Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5577 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jul 2019 08:18

Zip Were Bolton penalised for not fulfilling a fixture at the back end of last season?

not yet. They are waiting to hear their punishment, which is likely to be more points docked on top of the -12 they already start on next season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jul 2019 08:29

Winston Biscuit
Zip Were Bolton penalised for not fulfilling a fixture at the back end of last season?

not yet. They are waiting to hear their punishment, which is likely to be more points docked on top of the -12 they already start on next season

So the -12 is for going into administration. They are bound to get another points deduction for not fulfilling fixtures I would have thought. What a mess.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jul 2019 08:30

Zip
Winston Biscuit

So the -12 is for going into administration. They are bound to get another points deduction for not fulfilling fixtures I would have thought. What a mess.

another 3 points deducted has been suggested, but maybe with the -12 already in place they decide not to go down that route and do something else

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jul 2019 08:54

So as I mentioned a few posts ago, unless Football Ventures get the hotel their buy out of the club simply won't work. The buy out has been approved by the EFL on this basis. From what the administrators say, this could take 2 more week to sort out, so the week before the season at the earliest - they will then be fishing around for unwanted free transfers and loans.

I can't say any of their contracted players playing any friendlies when they have no insurance and not been paid for 5 months. To be honest, I am amazed they haven't walked away - can only assume they have no other offers. At this stage, it would not surprise me if Bolton do not even make the start of the season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Jul 2019 09:29

And people think our club is badly run/in trouble.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 18 Jul 2019 10:21

Snowflake Royal It really is the consequence of that continued and ludicrous overspending in the PL. It's deserved, but it's been too long to really be properly linked to that in the minds of many.

Quite. Ordinarily, I'd have some sympathy with them, but I still recall their late Chairman Phil Gartside proposing to end promotion to and relegation from the Premier League. They were already seasoned passengers on that gravy train and wanted to block any other side from getting their hands on the money - it was the pinnacle of arrogance and greed (which are hallmarks of just about everything the PL stands for). Their fans at the time were largely supportive of the idea.

Chickens, roosting and all that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2019 13:28

From an aesthetic perspective, what always bugged me about Bolton was the whole media fawning. "Isn't JayJay Ococha great". Yeah. Ococha's great but what about the other 9 outfield players kicking lumps out of people and elbowing everyone in the head

Oh, and the twats with fcuking huge flags running up and down the touchline to "I Feel Good" whenever they scored.

Oh, and the drum majorettes piped through the PA, trying to generate an atmosphere.

The most plastic matchday experience imaginable. Everyone there seemed to buy the Bolton as Las Vegas pretentions of the people running the club which included gambling on the gravy train still coming to visit. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd and Bolton will always be a dreary provincial Lancashire shithole.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jul 2019 14:33

saw a Bolton fan on twitter this morning questioning how this could have happened when only a few years ago they had the likes of Ivan Campo playing for them. The idiocy is quite spectacular.

Similarly I have an in-law relative who follows Pompey and a couple of years back they said to me 'I just can't get my head around how this could even have happened, it wasn't long ago we were winning the FA Cup and had Sol Campbell playing for us!'. :lol:

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 20 Jul 2019 03:42

From Despair To Where? From an aesthetic perspective, what always bugged me about Bolton was the whole media fawning. "Isn't JayJay Ococha great". Yeah. Ococha's great but what about the other 9 outfield players kicking lumps out of people and elbowing everyone in the head

Oh, and the twats with fcuking huge flags running up and down the touchline to "I Feel Good" whenever they scored.

Oh, and the drum majorettes piped through the PA, trying to generate an atmosphere.

The most plastic matchday experience imaginable. Everyone there seemed to buy the Bolton as Las Vegas pretentions of the people running the club which included gambling on the gravy train still coming to visit. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd and Bolton will always be a dreary provincial Lancashire shithole.

Beautifully written :)

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 20 Jul 2019 15:13

Bolton unable to fulfil friendly against Preston.

Thats them done for I think. They wont last till Xmas.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Jul 2019 09:40

The Enfield Royal71 Bolton unable to fulfil friendly against Preston.

At this rate they won’t last till Friday

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2019 12:10

Franchise FC
The Enfield Royal71 Bolton unable to fulfil friendly against Preston.

At this rate they won’t last till Friday

Decent chance they'll get one game in this season, they open away.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Jul 2019 19:08

And weekend game Vs Oldham is off.

Is Parky still there?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Jul 2019 21:16

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Jul 2019 12:35

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Jul 2019 13:49

From Despair To Where? From an aesthetic perspective, what always bugged me about Bolton was the whole media fawning. "Isn't JayJay Ococha great". Yeah. Ococha's great but what about the other 9 outfield players kicking lumps out of people and elbowing everyone in the head

I think it is a bit harsh just picking on Bolton when so many other clubs have followed the same path and are equally plastic.
What about Pompey and (although I like the club), Rangers in Scotland and the other Rangers down the road from us?
So many have tried to buy the dream and lived beyond their means and there is now an overspend system in place to deal with these clubs.

Quite a few have gone broke-Bury another case at the moment-and clubs in the North-West, Preston, Blackpool, Blackburn, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield, Oldham etc struggle because they operate in close proximity to the biggest clubs in English football.

I always feel sorry for the fans-we have been fortunate in never quite going under but the 60s was a particularly difficult time and we were very close to it-who have no control nor say in the strategy of their football club and just have to stand by and watch.
I have seen Bournemouth fans throwing coins into buckets because of the mismanagement of their club just to keep the club going and, in a way, they have had the benefit because along came a Russian with real money to invest a fortune and take them to where they are today.

I don't like seeing long-standing members of the football league in trouble as Wednesday, Sheff Utd and latterly Notts County and Bolton have struggled just to survive but there is a system now in place so what will be will be however I'm not going to gloat over Bolton, Bury or any other club potentially doing an Accrington Stanley all because of mismanagement, not by fans, but by others.
There but for the grace of somebody could be us.

On a slightly wider point I think it is ridiculous that the professional game goes so far down the ladder in England to the point where some teams below the Conference have some full-time paid players.

I do hope Bolton survive even if it has taken nearly all of the 24 years to get over the Wembley defeat.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 29 Jul 2019 20:36

I think that over the next couple of years we'll see 3-4 traditional League clubs going to the wall.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jul 2019 21:25

Victor Meldrew

I think it is a bit harsh just picking on Bolton when so many other clubs have followed the same path and are equally plastic.
What about Pompey and (although I like the club), Rangers in Scotland and the other Rangers down the road from us?

I was talking about the Premiership matchday experience at Bolton, all faux Vegas cabaret with drums piped through the PA, fireworks left, right and centre and blokes with massive flags running up and down the touchline to James Brown. All it needed was a fat Elvis impersonator in a sequinned jumpsuit. All this razzmatazz to introduce Kevin Nolan kicking lumps out of people and Kevin Davies elbowing anyone within 5 yds in the head.

A big dollop of kitch with extra cheese on the side and all to introduce the main event of 90 minutes of agricultural hoofball. If we did similar at Reading, I'd die of embarassment.

I don't think I'd lump the matchday experience at Rangers, Pompey or QPR in anything like the same company.

I also have a pathological dislike of Sam Alardyce. I think it stems from a MOTD interview when he was asked something along the lines of "That was a classy performance from Anelka" and he replied "I'm taking the missus to Vegas to see Celine Dion. Now that's classy".
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 30 Jul 2019 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2019 08:33

Bury game suspended on Saturday and they have until Friday to provide the required evidence else the game at Accrington on the 10th August is likely to go the same way. The way it looks today, Bury will be an ex-league club very soon.

Better news for Bolton, the EFL are satisfied with what they have been provided with and the game at Wycombe goes ahead as scheduled, mainly due to the PFA lending the prospective owners approx 2m to pay back money owed to football creditors - though god knows what team Bolton will be able to put out. There are a number of free agents apparently training there (who clearly aren't wanted elsewhere) so can only assume that as soon as any deal is penned they will sign contracts.

If no deal gets signed, can Bolton play player on non-contract terms?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Jul 2019 16:12

Stranded

Bury game suspended on Saturday and they have until Friday to provide the required evidence else the game at Accrington on the 10th August is likely to go the same way. The way it looks today, Bury will be an ex-league club very soon.

Better news for Bolton, the EFL are satisfied with what they have been provided with and the game at Wycombe goes ahead as scheduled, mainly due to the PFA lending the prospective owners approx 2m to pay back money owed to football creditors - though god knows what team Bolton will be able to put out. There are a number of free agents apparently training there (who clearly aren't wanted elsewhere) so can only assume that as soon as any deal is penned they will sign contracts.

If no deal gets signed, can Bolton play player on non-contract terms?

Do they want Meyler ?

Oh, hang on, we would need them to pay something, even if it's only to him.

5577 posts