about the PL too much.

Don’t get what beef the PL would have with it though, they can’t seriously be worried it’d affect the attendances for the 3 or 4 games that still get played in that division on a Saturday can they?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 14:37

Sutekh Depends in the amount of cash clubs in the FL will get.

Can understand Sky getting upset as it means they won’t be able to have the rights for games so they’ll have to go without and might lose a subscription or two from the odd ine or two fans who don’t care about the PL too much.

Don’t get what beef the PL would have with it though, they can’t seriously be worried it’d affect the attendances for the 3 or 4 games that still get played in that division on a Saturday can they?

Reckon a lot of people follow the PL who have their own team below it who would watch that if available rather than the PL, but can't manage to actually get to games regularly.

Exiles, families, etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 18:28

Right idea and about time. As a comparison, every game in top 3 German divisions are shown live and there has been no impact to attendances.

Guess a lot will depend on if you have to pay per game or get a subscription, if the latter is priced well then you may see a drop off but hard to tell.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Mar 2023 18:05

DAZN make a 'significant' offer to show every EFL game live on the condition the 3pm blackout is dropped

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Mar 2023 20:42

I feel this has to be a good thing, think EFL have been bowing down to the PL for too long and want to strike a fairer deal, there are always some very big teams in the EFL and the rights deal has been pathetic.

Looked at DAZN, monthly subscription is currently £9.99 which is a bloody bargain compared to a £10 day/match pass for NowTV or RoyalsTV. They of course may raise their prices if they secure this deal though.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 29 Mar 2023 23:42

Happy with SKY, I go to every home game and the red button for the midweek aways is a good thing.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Mar 2023 08:30

personally not a fan of ending the 3pm blackout. But it feels like its going to happen sometime soon enough anyway.

If its going to happen as someone like DAZN are going to broadcast all EFL games at that time, I would prefer it if at the same time they block PL games being played at that time (many weekends have few PL games at that time already anyway)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Mar 2023 09:21

tidus_mi2 I feel this has to be a good thing, think EFL have been bowing down to the PL for too long and want to strike a fairer deal, there are always some very big teams in the EFL and the rights deal has been pathetic.

Looked at DAZN, monthly subscription is currently £9.99 which is a bloody bargain compared to a £10 day/match pass for NowTV or RoyalsTV. They of course may raise their prices if they secure this deal though.

That’s 9.99 at the moment, think that might increase if they get a sporting completion people actually want to watch week in and week out.

All credit to the FL to look into it and hope they stay strong enough to tell the PL to sod off if they start poking their oar in, trouble is though that if the FL did get a really good tv deal then the PL would want to cut all their subsidies to the lower divisions and grass roots. Guess sorting this out might be the first task for any football tsar should the fan led review finally get set up.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Mar 2023 09:34

Ascotexgunner So it appears that the EFL are talking to Netflix and Amazon about televising 3pm games UK and worldwide from 2024 when Sky's pathetically cheap deal runs out.
Interesting debate. Sky and the PL are not happy...which must mean it's a good thing? The PL want it blocked.
I have to say what f*ck this has to do with them is beyond me. They seem to be behaving like little Hitler's . Which is amusing as the EPL has created a monster they are losing control of.
I actually welcome it if the deal is right. It won't stop me going to games.....just wondered if others here would stop going...or thoughts.

it would make me pick and choose my games.....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Mar 2023 09:59

It wouldn't effect my comparatively sparce attendance at games these days, it would just give me a good opportunity to watch us playing when I have the opportunity, but I would still look to make the effort to go to games when I can as well. I enjoy the atmosphere of being at a game, miles better than watching on TV even though it's more convenient.

I'm a fan of it, more access to football which is where it's all going now.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Mar 2023 10:03

Anything that encourages football fans to watch the Football League is cool with me.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Mar 2023 11:26

Wasn't the argument that showing more games on TV would reduce fans attending matches the same argument they used on the foundation of the Premier League but that never actually materialised.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Mar 2023 12:02

tidus_mi2 Wasn't the argument that showing more games on TV would reduce fans attending matches the same argument they used on the foundation of the Premier League but that never actually materialised.

The argument was showing PL games at 3pm on a Saturday would impact attendances lower down the pyramid. Not sure how that is actually measured to see if it's turned out to be correct though as we have only had it with the blackout in place.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 30 Mar 2023 14:16

Ascotexgunner So it appears that the EFL are talking to Netflix and Amazon about televising 3pm games UK and worldwide from 2024 when Sky's pathetically cheap deal runs out.

Sounds good for the Football League then. Bollocks to Sky.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2023 17:26

I've got ITV Digital vibes

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Apr 2023 11:40

As all Premier League games are sell-outs it wouldn't affect those clubs..
The championship is such a drab watch that I doubt that fans of other clubs at Championship and lower levels would stay in and watch these games so it would only potentially affect attendances for the games shown.
I guess the TV money would provide sufficient compensation .

It could well affect away attendances which in turn affects the "matchday experience" brought about when there are big away followings but they are few and far between.

Que sera ,sera.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1