Total votes: 127
Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Do you support more than one club?

by Row Z Royal » 30 Jul 2006 14:53

frimleygreen_shotspur
Row Z Royal
readingbedding I'm not talking about liking the way a team plays, I mean support.

I mean switching allegiance.
I mean changing your mind growing up.

Reading this forum there seems to be people who have more than one club in their hearts.

It would be interesting to know why.

I was brought up an Arsenal fan and, last year, I was able to call myself a part-time Gooner. However, the first game I went to was with my ManUre supporting uncle. When Reading played ManUre in the cup all those years ago, he went as a Reading fan. I couldn't go to Highbury last season but I listened to the game as a Reading fan.

Reading are my local club. The first game I saw was theirs. I'm a Reading supporter and the Arsenal thing is now an interest when they're in Europe.

Because of my childhood, I can't wait for the Spurs games.

you will be cheering the gunners on then in the reading games,given your childhood?

:roll:

I am a Reading supporter first, but I have a very strong dislike for Spurs.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 30 Jul 2006 14:54

Row Z Royal
frimleygreen_shotspur
Row Z Royal
readingbedding I'm not talking about liking the way a team plays, I mean support.

I mean switching allegiance.
I mean changing your mind growing up.

Reading this forum there seems to be people who have more than one club in their hearts.

It would be interesting to know why.

I was brought up an Arsenal fan and, last year, I was able to call myself a part-time Gooner. However, the first game I went to was with my ManUre supporting uncle. When Reading played ManUre in the cup all those years ago, he went as a Reading fan. I couldn't go to Highbury last season but I listened to the game as a Reading fan.

Reading are my local club. The first game I saw was theirs. I'm a Reading supporter and the Arsenal thing is now an interest when they're in Europe.

Because of my childhood, I can't wait for the Spurs games.

you will be cheering the gunners on then in the reading games,given your childhood?

:roll:

I am a Reading supporter first, but I have a very strong dislike for Spurs.

got it.you hate spurs more than you like arsenal.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 30 Jul 2006 15:14

No, I only support Reading - though I do keep an eye out for Sunderland's results as I spent 2 years at Poly up there and would watch them at Roker Park whenever i was there (tho did hitch down to Darlington to watch us get the point to secure promotion back in the mid 80's).

However, I never felt like a Sunderland fan, and when we started playing Sunderland there was no tug of loyalty - 100% Reading.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 30 Jul 2006 18:16

Memories Of India
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm a part owner of the reformed Czech 2nd division side Bohemians Prague (a very small part it has to be said) and I keep an eye out for their results on their web page "the virtual dimple" (their ground is called "the dimple").

They were just a club I remembered from a bit of brief highlights in the 80s. Whereas every other eastern block club seemed to play in vast oval bowl type stadium, their's was like a sardine tin with pitch inside.

I plan to go out and watch them play (and have a long weekend in Prague, it has to said) on the first international weekend in September.

I can hardly call myself a "fan" of them though. I couldn't name a single one of their players.

Do they still have a kangaroo on their badge?

They do indeed.

Remarkably a scarf costs the same as a season ticket – 300Kc, or about £7

SpaceCruiser
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm a part owner of the reformed Czech 2nd division side Bohemians Prague (a very small part it has to be said)

How much did that cost?

£25.

They averaged 4663 in their first season in the Czech 3rd division (where crowds are usually around 100) and will play in the 2nd division this season after being rather dubiously promoted - several 2nd division clubs sold their 2nd division licences to teams below and swapped places.

The Dimple

bassavage

by bassavage » 30 Jul 2006 20:49

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Memories Of India
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm a part owner of the reformed Czech 2nd division side Bohemians Prague (a very small part it has to be said) and I keep an eye out for their results on their web page "the virtual dimple" (their ground is called "the dimple").

They were just a club I remembered from a bit of brief highlights in the 80s. Whereas every other eastern block club seemed to play in vast oval bowl type stadium, their's was like a sardine tin with pitch inside.

I plan to go out and watch them play (and have a long weekend in Prague, it has to said) on the first international weekend in September.

I can hardly call myself a "fan" of them though. I couldn't name a single one of their players.

Do they still have a kangaroo on their badge?

They do indeed.

Remarkably a scarf costs the same as a season ticket – 300Kc, or about £7

SpaceCruiser
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm a part owner of the reformed Czech 2nd division side Bohemians Prague (a very small part it has to be said)

How much did that cost?

£25.

They averaged 4663 in their first season in the Czech 3rd division (where crowds are usually around 100) and will play in the 2nd division this season after being rather dubiously promoted - several 2nd division clubs sold their 2nd division licences to teams below and swapped places.

The Dimple

How did you manage to do that?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 17 Aug 2006 11:27

I only support Reading, but there are certain clubs I follow either because they have an ex Royal, or because a friend supports them, or because theyre local to me (in the case of Gillingham).

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Aug 2006 12:34

Would it be right to say that since Reading's promotion to the Premiership, some people who do support 2 clubs (how, i don't know) are dropping one club and sticking with Reading?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 18 Aug 2006 11:36

Reading are my team however my second team is Aberyswyth Town who I supported in my Uni years when getting to reading games was nigh on impossible.....

I have great memories of Inter Toto cup adventures, the supporters sharing the bus with the team on away matches, going to exotic locations like rhyl and camaes bay, waiting for the manager to throw up in a layby after we got drunk going home after a win at caernarfon, standing at Narks corner........

and from there to a premierhsip game tomorrow

twat in the hat

by twat in the hat » 18 Aug 2006 12:55

i mainly support liverpool for two reasons:

when i was little, my mum took me to get a football shirt. my dad said "whatever you do, dont let him get a united shirt" so i picked a liverpool shirt and from that day on i have supported liverpool as my main club

they are also a close team for me (about an hours drive in the car)

i go to watch Reading as my dad has supported them all his life, and i do have to say, Reading are far more interesting to watch than Liverpool

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Aug 2006 12:56

For me personally, Reading didn't enter a regularly watching the game phase until 97/98 when I went to the FA Cup 4th round replay against Cardiff, never looked back since then. I had been quite a few times before that but never more than a handful of times home/away a season. What a season to pick :roll:

Before then I was a Liverpool supporter in the school boy sense. Replica kits, scarves, sticker albums etc. Never actually went to Anfield until about 2003. That's about it really, I would never support them over and above Reading but do enjoy watching them when I can and always want them to win when watching on TV.

By rights I should probably be a Watford fan as they were the first club I watched back in the late 80's. I was dragged along by my dad as his company had a box there.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 18 Aug 2006 15:09

My first game was Reading in 1986 and started watching Everton in 1988.
I was born in Chester and lived there til I was 10 in 1992.

For some reason away games at Bury, Chester and Tranmere were more appealing than Everton v Chelsea etc. Weirdo.

Last Everton game I went to was in 2004. Before that went 2 or 3 times a season. My twin bother choose Everton and he has been travelling so havent been to Goodison much recently. I'd say my brother and sister are opposite to me that they support Everton and would want them to beat Reading, but will go to RFC matches. I want Reading to beat Everton unless it meant Everton went down/didnt get into Europe and the result was worthless for Reading.

There are some aspects of Everton Football Club that I wish belonged to Reading. Also, their fans are less embarrasing and funnier.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Aug 2006 16:21

I am 'fond' of quite a few clubs. This involves looking for their results, hoping they do well, nothing more. Some of these teams include:-

Stevenage Boro
St Albans City
Woking
Rochdale
Manchester United
Basingstoke Town

However, I only support Reading. IE Id never not go to a Reading match to see any of these clubs, I knowbarely anything about the above teams players (apart from the obvious).

kant

by kant » 18 Aug 2006 16:28

URZZZZZZZZ I am 'fond' of quite a few clubs. This involves looking for their results, hoping they do well, nothing more. Some of these teams include:-

Stevenage Boro
St Albans City
Woking
Rochdale
Manchester United
Basingstoke Town

However, I only support Reading. IE Id never not go to a Reading match to see any of these clubs, I knowbarely anything about the above teams players (apart from the obvious).

St Albans City?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Aug 2006 16:30

kant
URZZZZZZZZ I am 'fond' of quite a few clubs. This involves looking for their results, hoping they do well, nothing more. Some of these teams include:-

Stevenage Boro
St Albans City
Woking
Rochdale
Manchester United
Basingstoke Town

St Albans City?

Well they're local to my Dads house, as are Stevenage. Saw them get promoted a couple of years back! :D

noise

by noise » 18 Aug 2006 16:39

I watch a few other teams, but don't 'support' them, FC Dallas and Torquay United in particular.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Mar 2008 22:59

I used to support Spurs when I was 6. It was Jimmy Greaves you see.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re:

by Dirk Gently » 26 Mar 2008 23:18

readingbedding Would it be right to say that since Reading's promotion to the Premiership, some people who do support 2 clubs (how, i don't know) are dropping one club and sticking with Reading?

Years ago I always thought that I was legitimately allowed one top tier team and my local (real) team - Reading.
So there was a certain irony when it was Leicester City we clinched promotion at, and now there's just one team I support, although I have a soft spot for quite a few others.

But when I move up North to retire I'll probably just join the Northern Royals to watch the Reading away matches and follow Darlo. Wish they were still at Feethams, though.....

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 27 Mar 2008 01:06

Reading FC is the only proper Football club I support. The Seattle Seahawks are the only American Football team I support. Loyalty > Sports bigamy.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re:

by The whole year inn » 27 Mar 2008 05:52

SpaceCruiser
frimleygreen_shotspur spurs because when i was nine i watched the 1961 cup final and was captivated.they did then,as now,place the emphasis on entertainment.aldershot,because they are local.

Then you're a fool. I've moved down to Exeter and refused to support the local team.

Nothing wrong with going along and supporting your local non-league side if you have a Saturday or weeknight free, surely?

Even if the 'supporting' part only means giving them some money at the gates.

IMO people should take their kids along to terraced non-league game. The Premiership is not representative of English football.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 27 Mar 2008 09:41

In my family we had one West Ham fan, One Chelsea and the majority were either Man Utd or Liverpool.

I grew up a Liverpool fan. Kicking balloons around my livingroom pretending to be Steve McMahon, Peter Beardsley, Ian Rush.... :oops:

My first contact as such with Reading FC was when my dad went to Wembley for the Simod cup final. I wanted to go but was only 6 years old and he wouldn't take me. Instead he brought me back a scarf, program and flat cap.
It was a good 5 years before I actually got taken to a game and I spent the majority of the time at the front of the Tilehurst end hoping to throw the ball back to a player when a corner was being taken.

It wasn't until 1994 when my dad decided he wanted to start going every week again that I started going too. I walked into the South Bank and immediately was hooked. The atmosphere, the standing shoulder to shoulder, the sheer noise, passion, call it what you will - I fell in love and never looked back.

Even when I lived in Leeds for three years, I drove to almost every home game and the majority of away games. I couldn't and shouldn't have afforded it, but I did.

I'm far more sensible now even if I do hate missing games, but as soon as I can have another season ticket no matter what level we're playing at I will have one!

Liverpool was the influenced team to support as a kid, but it never got past watching the telly and putting posters up in my room.

Reading Football Club is where my heart is and in no way could that allegiance change, ever.