Hob Nob Addict

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by RG30 » 03 Aug 2021 12:58

Sky Channel 513

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2021 19:23

Dirk Gently For those interested in such things, may I just flag a programme going out next Monday (9th August) at 9pm on Al Jazeera:

“Al Jazeera Investigations : The Men Who Sell Football”: The I-Unit goes undercover to expose how English football clubs can be bought by criminals and become vehicles to launder the proceeds of their crimes.

From what I understand, this will definitely be of interest to RFC supporters.

Although not many people can get Al Jazeera, they live stream it and add it to Youtube to make it more accessible.

hmmm, son of a Russian billionaire who made his money in the Soviet collapse, and a chinese billionaire who made his money buying old fallout shelters and converting them to malls...

no potential criminal links there

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Aug 2021 21:33

If messi just took lower wages he could stay, right?!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Aug 2021 22:33

PSG squad if they get messi next year looks frightening :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Aug 2021 08:47

Winston Biscuit If messi just took lower wages he could stay, right?!

Think Barcelona's finances are that ballsed he'd have to pay them to stay. Which I guess he could easily afford to do. Quite surprised they haven't found a way round it with sponsorship. If he goes their commercial income will drop massively leaving them in even more of a hole.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 09 Aug 2021 10:12

6ft Kerplunk

Think Barcelona's finances are that ballsed he'd have to pay them to stay. Which I guess he could easily afford to do. Quite surprised they haven't found a way round it with sponsorship. If he goes their commercial income will drop massively leaving them in even more of a hole.

Read an article that stated Messi's income for 2019-20 alone was 110% of Barcelona's total income. :shock:
Last edited by Ark Royal on 09 Aug 2021 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Aug 2021 11:00

Read that Barcelona need to get their wages to turnover ratio down to 70% as per the league rules, before they can register any player. It's currently at 95%, even with Messi leaving. So Messi wouldn't even be able to play for them for free

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Aug 2021 11:31

genome

Read that Barcelona need to get their wages to turnover ratio down to 70% as per the league rules, before they can register any player. It's currently at 95%, even with Messi leaving. So Messi wouldn't even be able to play for them for free

was also reading that a law in Spain says someone's employment contract can only be reduced by 50% wage as a maximum, thats so as to avoid people being exploited or summat.

either way, he is in this situation due to money - a combination of the club spending stupidly and him regularly demanding more and more contracts on higher wages (maybe there he is not in the wrong as the club could have said no)

Was reading last night about how a big turning point in Barca's finance story is when they gave in to Messi's demands and gave him 100% of his image rights, which other star players in Spain don't get (50% is standard but Ronaldo at RM negotiated 60% and apparently that was a controversial moment). Neymar then demanded the same and a domino effect happened through the squad leading to the club losing huge amounts of money and handing power over to the players.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Aug 2021 11:53

Winston Biscuit either way, he is in this situation due to money - a combination of the club spending stupidly and him regularly demanding more and more contracts on higher wages (maybe there he is not in the wrong as the club could have said no)

It does make you wonder. Say Messi was on £1,000,000 a week (which I think he was). What difference would moving up to, say, £1,200,000 a week on a new contract make? There must come a point when you're earning so much money that any increase to your wage makes no difference to your lifestyle and it just becomes greed.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Aug 2021 12:43

genome
Winston Biscuit either way, he is in this situation due to money - a combination of the club spending stupidly and him regularly demanding more and more contracts on higher wages (maybe there he is not in the wrong as the club could have said no)

It does make you wonder. Say Messi was on £1,000,000 a week (which I think he was). What difference would moving up to, say, £1,200,000 a week on a new contract make? There must come a point when you're earning so much money that any increase to your wage makes no difference to your lifestyle and it just becomes greed.

His 2017 contract that got leaked, which he and barca didn't deny, was a maximum of €555M over 4 years if all bonuses were reached meaning he was on an average of €2.5/£2.3M per week. he then also was give a €115M renewal bonus when signed and a €78M loyalty bonus for staying through all 4 years.

I assume its just a mindset they get into. They have had no other job so Its the only world they know. He has people around him who are there to get him the best deals so I guess he can just leave it to them and get told how they got him even more the next time

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/lionel-messi-barcelona-contract-details-674-million-earnings-leaked-by-spanish-paper-in-bombshell-report/#:~:text=Lionel%20Messi%2DBarcelona%20contract%20details,in%20bombshell%20report%20%2D%20CBSSports.com

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Aug 2021 14:08

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently For those interested in such things, may I just flag a programme going out next Monday (9th August) at 9pm on Al Jazeera:

“Al Jazeera Investigations : The Men Who Sell Football”: The I-Unit goes undercover to expose how English football clubs can be bought by criminals and become vehicles to launder the proceeds of their crimes.

From what I understand, this will definitely be of interest to RFC supporters.

Although not many people can get Al Jazeera, they live stream it and add it to Youtube to make it more accessible.

hmmm, son of a Russian billionaire who made his money in the Soviet collapse, and a chinese billionaire who made his money buying old fallout shelters and converting them to malls...

no potential criminal links there

The second hand car business hardly has a squeaky clean reputation either....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Aug 2021 14:11

So, throughout the course of his whole career, Messi has earned €1B+ from Barcelona just in wages or does that €555m include image rights?

Does it get to the point where it just becomes a game to see how much the club are willing to pay for the LOLs?

Didn't his tax evation case also revolve around an alleged agreement that the club would pay his tax on top of his basic wages or was that Ronaldo when he had one of his many contracl strops at Real?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 Aug 2021 14:22

From Despair To Where? So, throughout the course of his whole career, Messi has earned €1B+ from Barcelona just in wages or does that €555m include image rights?

Does it get to the point where it just becomes a game to see how much the club are willing to pay for the LOLs?

Didn't his tax evation case also revolve around an alleged agreement that the club would pay his tax on top of his basic wages or was that Ronaldo when he had one of his many contracl strops at Real?

I heard that when he left Real Madrid that one of the sticking Ronaldo fell out with them over was their refusal to pay off his legal costs.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Sep 2021 18:46

Sounds like Derby are getting a 9 point deduction

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 17 Sep 2021 09:43

BBC headline:

Barcelona have confirmed they made a loss of £481m in the last financial year. The club also have debts of £1.3b

For £s read Euros in both cases.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Sep 2021 09:50

Brum Royal BBC headline:

Barcelona have confirmed they made a loss of £481m in the last financial year. The club also have debts of £1.3b

For £s read Euros in both cases.

Makes the likes of Reading getting an embargo seem rather petulant.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 17 Sep 2021 20:54

Winston Biscuit Sounds like Derby are getting a 9 point deduction

They're appointing administrators, so that'll be another 12 points off.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Sep 2021 21:38

Deadlock
Winston Biscuit Sounds like Derby are getting a 9 point deduction

They're appointing administrators, so that'll be another 12 points off.

Seems to be a few journo's suggesting it may well be 21 points off this season, a 2 year transfer embargo and 3 points off at the start of next season.

EESH

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Sep 2021 21:48

EFL confirm Derby have been deducted 12 points

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/september/efl-statement-derby-county2

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Sep 2021 22:02

Unfortunately I have zero sympathy for them.

5579 posts