Were Diamanti and Ramsey booked for their celebrations?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Were Diamanti and Ramsey booked for their celebrations?

by Thaumagurist* » 03 Jan 2010 20:29

I see that both players in today's game between Wet Sham and Arse celebrated their goals by deliberating hugging people in the crowd.

The BBC seems to say that they weren't booked. Is this correct? If it is, then how can this be? Simon Church was booked for something like this and yet when it's between those two, the referee decides to ignore it.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Were Diamanti and Ramsey booked for their celebrations?

by The 17 Bus » 03 Jan 2010 20:34

"deliberating hugging people in the crowd."

and they say shakespeare could ultimately be written by chimps. thank god i lived in a cardboard box and learned.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2010 20:34

Take it to the Referees Association or the FA Spacey, but whatever you do.........take it to the highest level

They can do retrospective pardons.....so they can do retrospective bookings

Take the bit between the teeth and dont roll over

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Jan 2010 00:04

The 17 Bus "deliberating hugging people in the crowd."

and they say shakespeare could ultimately be written by chimps. thank god i lived in a cardboard box and learned.

It makes perfectly good sense to me, and it gladdens the heart to see such a thoughtful, even cerebral approach to celebration.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jan 2010 07:13

Thaumagurist* I see that both players in today's game between Wet Sham and Arse celebrated their goals by deliberating hugging people in the crowd.

The BBC seems to say that they weren't booked. Is this correct? If it is, then how can this be? Simon Church was booked for something like this and yet when it's between those two, the referee decides to ignore it.

Haven't you answered it yourself Spacey? Perhaps Church's deliberation just wasn't quite as obvious to the ref.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 04 Jan 2010 09:47

I love the celebrations. They showed a clip of John Hartson scoring for West Ham in a cup tie vs Arsenal in 98 and him jumping into the crowd 8) That's exactly how it should be.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Jan 2010 10:35

Thaumagurist* I see that both players in today's game between Wet Sham and Arse celebrated their goals by deliberating hugging people in the crowd.

Cos the ref was a cock, in the Bristol game - there is nothing wrong with celebrating a goal and the refs seem too keen to dish out cards for it.....a simple word in the ear to the player would be enough.

Also, what i dont understand is why players get booked for taking their shirt off? - what is deemed so offensive about taking a shirt off to celebrate a goal? :?

AF2

by AF2 » 04 Jan 2010 10:56

TBM .

Also, what i dont understand is why players get booked for taking their shirt off? - what is deemed so offensive about taking a shirt off to celebrate a goal? :?

regardless of the rights or wrongs of the rule it remains prolly the most straightforward and unequivocal ones to abide by and i cant understand or sympathise with players who continue to flout it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 04 Jan 2010 11:04

AF2
TBM .

regardless of the rights or wrongs of the rule it remains prolly the most straightforward and unequivocal ones to abide by and i cant understand or sympathise with players who continue to flout it.

True, i just see whats so bad about it?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 04 Jan 2010 11:23

TBM True, i just see whats so bad about it?

I heard somewhere that it was to stop additional advertising on players' vests underneath their kit which kinda makes sense. Nobody else seems to have heard about it though so maybe I dreamt it, I dunno.

yappy

by yappy » 04 Jan 2010 11:48

I seem to remember alot of fuss came about from a celebration by Diego Forlan. He took off his shirt, threw it up in the air and then he struggled to put it back on, so he was booked for timewasting essentially, and I'm pretty sure that led to a crackdown.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2010 11:49

TBM

Cos the ref was a cock, in the Bristol game - there is nothing wrong with celebrating a goal and the refs seem too keen to dish out cards for it.....a simple word in the ear to the player would be enough.

It's a bookable offence to leave the pitch without consent hence why Church was correctly booked - his sending off was his own fault for getting booked whilst still on the bench. If the players weren't booked yesterday the ref will get a bollocking from his assessor.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2010 12:10

Stranded It's a bookable offence to leave the pitch without consent hence why Church was correctly booked - his sending off was his own fault for getting booked whilst still on the bench. If the players weren't booked yesterday the ref will get a bollocking from his assessor.

Didn't that bit get proved incorrect during the Church booking outcry?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 04 Jan 2010 12:12

TBM

Well, it's massively ghey for a start.

But many players, during the 90s, started wearing t-shirts with slogans or political messages on them. Robbie Fowler's "Dockers" t-shirt springs to mind. The law was brought in to deal with that (and sponsorship, as mentioned above).

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Jan 2010 12:15

My thoughts as well. No consistency really. I think Church was booked presumably because the ref thought he was the player who jumped into the crowd when it was clearly not him.
What I don't understand is why the club didn't therefore appeal that second yellow card which resulted in his ban.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 04 Jan 2010 12:30

PEARCEY

My thoughts as well. No consistency really. I think Church was booked presumably because the ref thought he was the player who jumped into the crowd when it was clearly not him.
What I don't understand is why the club didn't therefore appeal that second yellow card which resulted in his ban.

You cant appeal a yellow card....

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 04 Jan 2010 12:42

I asked Dirk about the shirt taking off rule a while back and I'm pretty sure he said it's due to the expansion of the "global brand" of football into countries where bared torsos are taboo.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 04 Jan 2010 13:27

T.R.O.L.I. I asked Dirk about the shirt taking off rule a while back and I'm pretty sure he said it's due to the expansion of the "global brand" of football into countries where bared torsos are taboo.

But its not a taboo in this country, surely?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Jan 2010 14:58

TBM
PEARCEY

You cant appeal a yellow card....

Ok. Didn't know that. Cheers.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jan 2010 19:34

TBM
AF2
TBM .

True, i just see whats so bad about it?

It was brought in after a steward had both legs broken as the crowd surged forward to try and deliberately hug a player who'd scored.