The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jan 2020 08:51

in July Winston Biscuit West Brom and England under 16 centre forward Louie Barry joins Barcelona

now reportedly talking to Villa about a permanent move back to England

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2020 09:33

Hendo
From Despair To Where? Just looking at some figures for 17/18 onwards (basically the last 2 1/2 years) and little old Bournemouth (£85m) have a higher nett transfer spend than 3 of last season's continental cup finalists (Chelsea £80m, Spurs £75m, Liverpool £51m).

In fact, in that period, Bournemouth have paid more in transfer fees than we have in our entire history.

More evidence against the plucky little Bournemouth myth.

I miscalculated the Liverpool figure, its actually £80m but the point still stands.

One thing I would say about Liverpool is that in 3 of the last 4 years, they've made a profit on transfers. They buy big but what they seem to be brilliant at is getting clubs like Bournemouth to shell out £20m on players like Dominic Solanke. They get big money for very average players.

I know there's rumours of Ake going for £40m but Bournemouth really aren't that good at selling.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 08 Jan 2020 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 08 Jan 2020 09:51

Bournemouth got Ake from Chelsea, and the buy back clause is £40 million. I can't claim to know if there's a sell-on clause, but I suspect there might be.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 08 Jan 2020 10:04

But yes, they've spent a lot of money on players that probably arent worth it. Unless they stay up, and then.. they are, I guess?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Jan 2020 10:39

From Despair To Where?
Hendo
From Despair To Where? Just looking at some figures for 17/18 onwards (basically the last 2 1/2 years) and little old Bournemouth (£85m) have a higher nett transfer spend than 3 of last season's continental cup finalists (Chelsea £80m, Spurs £75m, Liverpool £51m).

In fact, in that period, Bournemouth have paid more in transfer fees than we have in our entire history.

I miscalculated the Liverpool figure, its actually £80m but the point still stands.

One thing I would say about Liverpool is that in 3 of the last 4 years, they've made a profit on transfers. They buy big but what they seem to be brilliant at is getting clubs like Bournemouth to shell out £20m on players like Dominic Solanke. They get big money for very average players.

I know there's rumours of Ake going for £40m but Bournemouth really aren't that good at selling.

Also worth noting that whilst they buy big when they need to, they buy intelligently too. Salah, Mane and Firmino cost a total £100m.

My favourite two transfers though are Andy Robertson (bought from Hull for £8m), and to your point, Kevin Stewart, who was sold to Hull for £5m, rising to £8m based on appearances, a threhsold that was passed, meaning that Robertson for Stewart was essentially a swap deal.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2020 10:49

Apparently Klopp is very, very big on analytics based scouting. Kind of like big time moneyball, deliberately targeting players from below the very top echelon of clubs with the right personality and work ethic and maybe something to prove.

The afformentioned 3 for example, bought from Roma, Southampton and Hoffenheim. Had that been from Juventus, Chelsea and Bayern, you'd be looking at double that.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 08 Jan 2020 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jan 2020 10:54

Sanguine
From Despair To Where?
Hendo

Also worth noting that whilst they buy big when they need to, they buy intelligently too. Salah, Mane and Firmino cost a total £100m.

My favourite two transfers though are Andy Robertson (bought from Hull for £8m), and to your point, Kevin Stewart, who was sold to Hull for £5m, rising to £8m based on appearances, a threhsold that was passed, meaning that Robertson for Stewart was essentially a swap deal.

I think a lot of people had written Salah off, especially in England after his pretty damp squib of a transfer to Chelsea. That was a bit of a masterstroke, although I am not sure even Klopp thought it would work out as well as it did for him, especially in that first season.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2020 11:27

Looks like Gylfi will be on the way from Everton as Ancelotti throws a wobbly to stamp his 'authority'

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2020 11:31

From Despair To Where? Apparently Klopp is very, very big on analytics based scouting. Kind of like big time moneyball, deliberately targeting players from below the very top echelon of clubs with the right personality and work ethic and maybe something to prove.

The afformentioned 3 for example, bought from Roma, Southampton and Hoffenheim. Had that been from Juventus, Chelsea and Bayern, you'd be looking at double that.

"right personality and work ethic".
I remember the late, great Bill Shankly saying that anybody could see whether a player could play so more important was what the player was like as a person and whether they would fit into a team.

It strikes me that this is not taken into account (more fool them) by those that buy the likes of Pogba or , even worse, Balotelli and El Haj-Diouf etc. where Liverpool stepped away from earlier sound principles.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 08 Jan 2020 12:17

From Despair To Where? Apparently Klopp is very, very big on analytics based scouting. Kind of like big time moneyball, deliberately targeting players from below the very top echelon of clubs with the right personality and work ethic and maybe something to prove.

Interesting. Looking down the list of his signings, it's only really the £4-5m signings that haven't paid off. And Grujic, Karius, Klavan, Solanke have all been sold or loaned out with little financial loss.

Slightly bemused that Barry Hunter still appears to be their chief scout. My clearest memory of him was his love of squirting hospitality people doing pre-match tours with a plastic water pistol. Wonder if he's ever drenched Jürgen.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jan 2020 14:28

Swindon’s only goalscorer recalled back to Bradford. Interesting development especially as the player himself said he didn’t want to go back

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jan 2020 14:51

URZZZZ Swindon’s only goalscorer recalled back to Bradford. Interesting development especially as the player himself said he didn’t want to go back

just an attempt at damaging a promotion rival, no?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jan 2020 15:15

URZZZZ Swindon’s only goalscorer recalled back to Bradford. Interesting development especially as the player himself said he didn’t want to go back

He's scoring goals, Bradford need a goalscorer and want promotion. Not really sure how its that interesting or newsworthy.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jan 2020 16:04

Old Man Andrews

He's scoring goals, Bradford need a goalscorer and want promotion. Not really sure how its that interesting or newsworthy.

The player himself openly said he didn’t want to return to Bradford. This is, by the way, the same player that totally flopped last year at Bradford

Not sure why Bradford would want a striker who clearly doesn’t want to play for them. It is pretty sad if it’s just to stop “Swindon” considering how close Bradford were to the Champ a couple of years ago

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Jan 2020 16:20

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

The player himself openly said he didn’t want to return to Bradford. This is, by the way, the same player that totally flopped last year at Bradford

Not sure why Bradford would want a striker who clearly doesn’t want to play for them. It is pretty sad if it’s just to stop “Swindon” considering how close Bradford were to the Champ a couple of years ago

I suspect Bradford have had offers for him elsewhere and want to cash in. If Swindon really want him they'll have to stump up what he's valued at. Not sure what else you'd expect them to do.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jan 2020 16:28

Vision
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews He's scoring goals, Bradford need a goalscorer and want promotion. Not really sure how its that interesting or newsworthy.

I suspect Bradford have had offers for him elsewhere and want to cash in. If Swindon really want him they'll have to stump up what he's valued at. Not sure what else you'd expect them to do.

Or let him stay at Swindon, let him score a shed load more and hence increase his transfer value in the summer

Win win for Bradford that way. Either he performs well there and his transfer value goes up. Or he performs poorly which hinders a rival

I suspect he may go back to Swindon anyway but permanently, in which case it’s fine. But if he’s gone back to Bradford to play, and doesn’t score, what does that say about Bradford’s manager?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jan 2020 20:55

Old Man Andrews

For someone who bangs on about the lower leagues I would have thought it would be right up your street.

Swindon are top and Bradford are 4th. It could scupper Swindon’s promotion push.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jan 2020 21:20

leon
Old Man Andrews

For someone who bangs on about the lower leagues I would have thought it would be right up your street.

Swindon are top and Bradford are 4th. It could scupper Swindon’s promotion push.

Don’t worry, he wouldn’t have mentioned anything if someone else posted it

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jan 2020 21:24

leon
Old Man Andrews

No the recall aspect isn't that interesting. Where he ends up on a permanent deal will be.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 08 Jan 2020 21:42

genome Seems Arsenal fans are laughing at Spurs because Harry Winks might be off to City, despite the fact they've spent the last couple of years goading Spurs fans and saying he's shite. Football fandom really puzzles me...

I like Harry Winks, tidy player. Needs to play a more advanced role though.

He's a West Ham player though, not a Man City player.

10373 posts