The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
The Informant

Re: The generic transfer thread

by The Informant » 23 Jun 2017 10:25

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit Salah joins Liverpool. Could reach €40M if all payments are made.

Good signing that - and whilst it's a club record, given some of the fees being talked of this summer, not a bad price for someone still improving and with a goal every two games from the wing.

It's not a club record.

I thought you would know your team better than this.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Jun 2017 10:34

The Informant
Sanguine
Winston Biscuit Salah joins Liverpool. Could reach €40M if all payments are made.

Good signing that - and whilst it's a club record, given some of the fees being talked of this summer, not a bad price for someone still improving and with a goal every two games from the wing.

It's not a club record.

£36.9m is more than the £35m paid for Andy Carroll, right? Most reports saying it is £43.9m with add-ons.

The Informant

by The Informant » 23 Jun 2017 10:43

Sanguine
The Informant
Sanguine

It's not a club record.

£36.9m is more than the £35m paid for Andy Carroll, right? Most reports saying it is £43.9m with add-ons.

It isn't - Liverpool confirmed its under 35m

Plastic

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jun 2017 10:44

The Informant
Sanguine

It's not a club record.

People still doing the 'good signing that' thing. When will people learn that it isn't a good signing unless they perform well for the club?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Jun 2017 10:53

The Informant
It isn't - Liverpool confirmed its under 35m

Plastic

Cool. Even better.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jun 2017 20:29

Hughes to Watford is great for everybody who isn't Derby. Since McAnuff got his chance I had him as a contender for 'best player who hasn't played in the Premier League'.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Jun 2017 20:57

£8m worth

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jun 2017 09:52

Royal Ginger Hughes to Watford is great for everybody who isn't Derby. Since McAnuff got his chance I had him as a contender for 'best player who hasn't played in the Premier League'.

I'd agree. A very tidy little player who could really kick on and impress people if things go his way.

No Fixed Abode People still doing the 'good signing that' thing. When will people learn that it isn't a good signing unless they perform well for the club?

Disagree. IMO it can be a good signing regardless of how it turns out if it makes sense and you agree with why they might've signed a player.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jun 2017 15:21

Hoop Blah
Royal Ginger
No Fixed Abode People still doing the 'good signing that' thing. When will people learn that it isn't a good signing unless they perform well for the club?

Disagree. IMO it can be a good signing regardless of how it turns out if it makes sense and you agree with why they might've signed a player.

Disagree. You can buy a player for £50m, he turns out to be rubbish, you let him go for £25m. That isn't a good signing.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jun 2017 20:36

No Fixed Abode Disagree. You can buy a player for £50m, he turns out to be rubbish, you let him go for £25m. That isn't a good signing.

For me that's just a bad outcome, not necessarily a bad signing.

If that £50m player was the best young centre back around, potentially worth £75m, and your side was crying out for a young centre back then it would be a good signing.

The fact it didn't work out just means that the gamble that exists with any signing didn't pay off.

Paying way over the odds for a player, signing someone that the squad doesn't need, or bringing in a player that is clearly out of their depth for the level you require would be a bad signing.

double d

by double d » 26 Jun 2017 20:43

Hoop Blah
No Fixed Abode Disagree. You can buy a player for £50m, he turns out to be rubbish, you let him go for £25m. That isn't a good signing.

If that £50m player was the best young centre back around, potentially worth £75m, and your side was crying out for a young centre back then it would be a good signing.

The fact it didn't work out just means that the gamble that exists with any signing didn't pay off.

Paying way over the odds for a player, signing someone that the squad doesn't need, or bringing in a player that is clearly out of their depth for the level you require would be a bad signing.

double d

by double d » 26 Jun 2017 22:12

Hoop Blah

John stones for eg. 50 mill worth now.... no way. Maybe like 30 mill now. But in a few years he will be worth about 70 to 80 million maybe even 150 and be the best defender ever in the world.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2017 12:37

So Utd reportedly close to signing Matic for £40m. Chelsea saw them coming I think.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 Jun 2017 12:51

Bertrand Traore completes £8.8m deal to Lyon. Decent young player. Hope he does well so we can buy him back for £50m.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Jun 2017 13:49

What's the story on Matic, Kezmond? I haven't seen him much but have the general feeling that was highly thought of? got a replacement lined up?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2017 16:29

No Fixed Abode Bertrand Traore completes £8.8m deal to Lyon. Decent young player. Hope he does well so we can buy him back for £50m.

That seems a ridiculously low fee. How long does he have left on his contract?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Jun 2017 09:24

Hoop Blah
Royal Ginger Hughes to Watford is great for everybody who isn't Derby. Since McAnuff got his chance I had him as a contender for 'best player who hasn't played in the Premier League'.

I'd agree. A very tidy little player who could really kick on and impress people if things go his way.

Yep. And I hope it works out for him simply because he has gone to Watford. He was linked with a few bigger clubs before, including Liverpool, but I'd sooner someone of Hughes' ability built a career rather than following the well-trodden route of a move to a big club, a couple of loan deals, and then oblivion.

I wonder if Michael Hector will make it 14 loan deals in his career next season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2017 11:51

Hoop Blah

I assumed Kes was talking about Torres.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Jun 2017 12:26

From Despair To Where?
Hoop Blah

I assumed Kes was talking about Torres.

He wasn't a bad signing though. Played an integral part in us winning the Champions League.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2017 13:53

I assumed you were being self deprecating after your Traore "we can by him back for £50m" comment.

10373 posts