Simon Cox attracting top flight interest

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Simon Cox attracting top flight interest

by winchester_royal » 08 Jan 2009 16:33

Alan Partridge
Stranded
Alan Partridge Cox wanted to play, despite only being given 45minutes out of position he still proved he was more capable out on the right than most. Broken record when it comes to Simon cox but why he wasn't ever given a chance is a mystery and a very costly mistake.

Impossible to say if it was a very costly mistake as none of us can say with any certainty that him playing would have kept us up last year.

In fact to say that a letting an untried young player go is a costly error (on the basis of the odd cameo role) is a very bold statement.

I think his goalscoring record and the fact that two Premiership sides are allegedly chasing him at over £1million less than a year after we flogged him on the cheap and he's still only 22 would hint Reading were hasty letting him go. And it was their decision. They could have said no we don't want you to go permanently,happy to loan you till the end of the season then we'll look at it.

I've done this debate to death in all honesty, I personally think it was a big error and the lad as an excellent future. I would much rather see the likes of Cox a local lad who has gone out and proven he can score regularly in the RFC shirt than either Lita and in particular Long.

Completely agree with that. Even out in the RM position he looked a cut above what we had on offer there (Oster + Doyle).

I would say that if he had played there for the majority of games from Jan to May, we would have stayed up. That is my opinion, but i'm sure the HNA? faithful will shout me down immediately with chants of 'not proven at prem level'. The fact of the matter is that he would have offered something that we didn't have last season; Passion and desire.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 08 Jan 2009 16:38

winchester_royal The fact of the matter is that he would have offered something that we didn't have last season; Passion and desire.

Confusing 'fact' with subjective opinion there !

He could just have easily got sucked into the general complacent mood (in fact was probably already part of it), or decided that he'd made it and could enjoy his newly enhanced salary.

He might have done a job, but to expect that a player with zero experience in the top couple of levels of the game might have single handedly made the difference between relegation or not is stretching it. Personally i can think of a couple of other selection strategies that would have thought would have been better options (playing Bikey regularly for a start....)

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 Jan 2009 16:49

Simon Cox,like James Henry,was from Reading. He would have to passion to do well for this club. In fact he shouldn't of left in the first place.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jan 2009 16:51

rhroyal
Thaumagurist* Is Simon Cox still at Reading............? :roll:

General Football.

FFS PUTTING THAT IS SO OXF*RDING POINTLESS!!!!! HE WAS WITH US UNTIL LAST SEASON AND MANY READING FANS LIKE TO KNOW HOW OUR ACADEMY PRODUCTS ARE DOING!! I WISH PEDANTIC DELINQUENTS WOULD STOP POSTING POINTLESS THINGS LIKE THIS!!!!!

Harrison Bayley is making a name for himself...

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 Jan 2009 16:54

winchester_royal Completely agree with that. Even out in the RM position he looked a cut above what we had on offer there (Oster + Doyle).

I would say that if he had played there for the majority of games from Jan to May, we would have stayed up. That is my opinion, but i'm sure the HNA? faithful will shout me down immediately with chants of 'not proven at prem level'. The fact of the matter is that he would have offered something that we didn't have last season; Passion and desire.

We should have stuck Henry on the right. :D 8)

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 08 Jan 2009 16:57

Cox is a professional footballer, not an RFC fan, he saw his car££r elsewhere and chose to move.

Some people need to get over it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Jan 2009 16:58

We used 11 players in the right midfield position when using 1 right winger, who may not have been the greatest player in the squad, on a more regular basis would have given the midfield more balance over the whole season.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 08 Jan 2009 17:09

I believe that particular horse was flogged to death at the time.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Jan 2009 17:12

sheshnu I believe that particular horse was flogged to death at the time.

Bless.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Jan 2009 17:14

This is going over old ground again, but I, too, believe we were wrong to sell Cox when we did. We only got £200k for him - surely we should have let him go to Swindon on loan, even for a season and then decided whether we wanted to sell him on or keep him? Very short sighted imho. I thought he was flipping brilliant against Spurs in the cup. He didn't leave for the £££, he left for the chance to play first team football because he's so passionate about the game. So there!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jan 2009 18:45

rhroyal p.s. We have mods for a reason. If they decide this is the wrong board for the thread it's up to them, and posting something like that doesn't make the slightest difference. Let them decide where threads go and post stuff about football.

Actually we'd prefer that threads were posted in the most appropriate forum in the first place, but there you go.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jan 2009 18:47

Royal Lady This is going over old ground again, but I, too, believe we were wrong to sell Cox when we did. We only got £200k for him - surely we should have let him go to Swindon on loan, even for a season and then decided whether we wanted to sell him on or keep him? Very short sighted imho.

Wasn't he out of contract in the summer, though?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Jan 2009 18:58

rhroyal
Thaumagurist* Calm down! :roll:

Sorry, it's just you see loads of posts like that on here or posts correcting spelling or grammar. They all get to me because they're all utterly pointless and patronising. You were just the one i chose to respond to.

To be fair, he's responsible for most of those, too.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 09 Jan 2009 10:01

That Friday Feeling Cox is a professional footballer, not an RFC fan, he saw his car££r elsewhere and chose to move.

Agreed. He wouldn't have played at Reading as they never seem to play many of their youngsters.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Jan 2009 10:03

Had to join a worse team than Reading to play and he's still there.

Carry on Coppell.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Cox

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jan 2009 22:51

Possible swap dea with Ken Dodd, I believe.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83916

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 25 Jan 2009 12:47

I know that he wanted to be given the chance at Reading to make his name but it was just not going to be given to him, shame really as we'll now never know.
RFC are very strange when it comes to giving youngsters a go yet seem to always go for the lesser known signings, giving them their backing to go on and prove themselves.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jan 2009 17:52

Royal Lady This is going over old ground again, but I, too, believe we were wrong to sell Cox when we did. We only got £200k for him - surely we should have let him go to Swindon on loan, even for a season and then decided whether we wanted to sell him on or keep him? Very short sighted imho. I thought he was flipping brilliant against Spurs in the cup. He didn't leave for the £££, he left for the chance to play first team football because he's so passionate about the game. So there!

Who says Swindon would have accepted another loan? They clearly wanted a permanant signing. He'd been there on loan, I doubt we'd have refused an extension.

A couple of exciting cameos out of position do not mean he'd have been any better on the right than anyone else.

Personally I find Coppell's approach of not standing in a player's way if they're determined to move - particularly for those not playing regularly is refreshing and nice. I'd rather have Cox than Long this season, but shit happens.

Readingfc50

by Readingfc50 » 01 Feb 2009 19:24

You can see why he is attracting Premieship clubs when he scores a goal like this....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RtM8Zh1DQ ... re=related

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Feb 2009 19:58

Harry Carry
That Friday Feeling Cox is a professional footballer, not an RFC fan, he saw his car££r elsewhere and chose to move.

Agreed. He wouldn't have played at Reading as they never seem to play many of their youngsters.

Long, Pearce, Karacan, Kelly,Henry