No way, those nutters should not be in the Premiership
56%

Total votes: 100
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 12:11

TBM
SpaceCruiser It's the ENGLISH Premiership. I could understand it if the Welsh had no league of their own, but they do.....

How long have Cardiff been playing in an English league?

Why should it matter where they come from, does it really bother you that much?

Did you miss the "I know that they (and Swansea) were in the English league long before the formation of the League of Wales" bit? To be fair, I have no problems with them remaining in the English league because of the historical perspective, but I always thought that it looked ridiculous when there is a Welsh league in existence. I seem to remember that they and Swansea were given the opportunity to withdraw from the Football League and join that Welsh league and they turned it down. I imagine that they thought they would lose too much money if they joined that league.

I imagine that you're all for Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic to join the English league?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Do you want Cardiff in the Premiership?

by 6ft Kerplunk » 25 Sep 2006 12:29

SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser I have no problems with Wales. I like them as a country. I even had Welsh grandparents. :roll:

Or to put it another way, you're half welsh.

I always thought I was quarter welsh.

You said grandparents rather than grandparent, so I took that as being as being two grandparents being welsh. That means either your mother or father is completely welsh or both are half welsh. Either way you're half welsh.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 12:33

6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser I have no problems with Wales. I like them as a country. I even had Welsh grandparents. :roll:

You said grandparents rather than grandparent, so I took that as being as being two grandparents being welsh. That means either your mother or father is completely welsh or both are half welsh. Either way you're half welsh.

Ah, I see what you mean. By the plural, I meant that both my mother's parents were welsh. (If you're asking why I'm using past tense, they're all dead) My dad's parents were english, both of my parents were born in England, so I sort of figured on the quarter welsh idea.

Jimpanzee

by Jimpanzee » 25 Sep 2006 12:46

I'd like to see Cardiff in the Premiership...I enjoyed my trips down to Ninian Park...a few cheeky beers in the Admiral Napier and then the half-time pint in that corrugated shack thing. Brilliant :D

I'd rather they came up to the Prem rather than us go down to the CCC.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Sep 2006 12:54

SpaceCruiser
TBM
SpaceCruiser It's the ENGLISH Premiership. I could understand it if the Welsh had no league of their own, but they do.....

Did you miss the "I know that they (and Swansea) were in the English league long before the formation of the League of Wales" bit? To be fair, I have no problems with them remaining in the English league because of the historical perspective, but I always thought that it looked ridiculous when there is a Welsh league in existence. I seem to remember that they and Swansea were given the opportunity to withdraw from the Football League and join that Welsh league and they turned it down. I imagine that they thought they would lose too much money if they joined that league.

I imagine that you're all for Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic to join the English league?

No, but if Celtic and Rangers had been in the English league before a Scottish league had been set up then i wouldn't have a problem. Why should it be a problem for Cardiff, a team who has always been in the English league, to play in the top division. They have every right to, just as much as we do.....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2006 13:24

SpaceCruiser
TBM

Different situation entirely.

It's not even that uncommon a situation across Europe either, there are a number of clubs who play their League football in a different country to which they are based.

Christ, the English FA even stage their showpiece games in Cardiff at this moment in time.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 25 Sep 2006 13:25

I want anybody apart from Birmingham or Leeds

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 25 Sep 2006 13:28

SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk

Ah, I see what you mean. By the plural, I meant that both my mother's parents were welsh. (If you're asking why I'm using past tense, they're all dead) My dad's parents were english, both of my parents were born in England, so I sort of figured on the quarter welsh idea.

So half welsh then. :roll: Using alad's hundred years residency rule you're not allowed to support England.

Ascension

by Ascension » 25 Sep 2006 14:05

I'd oxf*rd love to see Cardiff in the Premiership.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 14:14

TBM Why should it be a problem for Cardiff, a team who has always been in the English league, to play in the top division. They have every right to, just as much as we do.....

Of course, if they earn the right to play in the Premiership, then fair play. I just said that it looks stupid if one of the teams in the Premiership is from Wales.

6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser
6ft Kerplunk
SpaceCruiser I have no problems with Wales. I like them as a country. I even had Welsh grandparents.

So half welsh then. :roll: Using alad's hundred years residency rule you're not allowed to support England.

The way I see it, imagine a pie chart. One quarter of it is my birthplace, which is in Reading, England. A second quarter is my parents birthplace, which are both in England. The third is my father's parents' birthplace which are both in England. The final quarter is my mother's parents which are both in Wales. Roll your eyes all you want, I still consider myself three quarters english and one quarter welsh. ;)

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 25 Sep 2006 14:18

Farnborough Royal I want anybody apart from Birmingham or Leeds

i think that's the key point.

i'm not saying cardiff would be easy if they were in the prem but it woul dbe less daunting than sunderland/leeds/wolves etc with the relative differences in income...

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 25 Sep 2006 14:19

Be nice to see Cardiff come up, hopefully at the expense of the nothing club Wigan.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Sep 2006 14:26

TBM
SpaceCruiser
TBM

No, but if Celtic and Rangers had been in the English league before a Scottish league had been set up then i wouldn't have a problem. Why should it be a problem for Cardiff, a team who has always been in the English league, to play in the top division. They have every right to, just as much as we do.....

Berwick play in the Scottish league, too, so it happens in both directions.

When the FA was set up, they were the only FA - hence they are not the EFA. The Football League was founded in 1888 - interestingly the credit is given to a Scot. The Scottish Football League followed only two years later, so it's not surprising that no Scottish teams have joined the English system. There is a tradition of Welsh teams playing in England though - former teams include Aberdare, Merthyr and Newport County. Scots teams did play in the early years of the FA Cup (Queen's Park reached the Final in 1884 and 1885) despite the Scottish FA having had their own cup since 1873. Cardiff are the only non-English club to have won the cup, though.

And, for the record, if you have no problem with Cardiff in the Football League, you cannot have any problem with them in the Premiership.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2006 14:35

SpaceCruiser
TBM Why should it be a problem for Cardiff, a team who has always been in the English league, to play in the top division. They have every right to, just as much as we do.....

Of course, if they earn the right to play in the Premiership, then fair play. I just said that it looks stupid if one of the teams in the Premiership is from Wales.

No more stupid than say, Monaco, playing in the French top flight

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 14:38

Stranded
SpaceCruiser

Surely Monaco isn't as big as Wales? Does Monaco have a league of its own?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2006 14:41

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser

But that's the point Spacey, neither did Wales when Cardiff were first formed.

Ascension

by Ascension » 25 Sep 2006 14:43

Spacey, isn't it about time you found yourself a girlfriend?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 14:45

Stranded
SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser

And I did mention the fact that they turned down the chance to join the League of Wales when it was being set up, even though it was a easier route to Europe.

Monaco surely can't have many teams in it......?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2006 14:54

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser

And I did mention the fact that they turned down the chance to join the League of Wales when it was being set up, even though it was a easier route to Europe.

Monaco surely can't have many teams in it......?

And you'd seriously expect a professional club that had played in the English Leagues for 80+ years to resign and join a newly formed League of Wales for an easier route in to Europe. Even by your standards, that's laughable.

The LoW wasn't professional at the outset, it may be now, but the standard is non-league. Cardiff would have had players on full time contracts earning English League pay cheques. By moving in to the Welsh League they would have had to either release these players, and pay up their contracts. Or keep them on the books and walk the Welsh League.

However, the later would be financial suicide, as gates would drop (or they would certainly have to charge a lot less), advertising revenue would drop, no TV money......all for an easier route to the Champions League 1st Qualifying round, a couple of games against the Estonian champions and a possible tie against a big club which they would lose. I really don't think so.

Hypothetically, if Berkshire became a country I asume you would be the first to demand our resignation from the Premiership to join the newly formed Berkshire League due to the easier qualification route.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Sep 2006 15:48

San Marino has both its own football league and a team (San Marino Calcio) in the Italian Serie C1/B. An amateur team, A C Juvenes/Dogana, plays in both the San Marino league and the Italian amateur leagues.