Burnley v Sheff Utd - the £60m game

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: Burnley v Sheff Utd - the £60m game

by Huntley & Palmer » 26 May 2009 10:13

I spoke to a Burnley fan before the first leg, he said they didn't care where they finished in the league so long as they smash Blackburn home and away. I like that attitude

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 May 2009 10:15

Tony Le Mesmer Whats all this come on Burnley stuff?

Burnley spawned it and had everything go their way in the play offs. They even had the luxury of Bristol City not turning up on the last day which meant they got to play us.

Burnley is a truly unwelcoming, bitter town with horrible fans.

Where as Sheff Utd have a nice ground always a good atmosphere there. Oh well each to their own.

Cos its nice to see a different team in the Premiership - it gets boring when you just see the likes of West Brom yo-yo-ing between the two....

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 May 2009 10:21

I don't like Burnley and I hope they come straight back down. Thinking about it, I think that's extremely likely. Consider this:

1. Last time Reading were 4th and in the play-offs, Wolves went on to play Sheffield United in the final.
2. Wolves won that game.
3. And came back down the following season.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 26 May 2009 10:27

Thaumagurist* I don't like Burnley and I hope they come straight back down. Thinking about it, I think that's extremely likely. Consider this:

1. Last time Reading were 4th and in the play-offs, Wolves went on to play Sheffield United in the final.
2. Wolves won that game.

You know what, i actually forgot that Wolves have been in the Premiership......i cant even remember them being there :|

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 May 2009 10:29

TBM
Thaumagurist* I don't like Burnley and I hope they come straight back down. Thinking about it, I think that's extremely likely. Consider this:

2. Wolves won that game.

You know what, i actually forgot that Wolves have been in the Premiership......i cant even remember them being there :|

That's because they were shit and were hammered all the time. I think that will be what Burnley will be like as well.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 26 May 2009 10:46

Thaumagurist*
TBM

2. Wolves won that game.

That's because they were shit and were hammered all the time. I think that will be what Burnley will be like as well.

Burnley will be just like Derby....Hull would have been had it not been for their great start (1 win in last 19)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 26 May 2009 10:52

Hull would have been had it not been for their great start

Bit of a non-sequitur, imo.

1) They did have the great start

2) Their later form may have been a pretty direct result of having just about enough to stay up so early in the season (Premature Second Season Syndrome, if you will)

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 26 May 2009 10:53

papereyes
Hull would have been had it not been for their great start

Bit of a non-sequitur, imo.

1) They did have the great start

2) Their later form may have been a pretty direct result of having just about enough to stay up so early in the season (Premature Second Season Syndrome, if you will)

True....just trying to point out that Hull were very lucky not to go down, they got found out by alot of clubs quite early - whereas we didn't until the 2nd season.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 26 May 2009 10:56

I do wonder how much was 'being found out' and how much was internal - Phil Brown apparently saying he was a future England manager or, perhaps ironically, alluding to being like Brian Clough, players looking at the points total and thinking they were safe in their Premiership contracts for another year.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2009 11:09

Thaumagurist*
TBM

2. Wolves won that game.

Ask Man Utd fans if they got stuffed all the time.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 May 2009 11:10

I dont think Hull have been that great at all.

They had a purple patch for the final half of last season and the first 2 months of this. Thats it.

So they scraped up through the play offs and then had a good honeymoon period before becoming the worst team in the division. 1 win in 22 and that was a last minute winner totally against the run of play. They just had a good spell at the best possible time.

They will have to revamp their team and management completely if they want to be competitve next season. I doubt they could afford to do that.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 May 2009 11:58

papereyes [(Premature Second Season Syndrome, if you will)

Love it! :D

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 May 2009 12:00

Phil Brown needs a good hard kick in the nads. You'd almost think that as well as managing the team he'd played all 38 games on his own and won every game 20-0. Don't think I heard a single word about his players other than saying some of them were championship players and would be replaced. Orange faced pcunt.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 26 May 2009 12:20

Blackwell looked like he was going to kill himself during that interview after the game.....has he resigned yet?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 May 2009 12:56

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew As for RRs original post I still think there is something not quite right in our accounts for the two Premiership seasons and if we haven't made a significant profit this season with players on reduced wages,£11 million of parachute payments,some TV money,decent home gates and extra fixtures as well as income of around £10 million plus from transfers and ongoing receipts from London Irish and club shop sales there is something seriously wrong with the financial management of our club.

Something not quite right? What could be wrong with the accounts? It's all there in black and white and the numbers all made perfect sense.

As for the season just ended, I would like to think that we at least broke even but whether or not that is the case I am happy that the financial management of our club is second to none in the entire Football League.

Hmm..black and white eh?
You know and I know that accounts despite being certified do not always tell the whole story and I admire your blind faith that RFC is second to none for financial management.
So going back to your original post you feel that clubs shouldn't even bother to get to the Premiership because there is no money to be made?
Not sure that the chairmen and/or owners of the football league clubs would agree.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 May 2009 13:15

BR2
Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew As for RRs original post I still think there is something not quite right in our accounts for the two Premiership seasons and if we haven't made a significant profit this season with players on reduced wages,£11 million of parachute payments,some TV money,decent home gates and extra fixtures as well as income of around £10 million plus from transfers and ongoing receipts from London Irish and club shop sales there is something seriously wrong with the financial management of our club.

Something not quite right? What could be wrong with the accounts? It's all there in black and white and the numbers all made perfect sense.

As for the season just ended, I would like to think that we at least broke even but whether or not that is the case I am happy that the financial management of our club is second to none in the entire Football League.

Hmm..black and white eh?
You know and I know that accounts despite being certified do not always tell the whole story and I admire your blind faith that RFC is second to none for financial management.
So going back to your original post you feel that clubs shouldn't even bother to get to the Premiership because there is no money to be made?
Not sure that the chairmen and/or owners of the football league clubs would agree.

Well now, I don't think that's what I said, or anything like it.

It's the whole £60m game crap that I object to - by the time all the additional costs have been tallied up there is nothing much left out of the additional revenues, and there is bugger all the clubs can do about that.

It is not blind faith at all - I see the Balance Sheet and for a club of our size it is strong.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 May 2009 14:17

Kitsondinho Blackwell looked like he was going to kill himself during that interview after the game.....has he resigned yet?

No need. He'd already blamed the ref for them losing last week.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 26 May 2009 14:59

6ft Kerplunk
Kitsondinho Blackwell looked like he was going to kill himself during that interview after the game.....has he resigned yet?

No need. He'd already blamed the ref for them losing last week.

:lol: