European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

5197 posts
Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

Re: European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

by Winston Smith » 15 Dec 2016 10:34

Saaaaaaaammmmmm The Club World Cup is already proving as irrelevant as any year, I actually quite like the idea of an intercontinental club competition, but FIFA have made it a complete meaningless shambles

So usually my interest lies with following Auckland City, the annual minnows, who will always be a fixture in the competition due to the fact they've won the Oceania Champions League six years in a row now (the closest they came to losing was probably 2014 when they scraped a late winner over the mighty Amicale from Vanuatu)

2014 was the year Auckland heroically reached the semi-finals of the CWC and took the South American champions to extra time, but it'll always be difficult as the format requires the OFC winner to play a play-off round against the host nation's club, then a quarter-final, then the semi-final which is the stage the UEFA and South American sides join

This is the problem, as this year Auckland were knocked out to an 88th minute winner by Kashima Antlers. The Antlers then went on to beat Mamelodi Sundowns of Africa, before seeing off Atlético Nacional of South America yesterday to become the first Asian team to reach the final of the competition (this has been making the news mainly as Kashima were awarded a penalty by the video referee, a process which took over six minutes)

However the Antlers are not even a continental champion, they sneaked in by winning the J-League just two weeks ago. Rather than make the competition for all the continental winners (a fairly round six teams), FIFA try and shoehorn the tournament hosts in. The problem being, the hosts are Japan pretty much every single year, so pretty much every single year there's a Japanese side taking part without even winning their Champions League. This means the format has to adapt to an awkward seven teams, and now one of the finalists of the Club World Cup is a team that aren't even the best on their continent

Also, with a total of six matches played in the knockout format, we end up playing four of those before the inevitable champions, Real Madrid, even join the competition. Real open their campaign today against Club America of, America, and if they win that then it's them against the Antlers for the title of world's best

If you're not going to do this competition properly FIFA, I'm not sure why you're even bothering

While we look down our noses at the CWC, it is a big deal in South America.

Infantino has proposed expanding the competition to 32 teams, having a format like the Champions League and playing it in June

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 18 Dec 2016 19:07

Dries Mertens scored 3 for Napoli in Serie A last weekend.
Dries Mertens scored 4 for Napoli in Serie A today.

First player in 42 years to score consecutive hat-tricks in Serie A

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 19 Dec 2016 14:02

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Dec 2016 14:35

Messi is ridiculous.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Dec 2016 13:06

Winston Smith Barcelona flying out to Qatar for a midweek friendly against Christian Gross managed Saudi Champions Al-Ahli, before flying home to play in their derby match against Espanyol at the weekend.

Their full squad are flying out there. Apparently it is contracted that the first team must play in the match.

But apparently the fixture schedule is too overcrowded.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 04 Jan 2017 16:05

A Turk just told me they have a bit of a Leicester going on over there with Istanbul Basaksehir top of the league.

Tiny club formed in 1990 in a newly build part of Istanbul who averaged 2000 fans 2 years ago (when they got a new ground) and prior to that were getting 100-200 fans at games. Very little money spent, manager is former manager of the national team and apparently is all about sitting back and allowing 2 or 3 players to counter very quickly and it is working. They have not lost a league game so far this season.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 18 Jan 2017 08:17

New Juventus club badge

:shock: :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Feb 2017 09:53

One for Stranded. Seeing as there is no segregation in the Bundesliga and opposition fans sit next to each other holding hands.

Football hooliganism is nothing new in Germany, but when violence broke out before a Bundesliga match between two of the top clubs, this was something different.
The stones and bottles thrown and the hate banners displayed by Borussia Dortmund supporters on Saturday exposed a widespread loathing in Germany for a team seen as upstarts, RB Leipzig.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38802113

double d

by double d » 08 Feb 2017 10:23

No Fixed Abode One for Stranded. Seeing as there is no segregation in the Bundesliga and opposition fans sit next to each other holding hands.

Football hooliganism is nothing new in Germany, but when violence broke out before a Bundesliga match between two of the top clubs, this was something different.
The stones and bottles thrown and the hate banners displayed by Borussia Dortmund supporters on Saturday exposed a widespread loathing in Germany for a team seen as upstarts, RB Leipzig.

Are you on a mission to ruin every thread with your waffle?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Feb 2017 10:52

double d
No Fixed Abode One for Stranded. Seeing as there is no segregation in the Bundesliga and opposition fans sit next to each other holding hands.

Blimey. Somebody is clearly still rattLOLed they don't know their Broad Streets from their St Mary's Butts. :lol:

double d

by double d » 08 Feb 2017 11:09

No Fixed Abode
double d

Blimey. Somebody is clearly still rattLOLed they don't know their Broad Streets from their St Mary's Butts. :lol:

No im RATTLOLED because you and your constant sh1te are ruining this board. If only the mods can do the same for you as they did to Dave royal. You probably are the same person anyway

The Informant

by The Informant » 08 Feb 2017 11:12

Rattlelolololololololololed

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Feb 2017 11:14

At the risk of white-knighting Kes, the majority of that article is a good read.

Also: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... udge-match

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Feb 2017 11:42

The Informant Rattlelolololololololololed

Clearly. I post up an interesting article and double d has gone on full meLOLtdown mode about it. He seems so stressed.

double d

by double d » 08 Feb 2017 13:12

I'm not stressed I am so chill. I am just trying to rid the board of heathens like Kes

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Feb 2017 13:48

double d I'm not stressed I am so chill. I am just trying to rid the board of heathens like Kes

Sorry for posting an interesting piece on the trouble that marred a Bundesliga game.

double d

by double d » 08 Feb 2017 14:57

No Fixed Abode
double d I'm not stressed I am so chill. I am just trying to rid the board of heathens like Kes

Sorry for posting an interesting piece on the trouble that marred a Bundesliga game.

Absolute LOL at the typical Kes-ness of your post and the fact that you forgot the snipey comment you made which is why most people on this board think your are a belmont

The Informant

by The Informant » 08 Feb 2017 16:33

double d
No Fixed Abode

Absolute LOL at the typical Kes-ness of your post and the fact that you forgot the snipey comment you made which is why most people on this board think your are a belmont

double d is so un-rattleloloed that he just cant let it go.

I enjoyed the piece, Kes. Well worth posting.

double d

by double d » 08 Feb 2017 16:38

"Are you Kes in disguise?"

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Feb 2017 16:55

When you look back it is suprising that there wasn't the same type of reaction here when our own upstarts came to the fore with Abramovich taking over.
The loathing was there and probably still is.

5197 posts